For the Ultima Historians

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Jerimiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
(CATS) Where The Wild Things Are
With the anticipation of SA, I got to thinking about all the original Ultima games I recently parted with as I completed another round of 'house cleaning'. If I remember correctly the abyss was the home of the codex of ultimate wisdom and was a volcano in the middle of the water someplace. Does anyone remember where it was in relation to other features that currently exist in UO?

The way I remeber things, there were secret doors in the dungeon that stood out plain as day when you knew to look for a little dot in the top down view of the walls....man I miss those simple days sometimes.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 26, 2005
Lebanon, Ohio
I have a nintendo (8 - bit) Ultima game. Um, Quest of the Avatar. That was when MOON gates actually would appear and disappear with the different moon cycles. Which I think would be both cool and annoying at the same time if they were to bring that back.

Thank you for the cool screen-shots. :)

M

Moreeg

That was when MOON gates actually would appear and disappear with the different moon cycles. Which I think would be both cool and annoying at the same time if they were to bring that back.
That brings me back... if I remember right, the moon gates in UO initially took you to a different city depending on the moon phase. I dont remember if that made it out of beta, but for some reason I think it did. Memories...

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Cats/Europa
It did make it out of beta. It was still that way when I started in July 98.

Standing around moongates in order to get places was a great way to get to know people. And a great way to learn new words...

Jerimiah

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
(CATS) Where The Wild Things Are
Anyone remember which phases of the moons coresponded to which cities? Man, this has been a stroll down memory lane hasn't it?

I can't remember which of the original Ultima's gave us this feature but I allways thought it was a fantastic way to make the world feel a bit more real, especially for a 2-D view. I am refering to the way that trees and mountains would block your field of view. I remember scrambling through the dense forest around Yew trying o find that hidden little city. Or even better comming around a mountain range to see a Daemon waiting for us! Ah, good times.....

ATLPvPer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 10, 2007
Where is all the history on Catskills? Atlantic has a thread for Atlantic history, I thought the Catskills forum may as well.