• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fishing template

R

Roddy Doyle

Hey, I am returning to UO from about 6-7 years off. From reading around it looks like fishing is the new rage. I was wondering what are some good templates to make for a fisher character or if I could change around one of my existing characters to fit it. some general strategy would be appreciated. A lot has changed since I played last.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It depends if you are planning to handle the fishing end game, like the Leviathan and Corgul with that character or not.

Most fishing related monsters like the Serpents can be dealt with some Spell Casting or Archery. Since Magery is usually needed to move around and for a number of things having some Magery and Meditation can help.

Fighting the fishing end game might be different though as they can be quite tough.

Welcome back and hope you enjoy Ultima Online again !!

R

Roddy Doyle

I have a mage/bard and with some adjusting i might be able to make into a fisher that could challenge the end game of fishing. Im just not quite sure of what other skills I will need. Right now I am just trying to get a grasp on all the changes and new areas.

S

soulstoner

Archer/Dexxer with some decent healing/anat/tactics is panning out well. Works for the pirate ships as well with a modest bow with some range. Using recalls to travel saves a good deal of space on the template. There's room to swap out lumberjacking or other resources gathering ability with some good d and offense. Having high dex and strength leaves for fast healing & lots of strength to lug around traps and fish and resources when need. Archery swaps out handily on the soulstoning too if you want archery on some other uber char for larger challenges. 120 skill scrolls are easier to come by for the classic skills (not fishing lolz). Gotta keep fishing on one char if you care about the illusive reputation thing.

Welcome back :D

G

Gowron

I use archery/chiv/tactics on my fisher.
I haven't had much success in taking down merchants or pirates solo, but I probably could do so in a party which is how I would take down Leviathans or what not.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I use my gargoyle and have focus,myst,magery,eval,med,fishing and resisting spells

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 110 fishing, 70 (+20) magery, 40 (+20) eval int, and 5xGM in other non combat skills like cooking.
I'm able to take down up to two sea serpents at once.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a chivalry fencer poisoner fisher and really a fencer without chivalry kills sea serpents quickly with a snake slayer dagger, 2 hits no enemy of one or consecrate weapon needed and no healing needed. I'm going to look into imbuing a dagger to make it a one hit kill if possible (haven't really tried since they are so easy to kill.) I haven't tried nets by myself but think I would die 2 out of 3 times. So I let my tamer do them. I put the poisoning on the fisher because I didn't have room on other characters but otherwise wouldn't have that but chivalry is good for killing other things so makes my fisher more than just a fisher.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey, I am returning to UO from about 6-7 years off. From reading around it looks like fishing is the new rage. I was wondering what are some good templates to make for a fisher character or if I could change around one of my existing characters to fit it. some general strategy would be appreciated. A lot has changed since I played last.
First of all, you got to make sure you buy the $15 Adventures on the High Seas booster pack- otherwise a lot of this fishing advice is moot.

The booster comes with additional storage space for your house (which also means additional vendor slots, if you're into merchant stuff, or do BODs and store BOD books on the vendors), that would actually cost more than the booster, if bought separately.

For a basic Fisher, about any template that can kill a deep sea serpent or kraken will do. The new Tokuno style boat (ironically, only buyable in Trammel & Fel) is supposed to give a bonus to the RNG for fish type.

IF you're going to toss white nets (from the ancient SOS), then you'll need better (and friends, in case a Scalis Enforcer spawns from the white net).

If you intend to go out pirate hunting, it doesn't require fishing, but does require the booster. For it you'll need someone to make the stuff for your ship (practically every crafter skill except inscription and bowcraft comes into play), and the new ships from the expansion are account-tied, so that all your characters on the account can access it as owner. But pirate hunting is another subject.

R

Roddy Doyle

Thanks for the info. Im just trying to determine if I should make a new character or use an existing character and convert him over to the fishing skill. I really dont have much to choose from my characters so was just trying to get a good idea what I would be looking at if I was to start a new character or use an old one. Figured I would have to by the upgrade. Want to make sure I am committed to coming back for a few months before spending anymore money.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The booster comes with additional storage space for your house (which also means additional vendor slots, if you're into merchant stuff, or do BODs and store BOD books on the vendors), that would actually cost more than the booster, if bought separately.

Is that 20% over and above the other expasions previously offered?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want to reinforce your offensive power while fishing the open sea, use a Snake Slayer weapon/spellbook against the sea serpents you fish up. They are vulnerable against this type of slayer. Krakens and Leviathans have no slayer vulnerability.

Serpents are also least resistant to energy damage. I can take most sea serpents down with a lightning bolt and the slayer book. Only about 10% of the Deep Sea Serpents survive an E-Bolt.

This will allow you to open up your template for greater possibilities. You can also use the spell Protection, to not be interrrupted during casting against the serpents (it is very convenient). Use the Hunter's Guide for more monster information: UO Stratics - Hunter's Guide - Welcome!

Stayin Alive,

BG