• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fox's bestest ever UO tip

G

Everyones knows that network speed (ping) has a lot to do with how well you do in UO, particularly PvP. Well if you have an ADSL connection for your Internet access then you may be able to half your ping.

There is a line profile technology used by ADSL ISPs to overcome certain line conditions to increase throughput, this is called Interleave. However there is a cost: latency, as much as 30ms added to your ping.

You may be able to check if your line has Interleave turned on by entering the setup page for your ADSL modem. This will typically be in the line details page and will say something like: "Line Profile: Interleave" or "Line Profile: Fast". You want "Fast" for the lowest ping.

If you want to have Interleave turned off then most ISP will do this free of charge, you just need to call their technical support and request it.

I have done this and reduced my ping to Europa from 34ms to 14ms.

Be aware that there is a possibility of a reduced throughput by having Interleave turned off. You might want to measure your line speed with one of the Internet testing sites before and after the change. Personally I got zero difference but if you get an unacceptable drop in throughput speed you might want to consider going back.

Oh - I use UK ADSL, other countries may use different ADSL technology and this may or may not apply and, of course, this is not relevent to any other kind of Internet access such as cable.

Here's a bit of background info to this : Interleave info

Enjoy.

G

He's absolutely right that 'fastpath' pings lower (faster) than 'interleaved' - but dropped packets cause trouble, too; and you might get more of those. Maybe. And besides, when you are pinging under 40, there's not a lot of room for improvement, anyway.