• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Folded Steel vs Mace and Shield

• Thread starter imported_shonsu
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_shonsu

Have been using Mace and Shield on my Sampire. So thought about switching to Folded Steel glasses for the DCI. My question is how much you find the HLD matters in PVM (for things that are pretty hittable like DF or Dreadhorn). The STAT differences wouldn't really matter for me because I can max them out using potions.

I

imported_shonsu

LOL! Funny, but still wondering if someone can relate their experiences in PVM with these 2 glasses

I

imported_GFY

Try Dread without the HLD. I've heard he's not as easy to hit without them.

I

imported_controlfive

the 5 dex and HLD are a pretty big deal, much bigger than 15 dci imo. i'd say try to get dci maxed from fey leggings, quiver, jewelry, and stick with M&S glasses.

E

eolsunder1

Well I have both, so here goes.

I ran with folded steel glasses for a while. After using my samurai helm, i upgraded to the folded steel because they are basically samurai helms with 8 strength bonus, so 1 mod better.

They worked fine, but then I upgraded my templated to the basic samurai vamp form template everyone uses.

Mace and shield glasses are excellent. With a crimson/jackals your dexxer will hit their 150 cap. +10 strength doesn't hurt either, plus hit lower defense works on everything. Great glasses.

Now, I can see only a few reasons to switch to folded steel.

1) You have dexterity of +5 or more in another item to reach your 150 cap. Combined with a weapon that has hit lower defense already, you might not benefit as much.

2) You do group hunts alot. Chances are if you have a guild that does peerless and or doom hunts alot you might not benefit from your hit lower defence, because chances are someone else will have the monsters in "lowered defense". Thus that property might not do anything.

In my opinion, I havent' looked back after getting my Mace and Shield glasses. They are excellent. Sure the folded steel is nice also, but unless you meet a very slim type of character/armor layout, the mace and shield will benefit you more.

I

imported_Farsight

<blockquote><hr>

2) You do group hunts alot. Chances are if you have a guild that does peerless and or doom hunts alot you might not benefit from your hit lower defence, because chances are someone else will have the monsters in "lowered defense". Thus that property might not do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in the case of group hunts, having the M&amp;S is a good idea. What I do for group hunts is switch to a slower weapon with a boat load of mana leech and hit lower attack (I paid 500 gold for the scimitar). I'd like a faster one, but couldn't afford it after buying my M&amp;S. So my job is to keep the defense and attack lowered while everyone else (and their pets) does the real damage. It's an extremely effective tactic when running with a tamer or a well coordinated Doom group.

My vote goes with M&amp;S.