• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Free Accounts?

G

Can anyone tell me what's involved with the Free Accounts coming out? I could not find out any info about the Free Accounts and what they will involve? Can a sim still get married or will they be able to make money? Can they move into a house?

When is the Free accounts going to start? When is the Merge going to happen?

Any idea's?

SimsOnlineDude

I

imported_Juniper Skye

Free accounts meaning trial accounts? You can read about it here in Polly's ea land faq thread.

Basically they will be free trial with very limited restrictions.

G

Not a trial, I was told after the merge tommrow, there suppose to be handing out free accounts for good but with limited access? What kinda access are we talking about?

B

B Jordan

There isn't too much info available about free accounts yet.

I remember reading they won't be able to upload custom content. I'm waiting for them to get free accounts ready.

Second Life just doesn't compete with TSO for me. ><

G

Will we still be able to make money, I've heard that they start with 0$ and can we get married and move into houses?

G

Anyone can get "married" in game, regardless of what type of account they have as it is simply an understanding between two sims.

Having no money, being able to own a size 0 lot and "not being able to resize" might narrow down your chances of finding someone to marry though

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

Will we still be able to make money, I've heard that they start with 0$ and can we get married and move into houses?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I've heard is that no, those with free accounts won't be able to make money in-game, they will have to buy their simoleans from EA, which sucks
. The whole premise behind being a free vs. a premium player for some is not being able to afford the monthly premium, so I don't understand how EA thinks they'll be able to buy simoleans just because they can't make them in-game. If the money isn't there, it isn't there. The only thing this will plug is people who CAN afford to be premium members choosing not to be just because they'd rather spend the money somewhere else, but I don't think *all* free play players are gonna fall into that category.

I also heard they will not be able to be roomies anywhere, and the latest blog entry from yesterday says they will only own 'size 0 lots' and I have no clue how big a size 0 would be. As for getting married, that's always been a strictly RP thing since there is no distinguishing in game who's married to who other than profiles, so I don't see why free players wouldn't be able to do that.

Hope that helps some?

G

That does help but my question is my wife in game and me own a house in alphaville I just finished my trial up of 14 days. I'm waiting for the free accounts to start for life as i have no job in RL and no money saved up. Will I be able to move her house to Alphaville to EALand and move back in with her with this free account thing?

G

<blockquote><hr>

That does help but my question is my wife in game and me own a house in alphaville I just finished my trial up of 14 days. I'm waiting for the free accounts to start for life as i have no job in RL and no money saved up. Will I be able to move her house to Alphaville to EALand and move back in with her with this free account thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a roomie, I doubt it
If her account is a paid one though, she would still be able to keep the property and you could visit her there. Everything I've read has said that free account players will not be able to roomie anywhere, I guess because they don't want free players to have the same privileges paid account holders do as a roomie, and there's probably not a way to differentiate code-wise without simply saying free account holders can't move in. I do sympathize with the limited income situation though, but hopefully you'll be able to find a job soon and be able to upgrade your free account to a premium one. If that happens within the next 90 days, you'd even be able to continue playing on the account that you used for the free trial, as those sims will merge to EA Land once the merges start happening. If you don't pay within 90 days though, those sims will poof, so I hope you get to come back in within that time frame!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to check out the blog to answer your questions:

<blockquote><hr>

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

If tomorrow’s update goes well, Thursday 1/31/2008 noonish we will:

Set all cities except TC3 to paying players only.
Disable character creation in all cities except TC3 and EALand
Close down all moves.
Enable moves from all cities (except TC3 and Betaville) to EALand, aka the bullet train. (Rember the bullet train is with out simoleans and properties.)

I've bolded a few bits that are specific to your queries.

Only paying accounts will be able to play in EA-Land at first. Once all the new things for the "free player" account have been finalised and tested, it will be implemented in EA-Land, but not yet.

If she wants her house in Alphaville to move to EA-Land, she will have to wait for the planned city merge so that the property transfers.

