• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fishing The Prism Of Light

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yet you really, really DON'T want to be doing this.

Why? Because many things in the wide world of Ultima will kill you. Many things will lower your durability. But only one type of fish demands that you stand places that constantly break your armour and kills you and makes you pay 10k for that privilege.

Fisher ladies and fisher gentlemen, that place is the Prism of Light. My thanks to Jonathen here at Stratics for coming and farming the keys and distracting the spawn until I'd got the rough measure of it; you can see him in the screenshot below as we prepare the first try;

Let us begin with the pain; That red circle is the ONLY place you can stand and fish. It's possible to fish elsewhere in this tiny lake, but the Sea Serpents and Hydra are almost instant respawn, and simply won't leave you alone. The trick is to lure them as far left as you can; someone told me it's possible to leave a pet in the level to the north and hold aggro, but this proves problematic if someone is fighting the daemons there for keys and brings one across.

Where I've marked an X is somewhere you possibly can fish as a second spot; beware the Om Nom Nom though! A sea serpent at that spot will aggro to you; I tried a bit of what I termed "Ninja Fishing", that is running across to the X, casting and then running back to the O spot to let the fish complete, but the chances of pulling a creature is just too high.

And you can't stay at the X marked spot either; the white crystals do permanent cold damage; even with 70 Cold resist I was losing 3hp in just under a second, and my armour was getting beaten to buggery, and I'd still take a sea serpent to the face on top of this. The 0 spot, once the spawn is jammed in the corner, is really the only hope... You can't even teleport across the river to fish the other side safely!

Jonathen took the spawn across with a peace bard for me at first, but how to do it solo? The arrow points to the hole which leads to the elemental room; what you'll need to do, possibly 2-3 times, is tag the spawn by the lake, run to the SW corner and then down to the next, invisibility there so they don't do the "I'll run straight to you at high speed" that can happen when you just recall out, then hope the elementals on that floor don't see you. Pause a few seconds, then use the entrance deed to leave. Run through and drag them to the SE even further and repeat. When you've got enough space so they aren't too likely to get to the Om Nom Nom stage, return and fish the one, or possibly two spots if you feel brave.

And then... do it again and again for weeks, as you'll have to hide between the casts, and they take quite some time for the fish to re-spawn. The deed for entrance only lasts 12 hours, so you'll be paying 10k every day to try. The Crystal fish loves to say hello fortunately, I got about 5 of them in roughly 30 casts whilst there... but if you know a fishermatey with the Lantern Fish, which is at Legendary odds, be VERY impressed.

For that person... is a FISHING GOD. Because even the Void lobster doesn't try and get you outright killed where he is!
http://youtu.be/e04HL5X66rM
(Basic Mob Luring Illustrated Here.)

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With further practice, the safest way to lure the spawn off solo is as follows; Set the Ticket as a macro so you can hit it and instantly recall in case you get into trouble. Go to the lake and pick up aggro to as much as you can... but don't worry about trying to direct it too much, there's simply far too many mobs to try and handle all at once as a fisher! Run to the first teleport, and enter the next room; the mobs by the lake will follow you still, so run to the second teleport... they'll still follow you in the next room, but run to the right, towards the healer. The advantage of this is if you die, well... healer nearby and you can get to your corpse. Invisible (hide/stealth/magery what ever works for you) on the rocks there; that should, with any luck, have now jammed all the mobs back at the lack in the far southern part trying to follow you to there. Then hit the Ticket macro to return outside, and run back through again.

If things are a little hairy, you can normally fight the Serpents, as they spawn further south, but the Hydra will respawn right on top of you and will give you no peace, so move those away again if they come back rather than fight... Also keep a close eye on the Daemons to the left; anyone farming those for keys is likely to stir up the spawn by the lake accidentally, and you really have just the ONE square you can realistically fish from solo; The Daemons can also shoot you from the square next to the white plant marked at O from below the rock wall, so don't fish there for any length of time! I still don't have the Legendary Lantern Fish after about 10 hours fishing it, you're in for a truly long haul indeed and the less complications the better!

If anyone is having problems on the Crystal Bed at the start, and I know I was as it wasn't very well explained online and not having visited very often, the point is to hit the square with the sparkle (the trigger is very slightly to the north from it in the EC); when you first arrive, you have to hit it I think 4 times, it will move after the first 3, and then on the 4th you go to the next room. When you return again on that play session, it teleports you as soon as you touch it for the first time again. It really doesn't matter where you hit it from, you don't have to walk on the bed at all, just touch the sparkle and miss the squares that throw you back to the start...

