• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

for the love of god help me!

R

ReaperNI

oh my this is crazy how hard it is to gain in taming. im at 89 right now i bought advance char token to get to 85 and i have been hating gaining and help ive been taming white wolves and my knowlege ball says that it optimal any hints? ty TYR

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At that level I think I was taming bulls. They got me to 100 but it took a very long time compared to other skills (barding skills excluded).

Taming along with provo and disco are probably the most time consuming skills to train but the power of these skills make it so worth it when you finally get there.

I only play an hour or two per evening 4-5 nights a week and it took me a year to get taming up to 120. A third of that time was spent between 100 and 120. The farther you get, the longer it takes.

On Edit: If you have soul stones, stone off skills until your total skill count is under 350. You get the guaranteed gain every 12 hours. Actually I think it's less than 12 hours but I can't remember it exactly.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two suggestions on what to tame:

Put on jewelry to get taming to about 91 or 92 (won't take much in your case) and tame bulls. Don't forget that there's a spawn north of Trinsic.

Put on jewelry to get taming to somewhere between 104 and 109 and tame unicorns or ki-rin.

Also, and I think this is just about as important as getting your modified taming skill to an optimal level, come up with another reason to be taming the particular critter you picked and other skills you can work on at the same time. For example, take the leather and in the case of unicorns or ki-rin, take the gold too. Use the other skills you want to have on that character while you're doing the taming. For example, if you're working up magery, use an appropriate spell (and a mage weapon if needed) to kill the bulls. Working on discord? Discord the creature after you release it. Want to raise honor? Tame the unicorns or ki-rins and honor them after you release and before you kill them.

Want more of a challenge or need something to break the monotony? Put on jewelry and again, go for that magic 104-109 or 110 range and tame dragons. Honor after releasing and be sure you collect all that leather, gold, and gems. You might also get lucky and get an occasional 10th anniversary reward.

If you can find additional reasons to be out and taming, it's a whole lot easier to stick with the taming for maybe an hour or two or to at least do it long enough each day to get a gain or two. Also, always give yourself at least twenty minutes of taming after your first taming gain before you expect to see another taming gain. Sometimes they come sooner than that and once in a while you'll even get two in a row.

Hrothgard

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where are good spawns for Uni's and K-rin ? I find the odd one wandering in Malas but have no idea where a good constant spawn might be. I have just gotten to 100.6 real skill off of bulls and still have at them each night for a few gains but the ki-rin and uni's sound like a good way to break it up :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrothgard, there are two locations in upper Malas, far far away from Luna, that spawn both unicorns and ki-rins (one of each). You can also find two tameable unicorns in the area north of the Spirituality gate in Ilshenar. If you find ki-rin in that area, they are from the nearby champ spawn area and cannot be tamed. (Occasionally you'll also find non-tameable unicorns from the same champ spawn.)

Check out the Hunter's Guide entries for both unicorns and ki-rins: http://uo.stratics.com/hunters/index.shtml. You should find for each entry at least one link that takes you to a small local map of an area where you can find a particular monster. If you want to zoom out to see more of the facet where that area is located, just click on the link next to the "Sextant Coordinates" heading near the top and change the Zoom setting. If that still isn't sufficient for you to orient yourself, click the "Show Full Map" link to see a map of the entire facet.

R

ReaperNI

so basically is it something where i should keep constantly taming or is something like i tame till i get a gain then go play around and come back in a certain time? i got 310 more ggs to go before 120 whaa hooo compared to all the other skill taming seems to be the most unfairly gained i wish the boost it up a lil. TYR

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where are good spawns for Uni's and K-rin ? I find the odd one wandering in Malas but have no idea where a good constant spawn might be. I have just gotten to 100.6 real skill off of bulls and still have at them each night for a few gains but the ki-rin and uni's sound like a good way to break it up :)
Tina gave you great advice, Hrothgard. Both spawn spots are on the floating island where Grimswind Ruins is located, in the two forested areas on the northern part of the island. One unicorn and one ki-rin per spot. The only aggressive spawn you'll have to content with in those areas are giant rats, vampire bats, gore fiends, and flesh golems.

Hrothgard

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is the spot I was referring to I believe. You go across the rope bridge to get there. I think I will go try a few tonight. Assuming that Uni's are still female only and killing the ki-rin's will give me a negative karma hit, but karma should not be too hard to regain.

Thanks again for the advice. Will be good to get away from the bulls for a night here and there :)

P.S. Reaper sorry I seemed to hijack the thread. I usually tame for a couple hours straight and as Tina said I sometimes go for stretches with no gains and then can hit like 3 in 5 minutes or two back to back. It seems it just takes patience.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Assuming that Uni's are still female only and killing the ki-rin's will give me a negative karma hit, but karma should not be too hard to regain.
After taming and releasing either ki-rin or unicorns, you will not get a karma hit for killing them. You can skin them for their hides and turn in for library rewards too.

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh my this is crazy how hard it is to gain in taming. im at 89 right now i bought advance char token to get to 85 and i have been hating gaining and help ive been taming white wolves and my knowlege ball says that it optimal any hints? ty TYR
That's just the way it is and should be :eek:)

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After taming and releasing either ki-rin or unicorns, you will not get a karma hit for killing them. You can skin them for their hides and turn in for library rewards too.
EEKS!! Those pour pets. Instead you could gate from that spot to the brit zoo and donate them. Respawn is something between instant and 2 minutes. Especially when starting with an advanced char, you can train magery well without spending too much extra time for it. (Try to get a 110 or higher scroll and use jewelry to boost up taming high enough.)