Polly

G

I'll tell you what Greg told me. Free accts will be restricted to EA lots which currently are residential lots, this will change as other property types are changed to EA lots. It is my understanding that free accts will not be able to visit TSO lots, and cannot live in TSO lots either. He also mentioned the possibility of a paid free acct, which would mean a free player could buy an amount of paid time say a day or a week. This is not set in stone, so dont get your hopes up as it may not happen. Next would be premium accts which of course have full access to the game. Its also possible that in the future we might have other premium options, such as the ability to pay for higher services like more lots, bigger inventory etc.

I realize I'm not giving you much hope here, I imagine your sim wife could visit you on your size 0 lot. Free accts will be extremely restricted. Of course the way players exploited the trial accts for years, and the way players complained about this problem, we should have expected this.

Will these restrictions give free players any incentive to change to a paid acct? I dont know, in my opinion not really, but we shall see what happens.

G

Will there be 'free' accounts?

From 30th January, free accounts will only be available in TC3.

The Trial Accounts will be replaced with heavily restricted freeplay accounts. Fee accounts will only have one avatar and other restrictions, for instance they will not be able to upload custom content. Free Player accounts are being tested in TC3 with the update on 30th January 2008.

Free Player: Only able to have zero size lots, and will not be able to resize. This is a work in progress. More changes will be occuring regarding free player restrictions

Once work on the Free Player account is completed and fully tested, it should be available in EA-Land.

This is from the FAQ made by your staff? I've just tried to login to both Test Centers and it says my billing info needs to be entered. But your faq says free accounts will be tested today? I have not been able to get in? is there
an issue with my account?

G

1. Cities are currently down for updates.

2. The information is from the blog and the latest update news

I suggest you wait for news that all cities are back up and running and then try logging in.

Polly

G

I agree free accounts will bite, this really sucks, they should be like paying accounts but no custom uploads. I was a beta tester for this game back in the day and lost my old account and came back to the game later 4 years to test it out again to see how many players where still playing! I think free accounts will be lame! This Sucks!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I agree free accounts will bite, this really sucks, they should be like paying accounts but no custom uploads. I was a beta tester for this game back in the day and lost my old account and came back to the game later 4 years to test it out again to see how many players where still playing! I think free accounts will be lame! This Sucks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, partially. I believe, though I am not sure where to suggest this since I can't on the blog and here is not the right place, that there should be a status in between, specifically for returning players that want to try the game out before commiting to paying for time again....maybe a restriction of accounts created more than 2 years ago or something. I'm not sure what they'd call this, but it should have restrictions that don't exist for premium players, but aren't quite a restrictive as simple free accounts. This would be sort of like a 'grandfathering' system for returning players.....and if it needed to be restricted to how many days of free time, make it something like 30 or 60 days. I think this would be a great way to lure returning players back into the game, since that is the ultimate goal. Thoughts?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, partially. I believe, though I am not sure where to suggest this since I can't on the blog and here is not the right place, that there should be a status in between, specifically for returning players that want to try the game out before commiting to paying for time again....maybe a restriction of accounts created more than 2 years ago or something. I'm not sure what they'd call this, but it should have restrictions that don't exist for premium players, but aren't quite a restrictive as simple free accounts. This would be sort of like a 'grandfathering' system for returning players.....and if it needed to be restricted to how many days of free time, make it something like 30 or 60 days. I think this would be a great way to lure returning players back into the game, since that is the ultimate goal. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree fully, returning players that took time off after the beta, should have a 30-60 day trial non restricted account to see if they like the game before they pay for the game again. I was a beta tester, but I lost my account info and my beta account/founder account might still be in there, I have lost all my info and everything. As for thoughts I would agree returning players should have a longer trial period then free accounts with no restrictions. I hope that EA looks at this thread and considers it.

G

OK so how bout the thousands of trial accts that were created just to exploit the system?? Technically they would be returning players.

I'm all for giving returning players an incentive, but not in the way of free play. I watched the way trial accts affected the game and I'm thrilled that they are changing it. If you want incentive, reactivate your founder acct and take advantage of the upcoming major incentive that I fought hard for and thats amnesty. You'll get your gifts that you earned through paying for your acct back.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree fully, returning players that took time off after the beta, should have a 30-60 day trial non restricted account to see if they like the game before they pay for the game again. I was a beta tester, but I lost my account info and my beta account/founder account might still be in there, I have lost all my info and everything. As for thoughts I would agree returning players should have a longer trial period then free accounts with no restrictions. I hope that EA looks at this thread and considers it.