Oh, and really don't take pack horses for this... it's the most cramped and dangerous fishing adventure you'll go on... for fish at least! Coming up next, in a few weeks of idle fishing perhaps when I've caught the Lantern and the last of the Legendary I need, I'm off after the Crustaceans!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a copy of FRAPs, but he he, there's no action if you set it up correctly... the spawn has to be lured out of the way or it's DEATH for my poor fisher, as he's just got basic melee skills! I met someone downstairs today and we teamed up for a little while so they could get the keys, but the Hydra with it's multiple head attack thingy kept killing me. I can see about making a video of luring the spawn off tomorrow when I go back for another try; I play FTL or read when I'm down there fishing so I can react as soon as a creature comes back, but so far it's another 8 hours there today and no Lantern Fish again!

If you want to see the last video I made that was fishing related, it's here!

Last edited:

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting.... Norton had no problem, and they seem to have an active forum with helpful mods... Google for the domain and software both show no reports of negativity that I saw... But, whatever...

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I dunno man *shrugs*. I gave up Norton's a long time ago, they don't really stay on top of the game as much as Trend. But then again, Trend could be flagging sites on a less info than Norton's.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And, since I'm sorta in the field, you might say... Trend has a history of false positives... Just sayin (and please don't take that as any sort of insult or challange... I respect your opinion and believe you posted that in good faith)...:cool:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Not at all. I was hoping you were not taking it that way either. :)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually you're both VERY BAD INDEED. I've not seen the word "fish" in a good few posts now :p Startle, I should have a video showing how to lure the mobs into a corner up in an hour or so, I'm just converting it to XViD and then putting it on YouTube. It's not very interesting, but shows how it works at least!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here we go, as promised;

It takes a few runs to set up correctly, pausing where you can, to give them time to move out of trigger range of where you want to be on the lake; Nemo has 79.4 magery at the moment so he fizzles alot, but with practice you get the hang of positioning so mobs can't get to you too quickly and really ruin your day. They respawn pretty much instantly so you don't want even one near you as it'll keep coming back.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say is - WOW ! I am seriously impressed. Your persistance is INSPIRING dewd... Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for us. I'm gonna watch it 2 or 3 more times, and take notes. I know I have some questions about what I see there.. (I've never been to that place)...
Thank you again!
Oh, btw - what app did you use to record this?

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FRAPS, the free version has a 60 second time limit though. And to convert to a higher compression codec than the captured raw data, I use VirtualDub, which is completely free. You know, I've forgotten how I merged music into the Anniversary video I made... that might have been VirtualDub too. I should have took notes on what I did!

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
.... If you want to see the last video I made that was fishing related, it's here!

The beginning "Credits" in your excellent movie celebrating the 15th anniv just cracked me up... The movie, however, was very entertaining and informing... Thanks for making/sharing it with us!

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm curious about this... Why did you decide to convert it to XViD ?
Basically when you make a video from screen capture, or you have a digital camera, in order to record as much information as possible it applies no processing effects during record, just raw data... thus the file size can be huge; the data for the fishing was 12gb once I stopped Fraps, and for the anniversary it was around 37gb in total I think. A Codec like XViD is a way of compressing down that pure data to a much more reasonable size, in the case of the Prism video down from 12gb to 408Mb. YouTube will apply a further compression (and loss of quality) but now I can delete the original raw data and free up hard drive space, and get the original file to YouTube in much less time.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent... I did a bit of reading regarding XViD, and it sound's great. What I wasn't sure of, is how it is used... I mean, what wrapper is in place when you send it to YouTube? And what video "viewers" are capable of XViD playback... Be gentile, I'm pretty new to video editing...

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YouTube re-encodes what ever you submit to it's own basic standard, so don't worry about that. It's more what quality you want for your own locally hosted videos. You can keep pushing to better and better resolutions but you pay for it in file size. I go with XViD as it's a widely accepted standard and gives a reasonable size/quality trade off, whilst allowing a huge range of screen ratio (some codecs will only code to 4:3 etc) .... When coding audio MPEG-3 should work with everything. Resist the urge to tech-nerd to perfect standards, that way impossible madness lies!

In the meantime... LANTERN FISH!

I've marked two little fish icons around my fisherman... whilst bored and desperate, I started fiddling with the way the EC targets with TargetByResource and discovered it would always go for the icon to the north of Nemo. However, taking a step south will target it to the second icon to the east, and give a second run of fish, so you can do two spawn spots from there, doubling my output today. However, standing one square south of the plant allows the Daemons to the west to blast you over the hills again, so you can either step once, cast, step back onto the plant... or lure them off west out of range too, and hope no one comes for keys. Or, if you want to do it manually, cast at both squares from on top of the plant...

But still LANTERN FEEEESSSSHHHHHHH! Now for a well deserved break before tackling the remaining Legendary Crabs and Lobsters!

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome, dewd! Lantern Fish! Well, if anyone ever deserved one - it's you... Man, you've really had to work hard for that one! Congratulations...