• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

For those hoping for TSO2 or 3

• Thread starter Just_the_Fax_Plz
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

Just_the_Fax_Plz

From what I know there is no plans by EA to EVER make another sims multiplayer game. This is what I read:

"But while Sims players are a connected bunch, EA's research reveals that they're not too keen on playing together, so there's no online multiplayer - not even an Animal Crossing style "visit my town" mode. Humble, Bell and the rest of the team feel that this isn't what The Sims is about. Trading items, and even trading Sim characters or entire town layouts, is one thing, but the actual running Sim itself tends to be a very private experience, something that users by and large don't want to share. The lack of multiplayer will disappoint some, but EA seems confident of its decision."

Seems like EA doesn't need millions more in profits & are happy enough with the 1.8 billion they made in gross profits last year. Doesn't sound like they have any clue what players really want & frankly doesn't seem like they care.

G

If you were to compare the number of people that actually play TSO with those that play the offline.... you wouldnt make that statement.
Even at its peak.. TSO never had near the numbers offline sims have had. I think EA is correct not to make offline sims online. It is sad that TSO didnt make it, but its over, sad but true. The offline community is HUGE... HUGE! A few thousand people spread around the world that enjoy the online version wont make EA change their minds. They are a small minority.. extremely small.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Even at its peak.. TSO never had near the numbers offline sims have had.

[/ QUOTE ]... as a result of a rushed launch of a botched product that wasn't ready, with features that were promised but never came - or did too late.

It's no wonder really is it? EA started the race with a 3 legged donkey due to their own greed, so it's no great surprise they lost.

I

imported_SaraFunnyweather

Yeah the offline players are a bigger crowd but the offline games were sold internationally from the start. While I was still living in sweden I never saw the online version advertised and you couldn't buy it in any of the stores. If it hadn't been for a teacher in a computer class talking about online games and using the upcoming TSO beta as an example of online worlds I would never have tried the game at all.

So comparing the numbers considering this does seem kind of unfair. I'm also wondering if more US players chose to play other games partly because they did want to meet more international players than TSO could offer? So it is a bit disappointing that EA has reached this conclusion without ever giving TSO a real chanse from the start.

J

Just_the_Fax_Plz

WOW, ya think?! Geez. LOL What does that have to do with them overlooking millions they could make ON TOP of offline games.

Show me where I said that my comments were COMPARING the two formats?

Hey the weather where I am is great! Find something antagonistic to say to THAT!

J

Just_the_Fax_Plz

And besides... EA didn't make 1.8 billion in gross profits off of just Sims games, that is ALL their profits for EVERYTHING they do/make.

J

Juliana

Just ignore her. From what I have seen, she has gone to every thread &amp; posted her "BUT ITS OVER, DEAL WITH IT" to anyone who has tried to think outloud about alternatives or could-have-beens or anything else.

G

check out www.thesims2.com
they are having a celebration for the 100 million Sims games sold.
I think that if you do the math.. you can see that The Sims, TS2, and other Sim games make for a huge chunk of that 1.8 billion.

G

they never give this game a chance from the get go its their own fault it failed and no one elses its a good game the only thing wrong with it is the people that own it!!!! no advertizing ... lack of updates... they didnt hire the subscription costs.... they could have sold in game advertizing and made objects in the game to advertize but did they do it no!!! they didnt... theres alot of things they could have done but they chose not to cuz they plain did not care!!!!!!... never have never will .. and i for one after this is over with will never buy another game of theres again ever !!!! Oh and heresthe bigg ticker!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY NONE WHAT SO EVER CUSTOMER SUPPORT IT KILLED IT FROM THE GET GO... GET IT EA GET IT ... GOT IT ... GOOD!!!!! LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!

G

<blockquote><hr>

LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!

[/ QUOTE ]EA are too arrogant and too big to think they can learn anything from anyone.