[/ QUOTE ]

For clarification: I didn't say *no* restrictions....I don't feel it should be without restriction because then the returning player would have no reason to become a premium member, and that IS EA's objective, to put enough restrictions on free members that they are enticed to become premium, but I feel returning players should not have *as many* restrictions as other free members, giving them an edge because they played through the first beta and a while thereafter. And I don't even think it should be a permanent edge after the 30 or 60 day mark, I think that's long enough for them to decide if they want to go back to being a regular free member with the same restrictions as anyone else, or upgrade to a premium member at that point.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste of time and it will never happen. 30-60 days? How long do you need to see if you like it? Sounds like you want a free ride. Come over and cut my grass this summer and I'll give you the ten bucks, sheesh. Does your sim wife know you're so cheap? Someone should tell her. Seriously.

G

<blockquote><hr>

OK so how bout the thousands of trial accts that were created just to exploit the system?? Technically they would be returning players.

I'm all for giving returning players an incentive, but not in the way of free play. I watched the way trial accts affected the game and I'm thrilled that they are changing it. If you want incentive, reactivate your founder acct and take advantage of the upcoming major incentive that I fought hard for and thats amnesty. You'll get your gifts that you earned through paying for your acct back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Under the system I suggest trial accounts would not be returning players if they'd never paid any time, or if they weren't founders if people go for that. I started to suggest specifically founders at first, but players seem to flog anyone that suggest the original founders get anything else special besides their founder's flag LOL.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Under the system I suggest trial accounts would not be returning players if they'd never paid any time, or if they weren't founders if people go for that. I started to suggest specifically founders at first, but players seem to flog anyone that suggest the original founders get anything else special besides their founder's flag LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a previous founder, and lost my account info. Founders should have a special deal going!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste of time and it will never happen. 30-60 days? How long do you need to see if you like it? Sounds like you want a free ride. Come over and cut my grass this summer and I'll give you the ten bucks, sheesh. Does your sim wife know you're so cheap? Someone should tell her. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming the guy is an adult just because he has a sim wife. He might not be old enough to have anything other than a part-time job that any teenager can get, and you don't know that he's not looking, either. He didn't say he'd *never* have a job, he just said he didn't have one currently. I'm sure if he had the money he'd pay for his account in a heartbeat to be able to play the game with his sim wife......it doesn't sound like he's too cheap, it sounds like right now it's just not there to spend. To quote you: sheesh! I agree with calling someone to the carpet if you *know* they are in the wrong, but all I saw from you was inferences and assumptions. Don't draw and quarter the guy before he deserves it, unless you're trying to make sure he *never* joins as a premium member......

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a previous founder, and lost my account info. Founders should have a special deal going!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you have your flame resistant suit on, theres a whole slew of people who hate founders because they think we think we are special. Yes I am a founder too.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you have your flame resistant suit on, theres a whole slew of people who hate founders because they think we think we are special. Yes I am a founder too.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are only founders because we helped beta test the game and get all the bugs out of the system!

I know people hate founders, but I lost my founders with my other account. Please let's make a deal here! People who don't own credit cards or a paypal account with no job should have some sort of deal going?

And the person who offered me a job mowing his Lawn, i'm 28 and male and I don't have a job because I just got laid off my job. I'm currently looking!

I hope this clears things up

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody who is a founder and stuck with this game for a while after launch knowing that it was not ready for launch *is* special in my book. No, not special as in deserves a medal or the keys to the city of EA Land or something, but yes, special enough to deserve something like this for not giving up and walking away the way others chose to do, IMO, and I'm not afraid to say it!

