• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For you Linux Guru's Track your servers upstatus.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I've set up a neat way for me to keep up with when Chessy is up and thought I'd share...

Conky

Yep if you use Linux you've probably heard of Conky... For those of you who don't know what Conky is, here's a video of how I have mine set up...

[YOUTUBE]ekb0TQdvito?hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

Now notice at the bottom, I have Conky doing a ping to the Chesapeake Server, this lets me know if the server is up or down. If I get a 100% packet loss the server is dead, it also lets me know if my connection will be cruddy to the server if it's up.

You can modify any Conky design to do this, simply add the following lines to the bottom of your conkyrc file.

Code:
${color}${font caviar dreams:size=8}${alignr}'Server Name Here'
${color}${font caviar dreams:size=8}${alignr}${texeci 50 sh -c "ping -q -c5 'Server IP Here' | tail -c 30" }
So for Lake Superior for example you'd have
Code:
${color}${font caviar dreams:size=8}${alignr}Lake Superior
${color}${font caviar dreams:size=8}${alignr}${texeci 50 sh -c "ping -q -c5 63.117.27.137  | tail -c 30" }
When putting in the server name and IP do not put the entries inside of ' ' marks

To get the Server IP simply go to

UO Stratics - Server Information

and look it up. You can remove the ${alignr} portions to change the font alignment from right aligned to left or change the colors and size of the font like you would with any Conky. This should make it easy to stick this into any Conky you wish.

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very cool. I will need to add that to my conky, though I just borked my ubuntu oneiric install.