• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fishing Quests is this really the monotany I have to look forward too???

Status
Not open for further replies.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just earnestly started the fishing quests and am only on #8, But #6 was a 10 Spiney Lobster with Bait as a reward, #7 was 15 Spiney Lobsters with book 4 as the reward (WTF), and now on #8 i have a 20 Spiney Loster one. Not to mention Spiney Lobsters are only showing up in traps about 1 in every 20. They are by far one of the rarer Lobsters.

I am only on #8 and am seeing 700 pluss quests for a 120. If they are as mindless (I know fishing is mindless anyhow) as repeating the same catch over and over in higher amounts I will NEVER bother at it is pointless.

Next big question is what is the reward for being a 120 fisher - ANYONE????

Pretty decorations are no were worth all the trouble.

a 5 min minimal bonus to somthing which will also probably require 100 cooking with 80% failure is also worthless.

Of track, moost of the high seas expansion is like this, Cannons - not much i need to say there, and now this INSANE fishing quest??????

:sleep2:

uorichreallifepoor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
see this is what i did, i said the hell with the 120 scroll early on.i got fed up fast but i knew people would keep doing the quest,that's when i picked my pole back up, got my trap's all ready and went to town,i fished for day's both land and boat
deeded all my fish and crab's and sold them, to the toon of 350 mill in 3 week's:thumbsup:now if i ever want a 120 fishing scroll ill just buy it:D

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty decorations are no were worth all the trouble.

I agree, the fishing orders rewards should be totally revamped.

As they are now, at least for me, it is more often a total waste of my time.

For example, I recently received this 6-liner fishmonger order :

Deliver to Papua

- 20 Blue Crab (40 points at 2 points/each)
- 20 Rock Crab (40 points at 2 points/each)
- 20 Rock Lobsters (40 points at 2 points/each)
- 15 Hummer Lobsters (30 points at 2 points/each)
- 20 Yellowfin Tuna (40 points at 2 points/each)
- 20 Bluefish (40 points at 2 points/each)

Total is 230 points out of 240 max possible points (approx 96% of max allowed)

I thought that I had hit the jackpot as, saved the 5 Hummer Lonsters missing, this fishing order was as good as it can get without dungeon fish in it.

Besides, it had 4 of the 6 lines containing almost all maxed out crabs/lobsters.

I mean, in 500+ orders this is the very best I have seen so far.

Well, as I said, I thought I had been damn lucky to get this one order and so went on to fill it (which took quite a lot of time because of the 75 crabs/lobsters) and then headed to Papua to deliver expecting a juicy reward. What a disappointment......

Well, wanna hear what I was given ?

Yet another damn useless 77 charges bait to catch a Fire fish (Fire fish, mind you, which I have been able to catch multiple times already with no bait needed when fishing for dungoen fish......).

So, a fishing order that is akmost as good as it can ever get for that level (about 96%) and takes considerable time to fill (few hours) gets me a reward that is useless because I can well fish the Fire fish (and I have, several times already...) without the need for any bait ??

Mind you, I was neither expecting a 120 fishing nor a 115 fishing Powerscroll due to the lack of dungeon fish requests in the order but a 110 fishing Powerscroll ? If an order that is 230 points out of 240 max points allowed does not grant a 110 Fishing Powerscroll for sure than I honestly do not understand how the hell fishing orders rewards were coded...

All in the hands of the RNG which over several times has given hints to players of not working too well ?

This fishing order was for me a total waste of my time (several hours). Lot of work and time spent fishing to get basically nothing really usefull as a reward.

Not good, IMHO, definately not good and a total disappointment for me.

I think something should be bettered in regards to what fishing order gives what reward so as not to make players feel they have wasted their playing time, as it happened to me.

G

Gowron

OK, now, with all this grumbling about fishing quests being a waste of time, I have to ask this question.

How many nets, MiBs, Tmaps, scales, hides have you acquired while striving to fill those orders?

I can safely say that the number I have acquired have been farely substantial. Taking into account these facts:

scale=20 points at the library
horned leather = 5 points at the library
level 1 tmap = 5,000 gold (minimum)
MiB = 10,000-30,000 gold (minimum) not to mention chance for arties

I'm not sure what a fishing net's value is, but I average at least 1 MiB for 5 tosses.

Now, I usually get 1 ancient SoS for every 25 MiB that I fish up. When I consider the fringe benefits of doing these quests, I cannot say that getting a book or a bait was a waste of time.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, now, with all this grumbling about fishing quests being a waste of time, I have to ask this question.

How many nets, MiBs, Tmaps, scales, hides have you acquired while striving to fill those orders?

I can safely say that the number I have acquired have been farely substantial. Taking into account these facts:

scale=20 points at the library
horned leather = 5 points at the library
level 1 tmap = 5,000 gold (minimum)
MiB = 10,000-30,000 gold (minimum) not to mention chance for arties

I'm not sure what a fishing net's value is, but I average at least 1 MiB for 5 tosses.

Now, I usually get 1 ancient SoS for every 25 MiB that I fish up. When I consider the fringe benefits of doing these quests, I cannot say that getting a book or a bait was a waste of time.

