• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Frenzied Whirlwind or Venomous Bite on a Naja

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 slot Naja
Going with AI and looking to add an AOE

Pet will be a help with the Boss, but a shift to spawn pet...rooftop, champ spawns...

Anyway I have always liked the pets that poison everything in sight, but the frenzied whirlwind seems like it might be a better choice....

I have read about both builds here and there ... But couldn't find a real good comparison...

Hoping for some experience to tip me one way or another... Thanks in advance...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
2 slot Naja

Pet will be a help with the Boss, but a shift to spawn pet...rooftop, champ spawns...

Anyway I have always liked the pets that poison everything in sight, but the frenzied whirlwind seems like it might be a better choice....

I have read about both builds here and there ... But couldn't find a real good comparison...

I think you can add AoE First, like poison breath, that would do area lethal, then add FzWW that does good single target plus WW to spawn that is aggroed on to the pet, and lastly, poison magic that is also so far pretty cheap. Make sure you add them in the correct sequence : AoE poison breath, then FzWW, then lastly poison magic, if you want this spec.:)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think you can add AoE First, like poison breath, that would do area lethal, then add FzWW that does good single target plus WW to spawn that is aggroed on to the pet, and lastly, poison magic that is also so far pretty cheap. Make sure you add them in the correct sequence : AoE poison breath, then FzWW, then lastly poison magic, if you want this spec.:)
It already has Poison magic, no need to select it again.
Be careful when loading a pet up with abilities, too many abilities and it doesn't use the best ones as frequently. Poison+AI+FWW+Poison Breath is a lot of abilities, it's not going to specialize in either single target damage, nor AoE.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have a naja with poison+poison breath+FWW. Very good pet for AoE.

I prefer not to have more than 3 abilities (including magic) on my pets if I can help it. Any more than that and damage gets too unpredictable.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I have a naja with poison+poison breath+FWW. Very good pet for AoE.

I prefer not to have more than 3 abilities (including magic) on my pets if I can help it. Any more than that and damage gets too unpredictable.
Yep..That is a nice spec. It rocks..

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
2 slot Naja

I like to present facts alongside my opinion, so lets start with those:

Frenzied Whirlwind
  • Expensive to train (700 points when fully scrolled)
  • Low mana cost (20 per use)
  • Good AoE damage, Decent single target damage
  • Always Physical Damage -- does not follow your pet's damage spread
  • Short-range AoE, enemies need to be 1-2 tiles away to be hit by it
Poison Breath
  • Cheap to train (100 points if your pet is poison capable), doesn't need to be scrolled
  • High mana cost (50 per use)
  • Low AoE damage, poor single target damage
  • Does no damage to poison-immune enemies
  • Very large AoE range, will aggro enemies across most of the screen
  • If Poison applies, can continually keep enemies aggro'd on the pet due to constant ticking damage

Each has their pros and cons, but they do work very well together. Poison Breath can pull in surrounding mobs, and FWW can help kill them faster. If the mobs are not poison immune then the ticking poison does a great job to keep aggro on your pet. However, like any pet with multiple abilities (and even those with just 1), it often times will not cast what you want it to cast, when you want it to cast. Numerous times I've sat there pleading with my pet to cast a PB so it will pickup all the aggro and it just looks at me like "nah" :)

I do have a PB/FWW Najasaurus, and it does well in the right situations. TTK will be fairly slow on higher waves or stronger mobs, so being able to supplement the damage by having 120 eval, spellweaving, or necromage helps a bit.

Personally, I would probably always take FWW over Poison Breath if I was looking for AoE damage and the pet could afford the 700 points for it. However, if the enemies are vulnerable to poison, PB can be great for picking up aggro so you can AoE down the enemies yourself.

PB can also end up aggroing enemies that you maybe didn't want to pull yet (@Khaelor's unicorn loved doing this in Khaldun... kept things exciting!~)

AI will definitely outperform FWW for single target damage, so if you are relying only on your pet for damage against the boss, you will kill it much faster with an AI pet vs a FWW/PB pet.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would be good hunting spots for those poison/physical-based pets - champs and peerless?

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Always Physical Damage -- does not follow your pet's damage spread
Ai! That is something we missed before, so thanks for your facts! Bit of a bummer, since we only trained this so far on one of our fire beetles... Learn something every day! Oh well, he still feels rather effective!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What would be good hunting spots for those poison/physical-based pets - champs and peerless?
I did some research: Abyssal Infernal seems to be a good hunting spot with a Naja!

Last edited:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Update: I soloed Neira today with Stealth-Tamer and a Najasaurus. Absolutely no problem. Cool!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, Neira is pretty smooth unless you go in that big room with the doors when it is full of lichs and don't have a door macro. The halls are easy to control the mob density. A magic user can wipe out things while pet does its thing.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I did it in the Lost Lands. I dont do it in Deceit on Siege, too many PKs ;-)