• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fishing Skill Gain Help

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I read the FAQ on skill gain for fishing and started a new fisherman. I'm on Pacific and at about 62, gains slowed almost to a stop. After hours of fishing in shallow water all over the world, I realized most of my gains are coming from the GGS system. I have even tried fishing at the edge of the shallow water where the deep water starts, as well as server lines. My total skill points are 173.4 and I'm currently at 63.6 fishing. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Katrena

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to ter mur mage and do the quest for a ball of knowledge.

Turn that on and sail out of the sea....u could also go to skara docks and go futher and futher out on the docks.

One trick is to sail east of moonglow till u at the server line - that is considered as shallow water. So, just follow the server line and get longer and longer away from it according to the ball of knowledge.

When you fish, the ball of knowledge should say challanging or optimal. When you at 75ish or so u can fish at deep water, if i dont remember wrong. From there you sail slow forward and fish forever. And one bright day you will master the skill.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Tancred RedStar and Mandrake of DF,

Thanks for the information and advice. I read the link for the Crystal Ball of Knowledge, but it appears that it requires killing dragons and void creatures. My little lady only has cooking and fishing, so unless I could beat them to death with a frying pan, there is no way for me to do the quest. I'm sure if I could find one on a vendor, it would cost a fortune and fish aren't selling for too much right now.

I'll try the skara docks to see if that helps. I have fished for 3 hours today and only got 2 tenths, which is only my GGS so far. I found a server line west of Moonglow, but didn't get any gains. I'll look for the one east of Moonglow and give that a try.

Thanks, Katrena

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

One other question about fishing that I'm not clear on. When I find the server line east of Moonglow, do I sail north and south along the server line to fish? Also, should I sail slow forward while I fish, or fish a spot until it says there are no more fish and then move a tile?

Thanks, Katrena

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You sail slow forward for to find the server line. Dont matter if you sail north or south - you will follow the main serverline anyhow and it goes all away round the world....so you should never hit any land...

The indigrents required for the crystal ball you would proberly get for free if you ask in chat. (what server you play on, maybe i can help u).

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Mandrake of DF,

Thanks for the offer. I am currently working on two fishermen. The one with my skill gain problem is on Pacific. I have just started another fisherman on Chesapeake, but I am only at 40 on that one.

Thanks, Katrena

T

Tancred RedStar

You shouldnt be in a boat til 80 or so. Try standing on a dock 3-5 tiles away from land. At that level, you should be gaining every 10-15 minutes at most. Do you have a sword in your by chance?

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

This is an update on my fishing skill gain problem. I fished from various distances on different docks and shore line all over the world with only GGS gains for the last two days. This morning after posting here, I sailed out to the server line east of Moonglow. I noticed that with my ship sailing south along the server line, I was catching deep water fish on my port side and shallow water fish on my starboard side. I also got gains like crazy on the port side and in one hour I went from 63.6 to 67. That is an average of 1 gain every two minutes. There was one stretch that I was using the Forward 1 command and getting a gain on every tile. Thanks to everyone for all of your advice and help.

Thanks, Katrena

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You shouldnt be in a boat til 80 or so. Try standing on a dock 3-5 tiles away from land. At that level, you should be gaining every 10-15 minutes at most. Do you have a sword in your by chance?
Sorry, but you are wrong. Sailing along server line is best for gains, and it counts you as on swallow water. The futher you are from server line counts as the futher you are from land.

Big difference is you are moving all time, and wont go out of fish in the water...

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Tancred RedStar and Mandrake of DF,

Thanks for the information and advice. I read the link for the Crystal Ball of Knowledge, but it appears that it requires killing dragons and void creatures.
If you have no other characters to hunt the creatures you might ask for the resources on global chat. Those are very easy to come by. I have no character on pacific, else i would gladly hunt the few creatures for you. All you need are the vials of blood from the dragons and some item from the void creatures.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need 100 vials of dragon blood and 100 deamon bones (aqired from doom).

Thoose should be very easy to get.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the daemon bone can also come in Ter Mur off the void creatures - but for the most part doom is easier, provided you stay near the entrance or the exit.