I

imported_TraciRK

<blockquote><hr>

From what I know there is no plans by EA to EVER make another sims multiplayer game. This is what I read:

"But while Sims players are a connected bunch, EA's research reveals that they're not too keen on playing together, so there's no online multiplayer - not even an Animal Crossing style "visit my town" mode. Humble, Bell and the rest of the team feel that this isn't what The Sims is about. Trading items, and even trading Sim characters or entire town layouts, is one thing, but the actual running Sim itself tends to be a very private experience, something that users by and large don't want to share. The lack of multiplayer will disappoint some, but EA seems confident of its decision."

Seems like EA doesn't need millions more in profits &amp; are happy enough with the 1.8 billion they made in gross profits last year. Doesn't sound like they have any clue what players really want &amp; frankly doesn't seem like they care.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think the graphics are what hurt the game. If they made one based on the S2 I think it would go over much better. Not to mention if they advertised it on the Sims2 website, which has tons of players who go there everyday. I have sims 2 and every expansion pack and would love to see it moved to the net but unfortunately, I must be a minority since their research says different. Wonder what research they did? I have never received a questionaire. Thanks for the info!

G

<blockquote><hr>

WOW, ya think?! Geez. LOL What does that have to do with them overlooking millions they could make ON TOP of offline games.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has to do with the fact that they took the most popular game franchise with millions of players world-wide, attempted an online version, and couldn't bring in enough players to make it profitable.

G

General reminder:

The RoC is still in effect.

Show respect at all times.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully agree with EA's research revelation here. Early in the evolution of TSO, players complained relentlessly about other sims interacting with their characters without their permission. An auto-timeout on interactions was added so that players wouldn't be caught offguard by others trying to interact. Next came the complaints from home-owners about their roomies redesigning their homes without permissions. Ergo came the roomie permissions on build mode. Even this year when more players were forced to work together in the job tracks rather than stand for endless hours alone at jam station more complaints were voiced over other players interfering with the actions of their characters on jobsites.

One of the very first things I noticed about the offline sims games was the "control" factor of the game mechanics. Players are challenged to control their sims in every aspect of the game. Skills, jobs, needs, money, interactions. This lead me to believe that it appeals to people that like to have control of their real life too. For those that were not drawn to the control aspect of the game it was the creativity side of creating and building. I suspect most that were drawn to this side of the game were the ones that preferred to use cheat codes for money so they could spend time creating rather than playing the control game.

TSO offered no cheats for the creative player. TSO was designed to force players to work together. Those that wanted to play solo were able to achieve the same game effect of team oriented players only if they paid for more accounts. The solo player with more accounts was constantly bashed by the single account player that chose to play in the team oriented style of game play.

The archives of this forum is filled with arguments, debates, and disagreements. I applaud EA for finally realizing that "sim" players really prefer to play alone. As for this community.... Sim players will go back to playing with their sims. MMORPG players will venture out and play other games. Social players will find a new virtual world to live in without games or sims.

We were a very unique and diverse community and I doubt there is another one anywhere online that can compare.

G

Well what i think we should start Doing is try too put a bug in these other gaming companys too see if they could make another online game that we all could play like this game... all of these gaming sites have that contact link so we should all flood those contact links about making a online game.... hey it might be a year away but who knows we all could be back together in another online community like we have been for years.... think about it EA is not the only people who makes games...

G

LOL...good post Gracie...but you forgot Betaville.

Talk about panic and horror, when the little pixels ran around on their own, interacting willy-nilly with goodness knows who.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Since TSO was an internet based game, it should have had a great big button ON the EA home page.

EA didn't even sell it's own game. That's the sad part. EA is totally at fault for this. I doubt anyone giving good suggestions will ever have an ear with EA because they've probably already heard all these good ideas before.

They should stick to creating pc based games and leave online gamers alone if they don't want to put any effort into it.

Spore? I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole because it represents the way EA just dumped TSO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Since TSO was an internet based game, it should have had a great big button ON the EA home page.

