• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fishmonger quests

G

Gil

I must be doing something wrong... I just trained up fishing from a NPC 3 days ago, picked up 2 quests (10 uncommon shiners, and 10 redbelly bream), and have been fishing about 10 hours total from the shores and along the shore from my boat.

I have only caught 3 bream and 1 shiner. Seems a bit slow. Is this normal?

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds pretty normal. Just wait till you have to fill an order for 20 of a certain crab or lobster type. I was going to figure the mean time for fishing up 20 of a specific fish when starting from 0, but what's the point? If you make it to 120 fishing, the accomplishment will speak for itself.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must be doing something wrong... I just trained up fishing from a NPC 3 days ago, picked up 2 quests (10 uncommon shiners, and 10 redbelly bream), and have been fishing about 10 hours total from the shores and along the shore from my boat.

I have only caught 3 bream and 1 shiner. Seems a bit slow. Is this normal?

What is your skill at ?

Fishing needs patience, still, in 10 hours of fishing you should have been able to catch, among others, the 10 uncommon shiners and 10 redbelly bream required to fill your order.

Are you gaining fishing skill as you fish ? As you gain skill, did you notice an increase in catching the special fish ?

G

Gil

Yes I am gaining skill, currently at about 46. I am catching special fish, but not the ones I need. Walleye, salmon, trout, etc. LOTS of regular fish, and occasional footwear (gotta love those).

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I am gaining skill, currently at about 46. I am catching special fish, but not the ones I need. Walleye, salmon, trout, etc. LOTS of regular fish, and occasional footwear (gotta love those).

Then the reason might be your 46 skill. Good to get LOTs of regular fish but not enough to get a good quantity of the fish you need for the quests.

I am not sure if it is possible to get fishing skill on jewellery, if so, did you try increasing your skill using fishing skill jewellery ?

With up to 15 on ring and 15 fishing on bracelet, you could possibly jump up to 76 skill which could help getting more of the fish you need. I never tried it though, therefore, I am not sure whether fishing skill points can be found or imbued on jewellery pieces.

As an alternative, if you can use crabs/lobsters traps, use those and the more the better. They will help raise your fishing skill faster than with fishing (more skill checks....).

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With up to 15 on ring and 15 fishing on bracelet, you could possibly jump up to 76 skill which could help getting more of the fish you need. I never tried it though, therefore, I am not sure whether fishing skill points can be found or imbued on jewellery pieces.
There are no skill boosts on jewelry.

With higher skill you catch more and more of the uncommon fishes. At least at GM you dont catch any of the plain fishes and therefore your rate for the uncommon ones will be higher.

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then there's the "watching water boil" syndrome. It always seem to be that you catch lots of what you don't need and very little of what you do need.

Especially crab fishing. If you need say 20 apple crabs you will catch every kind of crab under the sun except apple crabs. I'm slightly exaggerating but only slightly :)