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead you could gate from that spot to the brit zoo and donate them.
That's exactly what I do, but wanted to pass on the no karma hit info. More often than not, there's a new ki-rin or unicorn to tame by the time I've made the donation and stepped back through the gate to the zoo. Only occasionally have I had to wait longer.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to turn in the unicorns at the zoo. In fact, for quite a while I was doing quite well egging other people on to do the same thing! We had a bit of a competition going on across shards and somehow even managed to get the devs to slow down the decay rate on the zoo tiers so those silver steeds would stick around a bit longer.

However, when I started tamers on a couple of new shards and wanted to get the Birds of Britannia talismans for them, I gave up donating pets to the zoo in lieu of taking the leather to donate to the library. Also, I sometimes tame unicorns in Ilshenar and it's way too time consuming to do zoo donations from there. I also looked at the list of zoo rewards and realized I didn't really NEED a lot of them and the ones that I'd use every day (e.g., a suit of armor) would take way way too long to acquire. It was easier and more beneficial for my character to switch to donating leather at the library for a talisman and then just keep stockpiling the leather. Lord knows what I'll ever do with all that horned leather on some of my tamers. Probably donate it at the library for something else, I guess. I'm still hoping some day they'll aggregate your scale and leather donations (and everything else you donate) instead of accumulating them separately....

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so basically is it something where i should keep constantly taming or is something like i tame till i get a gain then go play around and come back in a certain time? i got 310 more ggs to go before 120 whaa hooo compared to all the other skill taming seems to be the most unfairly gained i wish the boost it up a lil. TYR
When I'm in the mood I might tame for a longer period. If I'm not I'll quickly hop to a taming spot, get however many gains I target for that day and then move on. Or I'll put on jewels and work the cu sidhe spawn and get my gains while I seek the illusive blaze cu sidhe. Some days I log in, get a gain before I go for a hunt, then try for another before I finish up. But there's no point working the skill till you're sick of it, so allow some fun time ;)

Wenchy

A

Azumazi

I am truly surprised no one mentioned the old school favorite for gains. The Ridgeback. Hell most of us that played from 99-2003 used them exclusively for gains along side bulls. Considering you can get 10-12 ridgebacks at once if you go compassion gate, run to the gyps camp, through the cave and hang right. Yes once in a while a paragon dire wolf will be around and sometimes a savage rider is near, but overall you can get to 110 easy off them. Usually when I go since the gyps camp has a stable I bring a pack horse and invis it near the lake on the cliff side and kill off the ridgebacks I've killed for leather. When the pack is full I take it back to the camp and deposit it in the bank there.

U

uoBuoY

Another thing I suggest while training taming is...

Look for pets you want to keep in your stable. Jewel up if needed. This really breaks up the monotony and refocuses your attention. Moreover since you will eventually spend a lot of time searching for keeper pets, why combine training and searching?

G

glxwill

I am truly surprised no one mentioned the old school favorite for gains. The Ridgeback. Hell most of us that played from 99-2003 used them exclusively for gains along side bulls. Considering you can get 10-12 ridgebacks at once if you go compassion gate, run to the gyps camp, through the cave and hang right. Yes once in a while a paragon dire wolf will be around and sometimes a savage rider is near, but overall you can get to 110 easy off them. Usually when I go since the gyps camp has a stable I bring a pack horse and invis it near the lake on the cliff side and kill off the ridgebacks I've killed for leather. When the pack is full I take it back to the camp and deposit it in the bank there.
This is exactly what I did from 85 taming to 110. It took me 2 weeks to get my tamer from 50 to 110 taming(LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of taming).

You will without a doubt find dire wolves there, just tame them once and release them. After being tamed and released they will not attack you anymore until the next server restart. Spread them apart all over the right side of the large, hilly valley where the ridgebacks spawn because the left side is where the savages spawn and they'll kill the dire's and respawn the wild untamed one's again. Once this is all done, you can tame the ridgebacks and release them, the one-time tamed dire wolves will kill the tamed ridgebacks automatically for you and spawn new ridgebacks so you can keep taming continuously.

If you see a paragon ridgeback, just kill it, if you see paragon dire wolves or savages, just lure them to the back of the building that spawns the juka's.

Do all of this with taming jewelry and a sterdy ride with you, you'll want to be quick on your feet for those paragons.

Edit: I did this in Feb 2010, so I can vouch for the results to still be valid. A friend once told me that the level of difficulty didn't matter very much once you get to GM taming, it's the quantity of the tames that will produce results.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Haven't read the entire thread, so if I am repeating what has been posted, forgive me. My best advice to you for training taming is to find something that you enjoy doing that will train taming at the same time. If you can do that your training will be much less painful.

I love looking for special pets so find a pet that you want a really nice one of, pop on the jewels necessary to give you the skill level you need, and go farm them like a maniac. You'll end up with some really nice pets, and you'll be training your skills at the same time.

Of course if all you are is a pvp'r who wants to use a pet but actually hates taming, then I can't help you. No matter what you do it's going to be a grind, but buying taming sots might be an option for you, especially when you get close to your goal.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the ridgeback spawn, lots of ridgies and convenient dire wolves/savages to kill fresh tames on. But I wouldn't want to start on them earlier than necessary. If you want to quickly hop in and tame critters it helps if you can recall straight to the spawn. You'll also be utterly sick of ridgebacks if you tame them all the way from 85-120 :D So they're an option, but they're not top of my list for those reasons.

Wenchy

R

ReaperNI

do people actully pay big money for those different color dogs? TYR

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
do people actully pay big money for those different color dogs? TYR
Last I knew it was only the blaze ones that had real value, but it has been a long time since I tried seriously to sell pets on the open market, so someone else would have a better idea what the market is like currently.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Blaze are the best earners, but depending on demand on your shard you can still make a decent living selling the other rare colours. Best prices are naturally for the highest stats though.

Not forgetting the gold you can loot from the pups you kill too ;)

Wenchy