A

anna anomalous

i just raised 3 fishers. one before the expansion, and two right after. if you do not use the crystal ball of knowledge you are just wasting your time. do not fish in the deep sea until you are over 80, (i don't go out until 85). from 50-60 i stayed close to the shore. from 60-70, standing on a dock 2-3 tiles away from shore. 70-80, max distance on the dock and 80-85 on a boat but not in deep sea. deep sea is considered 14 tiles away from any shore line, you must have 85 fishing to gain 'optimally' in deep sea fishing. so anything under 85 fishing, will need to be gained withing 14 tiles of the shoreline.

very possible to obtain the resources for the quest with just some basic magery skills. when i was new to the server, i just casted blade spirits on patchwork/vampire bats for the daemon bone, and killed drakes/wyvern for the dragon's blood. buy some magery, raise it up, and save yourself hours of frustration. fishing is possible to GM in a few hours if done correctly.

if server line really acts as a 'shore' then that would be applicable, too. i just did this before the change to spots running out of fish. you'll just have to find the correct spots with the ball of knowledge, still.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

"patchwork/vampire bats for the daemon bone, and killed drakes/wyvern for the dragon's blood"

Are the patchwork/vampire bats in Doom or can they be found in other locations? Where is the best place to find drakes/wyvern with the least amount of bigger dragons spawining?

Thanks, Katrena

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I was able to get a Crystal Ball of Knowledge. It is a real assest for training and a good verification for any skill you use. Thanks for all of the help!

Katrena

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One nice trick i've learnt whil'st training is after you hit 80 in Fishing you will gain skill points from failing.
I found a spot where 'The fish dont seem to be biting here' and stayed at that spot.
I dont fish up anything so i dont have to worry about overweight issues and have gained 8.3 in the same spot. Much faster in my opinion than moving and fishing.
I just put a pile of coins on my macro button and read a book (with one eye on the screen ofcourse) ;)

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I have finally reached 95 and gains have slowed considerably. I am still using the pole that I got when I created my fisher. Do different type wood poles make a difference in skill gain or should I keep using the plain pole? Is there an average of how many points I should get per hour at this level? As long as I am fishing in deep water and my crystal ball says "optimal", does it make a difference where I actually fish?

Thanks, Katrena

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I am now totally confused with this Crystal Ball of Knowledge. I started at 95 this morning, fishing in deep water, and it said the fishing was "optimal". As soon as I got my first gain to 95.1, the Crystal Ball said my fishing was "Easy". I'm in deep water, in the same spot as when it said "Optimal" at 95, it just says "Easy" now at 95.1. I am catching deep water fish. Is "Easy" correct?

Thanks, Katrena

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure about the pole but in most other skills you change to a GM crafted equipment at around 90.

As for the 'easy' yeah i get that in deep water and even in the middle of the ocean while fishing up MiB's.

The only place i've now found so far that says 'optimal' is the water in the Abyss (possibly in other dungeons at lower levels)

In the Abyss its the area next to the fairy dragons and lava serpents. (make sure you can fight as its an agro place)

K

Kordullin

From what the ball of knowledge tells me, gains from docks (brit, skara, bucs... tried all) stopped at 55 and are 'too easy'. Just hopped in a boat and went a few tiles away from the shoreline, and got optimal. I don't have High seas, so...

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I finally GM'ed Fishing today and everyone's advice was really helpful. When I was at 98.2 this afternoon, I reeled in a nice Blue Marlin, which was the highlight of my fishing career so far.

Katrena

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,

I read the FAQ on skill gain for fishing and started a new fisherman. I'm on Pacific and at about 62, gains slowed almost to a stop. After hours of fishing in shallow water all over the world, I realized most of my gains are coming from the GGS system. I have even tried fishing at the edge of the shallow water where the deep water starts, as well as server lines. My total skill points are 173.4 and I'm currently at 63.6 fishing. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Katrena
After reading this thread, I tried the suggestion of going to server line east of Moonglow. I was stuck at 65.1 Fishing for last two days. I sailed north, instead of south, no real reason, stopping every few lengths, and fished off the left side of boat in front of tillerman. I had UOAssist drop fish at feet instead of in bag. After 4 hours semi macroing this with hammer on space key, I am not at 72.3 and still gaining.