EA didn't even sell it's own game. That's the sad part. EA is totally at fault for this. I doubt anyone giving good suggestions will ever have an ear with EA because they've probably already heard all these good ideas before.

They should stick to creating pc based games and leave online gamers alone if they don't want to put any effort into it.

Spore? I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole because it represents the way EA just dumped TSO.

[/ QUOTE ]
x

As far as most go... I think after the initial failure of the game, EA put very minimal to none into this game... just letting it coast.

They won't look at the failure as "what did we do wrong" but more like "its just not what sims players want"

Which is true, sims players didn't want what TSO was... but they def would have tried what TSO could have been.

The pulse of this game stopped once they said there would never be any CC. IMO.

except I won't say never yet.... I may or may not be interested in spore... but I don't want anyone calling me on it.

G

I initially didnt want to play for TSO when it first came out.. I was completely happy with my offline sims...
I didnt want to pay the monthly fees.
I think most people felt that way.. why pay for online monthly when I can play w/o the fees with the regular sims games.

G

Considering how the internet and socalizing has evolved since the idea of TSO was born - there was no MySpace or Facebook back then - I doubt anyone would be interesting is creating a new social game like TSO. Especially with a few already popular competing games in the genre.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I initially didnt want to play for TSO when it first came out.. I was completely happy with my offline sims...
I didnt want to pay the monthly fees.
I think most people felt that way.. why pay for online monthly when I can play w/o the fees with the regular sims games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I flat out refused to play TSO. I wanted an expansion pack and my dumdum bf buys me this online game.
And I'm like 'you know I hate people, now you want me to play with them"

So it sat in a box for 2 months.
Then i tried it.

G

I was eager for TSO to be released from the moment I read about it. I thought it was going to be a huge success. So much so, I bought EA stock. At least the stock did well.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I was eager for TSO to be released from the moment I read about it. I thought it was going to be a huge success. So much so, I bought EA stock. At least the stock did well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha Milton. I shoulda bought stock *kicks self*

I just liked playing the Sims. I hadn't even heard about TSO. So I got it just after it went live. I didn't activate until the following february though.

But the moral of the story is never say never... it srsly did sit on my shelf for quite some time.

When I did get in and realize all the potential it was so exciting.

It is sad that it never fully reached that potential.

But only like bittersweet sad.

I had fun... thats really all that matters.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol! I was, like, yeah, the same thing.
But I couldn't afford to buy any stock.

I thot, wow, this is frikkin' amazing - Maxis is gonna need a freight train to haul all the cash to the bank.

Instead they used it to shoot themselves in the foot......
....wait....

Oh, hel...ck - you know what I mean.

G

Very insightful post, Gracie. I find myself agreeing. Taking a game that appeals to people who like to control everything, and placing it in a setting full of such people is just not a good mix. Also adding to your list: Let's not forget all those people voicing strong opinions against free account players, desiring a means to keep them out of "their" game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Very insightful post, Gracie. I find myself agreeing. Taking a game that appeals to people who like to control everything, and placing it in a setting full of such people is just not a good mix. Also adding to your list: Let's not forget all those people voicing strong opinions against free account players, desiring a means to keep them out of "their" game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me get this straight - you and Gracie are saying TSO was a mistake from the get-go????

L

legscroft

This game had potential oozing out of it, imo...just was never handled properly.

I

imported_Spacey

Grrr, I wish they WOULD create a TSO2,3,4...whatever.

This time learn from mistakes.

- Advertise Advertise Advertise - send email to all registered EA players, include in packaging for all EA products, etc.
- Release it worldwide
- Regular updates!!!
- The customizing that offline allows...clothes, CC
- List could keep going...

TSO could have been BIG in my opinion.

The Sims might be a personal experience for some, but I get BORED playing by myself. I hardly play my offline sims or sims2 because it is so dull not seeing those little chat bubbles light up everywhere.