• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Forum not usable on a WinRT tablet when logged in

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm using IE 11.0 on my surface tablet.
If not logged in, everything works perfectly normal.

This would be the normal/expected behaviour, i.e.:
  • If I place the cursor in a textbox, the virtual keyboard slides in. When I touch outside of the keyboard and textbox, it slides out again.
  • If i touch and hold I get the context menu, if the menu is open and I touch elsewhere, it closes.
  • If i swipe in from the bottom, the address bar, favourites, current open tabs etc. slide in. If I touch outside of the slide-in-bar, the bar slides out again.
In short, things stay popped up or slided in, as long as I need them and just close on user interaction.

But as soon as I'm logged in, a lot of things seem to happen in the background, which interfere with all theses things, which pop up or slide in. I.e:
  • I place the cursor in a text box, the keyboard slides in. Without user interaction, half a second to a second later it slides out again.
  • I touch and hold, the context menu opens. Without doing anything, half a second to a second later it's gone again.
  • I swipe in the address bar, the favourites or the tabs, half a second to a second later, they're gone again.
That means:
I cannot use the context menu.
I cannot type anything.
I cannot select another tab.
I cannot select any link from my bookmarks/favourites.

In short, completely unusable.

As soon as I log out, everything is back to normal. This thing is 100% reproducable.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Have you tried with a different browser?

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately there is no other browser for WinRT. No firefox, no chrome, no opera, nothing.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I hate technology. Will post to XenForo support forums.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think once we get the forums upgraded this will be better. The problems you are seeing while logged in are the way IE11 handles cookies, and it is not playing nice with this version of xenforo. Unfortunately, the non-intel CPU's that the consumer version of the surface RT tablet uses cannot process the other browsers written for intel/amd CPU architecture. MS has released a new Suface Pro tablet that runs Windows 8 professional on a true Intel platform. It's on my wish list to pick one up, they look quite nice.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, the non-intel CPU's that the consumer version of the surface RT tablet uses cannot process the other browsers written for intel/amd CPU architecture.
That the software has to be compiled for ARM cpus (and possibly has to be refactored to make it actaully compile for ARM) is just one reason I think. Second one would be the WinRT store, where you actually have to pay to put something up there, even if you offer your app for free.

MS has released a new Suface Pro tablet that runs Windows 8 professional on a true Intel platform. It's on my wish list to pick one up, they look quite nice.
Yeah, I was tempted to buy the Surface Pro, but I'm glad I didn't.
First it's quite heavy with almost 1 kg. My RT has 680g, while this is somewhat ok, there are situations, where I would wish it would be even lighter.
Second, battery life. While the Pro 2 (thanks to the new haswell cpu) has improved over the Pro 1, it still drains power quite fast, especially if you put a heavy load on the tablet like playing games etc. Just doing office stuff or browing is ok, still, the RT runs way longer before I have to recharge.

The Pro isn't the perfect ultrabook as well as it isn't the perfect tablet. But it is still a good allrounder, if you don't push the battery to its limits.

Last edited:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That the software has to be compiled for ARM cpus (and possibly has to be refactored to make it actaully compile for ARM) is just one reason I think. Second one would be the WinRT store, where you actually have to pay to put something up there, even if you offer your app for free.

Yeah, I was tempted to buy the Surface Pro, but I'm glad I didn't.
First it's quite heavy with almost 1 kg. My RT has 680g, while this is somewhat ok, there are situations, where I would wish it would be even lighter.
Second, battery life. While the Pro 2 (thanks to the new haswell cpu) has improved over the Pro 1, it still drains power quite fast, especially if you put a heavy load on the tablet like playing games etc. Just doing office stuff or browing is ok, still, the RT runs way longer before I have to recharge.

The Pro isn't the perfect ultrabook as well as it isn't the perfect tablet. But it is still a good allrounder, if you don't push the battery to its limits.
Mike, one of the XenForo developers, would like to know if you see the same thing here: http://xenforo.com/community.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mike, one of the XenForo developers, would like to know if you see the same thing here: http://xenforo.com/community.
Works perfectly normal over there. Exactly as it should. Created an account and did some test postings. Everything worked quite fine.

Just couldn't test alerts and notifications, since noone responded to my postings (so far).

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a few alerts and notifications over there and it's still working like a charm.

Sooooo, can we expect an upgrade to the newest version in the near future? :cool:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's complicated. The current theme doesn't work post upgrade, which means I have to hire someone to make a theme based on the redesigned site, which means I have to finish redesigning the site... Only thing I can guarantee is that nobody's more anxious to upgrade everything than I am.