Yep, donning my flame-resistant gear too, this wouldn't be different than any other day LMAO

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody who is a founder and stuck with this game for a while after launch knowing that it was not ready for launch *is* special in my book. No, not special as in deserves a medal or the keys to the city of EA Land or something, but yes, special enough to deserve something like this for not giving up and walking away the way others chose to do, IMO, and I'm not afraid to say it!

Yep, donning my flame-resistant gear too, this wouldn't be different than any other day LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I stuck my neck out for you guys during all the beta knowing the problems with everything. I helped all the way until it came to time to pay for an account which I did for 1 year after it went public. I even bought a CD and have a CD key for the game! I'm just wondering if EA cares about it's beta testers/founders?

G

<blockquote><hr>

People who don't own credit cards or a paypal account with no job should have some sort of deal going?

[/ QUOTE ]

They do have a deal going, free play accts. Previously you have only been allowed to play for 2 weeks free, going forward it will be unlimited time.

Seriously my main issue is the exploit potential. If there is any way in the world to exploit a free acct people will do it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You're assuming the guy is an adult just because he has a sim wife. He might not be old enough to have anything other than a part-time job that any teenager can get, and you don't know that he's not looking, either. He didn't say he'd *never* have a job, he just said he didn't have one currently. I'm sure if he had the money he'd pay for his account in a heartbeat to be able to play the game with his sim wife......it doesn't sound like he's too cheap, it sounds like right now it's just not there to spend

[/ QUOTE ]

Look back where he said free accounts should be allowed everything but the ability to upload CC. Cheap.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hate me because I'm me - not because I'm a founder...

...wait...

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

You're assuming the guy is an adult just because he has a sim wife. He might not be old enough to have anything other than a part-time job that any teenager can get, and you don't know that he's not looking, either. He didn't say he'd *never* have a job, he just said he didn't have one currently. I'm sure if he had the money he'd pay for his account in a heartbeat to be able to play the game with his sim wife......it doesn't sound like he's too cheap, it sounds like right now it's just not there to spend

[/ QUOTE ]

Look back where he said free accounts should be allowed everything but the ability to upload CC. Cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam there's a lot more that free accounts will not be able to do . Uploading custom content is just one of them.. It sucks Free Accounts won't be able to move into a house or get money. it's kinda like wander around and do nothing!

G

<blockquote><hr>

it's kinda like wander around and do nothing!

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote the Blues Brothers....What do you want for nothing, rubber biscuit?

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
What am I missing here? If I'm paying for all the goodies, but the free accounts get all the goodies for free, why should I continue paying for goodies that everone else is getting for free????

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
You do have a special deal. Retrieve that account information to prove you are a founder and you will get back your Simmy. Other returning players will receive replacement gifts for the years that they paid to play.

B

B Jordan

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
What am I missing here? If I'm paying for all the goodies, but the free accounts get all the goodies for free, why should I continue paying for goodies that everone else is getting for free????

[/ QUOTE ]

Free accounts should still be able to visit regular lot's and interact as though they are part of the same game/world as paying accounts. Instead of being restricted to EA lots.

If you ask me, not being able to own a lot or upload custom content or use certain objects would be decent enough. But to limit some of the player base away from some of the rest of the player base is silly.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Free accounts should still be able to visit regular lot's and interact as though they are part of the same game/world as paying accounts. Instead of being restricted to EA lots.

If you ask me, not being able to own a lot or upload custom content or use certain objects would be decent enough. But to limit some of the player base away from some of the rest of the player base is silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

There basically limiting us from talking to Real players in game they want us to talk to computerized controlled Sims. It's weird but true!

B

B Jordan

Decided to bump this thread up instead of making a new one.

Is my free trial account now a free-play account in TC3? Or do I have to change it somehow?

Thinking of just trying to be able to pay again. lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

Decided to bump this thread up instead of making a new one.

Is my free trial account now a free-play account in TC3? Or do I have to change it somehow?

Thinking of just trying to be able to pay again. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Quote from the blog:

UPDATE:

Two of the previously anounced changes did not make it they are:

Subscription: Free to Paying
Skinning: It appears to be causing a crash so we have removed the sandwich board from the game.
We hope to have both of these issues corrected sometime tomorrow.

Cheers,

Lee