The fact that there is side benefits from fishing does not reduce the issue that fishing orders' rewards should be more consistant with the type of order turned in.

It works for blacksmithying and tailoring Bulk Order Deeds where the RNG has much less a weight as with fishing orders.

I mean, you can point to MiBs, treasures, scales and so forth as much as you want but I cannot find it as acceptable that turning in an almost very very best fishing order brings home basically nothing (yes, personally I see the fire fish bait as a useless reward since I can and I have fished up fire fish without using any bait whatsoever....).

I could have sold all those fish, crabs and lobsters for good gold rather then ending up practically empty handed.....

The point I am trying to make, is that the fishing orders rewards should be less random and more dependant on what type of order gives what reward as it already is with Bulk Order Deeds, whether small or large.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually get 1 ancient SoS for every 25 MiB that I fish up.

yes and at 120 fishing it should be about 1 ancient SoS for every 15 MiB.

There is no benefit to be 120 fishing other than baking pies which doesn't sell on my vendors at all.

Gowron All those things you pointed out can be done at 100 skill just as easy as at 120 skill.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually get 1 ancient SoS for every 25 MiB that I fish up.
yes and at 120 fishing it should be about 1 ancient SoS for every 15 MiB.

There is no benefit to be 120 fishing other than baking pies which doesn't sell on my vendors at all.

Gowron All those things you pointed out can be done at 100 skill just as easy as at 120 skill.

Yeah, that's another real problem, being 120 Legendary Fisherman really means not much of a bonus.

A Legendary Fisherman still pulls boots and shoes, has frequent no catch at all messages, has not much of a better chance at an Ancient Sos, not much of a better chance at artifacts when fishing or at pulling scales or white pearls or bikinis or etc. etc.

Being Legendary only helps a little at pulling up rare fish for magic pies which, as you pointed out, do not move off of vendors much.....

Question is, then, why bother becoming a Legendary Fisherman at all ??

G

Gowron

It's quite simple, people, if you don't see a benefit to getting to 120 in fishing, then don't freakin' do it. There, your problem is solved.

The only fact that 120 fishing yields from what I've read and what I've seen from the town hall minutes is a better chance to get the rare fish. If that isn't enough for you, then move on to something else.

Also, I've said before, and I'll say it again. Fishing for the rewards should never be the primary reason. Fish because you enjoy it. If you aren't having fun, really move on to something else. I'm tired of hearing the bedwetters whine incessently. Until such time as the forumalas are promulgated, all the bantering is pointless.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's quite simple, people, if you don't see a benefit to getting to 120 in fishing, then don't freakin' do it. There, your problem is solved.

The only fact that 120 fishing yields from what I've read and what I've seen from the town hall minutes is a better chance to get the rare fish. If that isn't enough for you, then move on to something else.

Also, I've said before, and I'll say it again. Fishing for the rewards should never be the primary reason. Fish because you enjoy it. If you aren't having fun, really move on to something else. I'm tired of hearing the bedwetters whine incessently. Until such time as the forumalas are promulgated, all the bantering is pointless.

I do not know...... I guess different people have different opinions of course.

Personally, I do not believe much in the take it or leave it but instead, I hope that things get improved and made better once problems are found.

Perhaps to some the current way that fishing orders rewards are organized is fine or, even if they do not like it, they do not care about having them improved.
Well, I happen to be of a different opinion and I'd like to see the rewards for fishing orders be better organized according to what fishing order can give what reward.

I just noticed a post were a 5-liner fishing order for 15 Snow Crab, 20 Hummer Lobster, 20 Crusty Lobster, 10 Blue Fish, and 20 Captain Snook yielded a 110 Powerscroll.

This is what I find wrong in the way that fishing rewards are handled.

A 5-liner order of merely 170 points yielded a 110 powerscroll currently worth about 10 millions, while a 6-liner fishing order that is almost as good as it can get with 230 points out of 240 max possible (without dungeon fish requests), only yielded some fire fish bait which has little to no use since fire fish can be well fished without using a bait at all (not to mention that the magic pies which rare fish are needed for, often sit on vendors unsold....).

My point is simple, better orders should bring home better rewards with quality of rewards being determined by the market. And the market wants Powerscrolls, not rare fish baits or special fishing equipment or "rare" (aheam...) fishing books........

Same logic with Legendary fishing bonus, why couldn't or shouldn't it be improved ?

As of now it only allows a better chance at fishing up rare fish.

Why should players settle with this and not request that Legendary fishing status could bring wider bonuses ?

For example :

- No longer fish up boots and shoes
- No longer messages of catching nothing
- Increased chance at getting named crabs/lobsters over regular ones
- Increased chance at getting an Ancient SoS when opening up a Message in a Bottle
- Increased chance at getting White Nets
- Increased chance at getting artifacts when fishing up treasures
- Increased chance at getting new items (like the bikini)
- Increased chance at getting White Pearls
- Increased chance at getting a Scalis spawn over a Leviathan

Bottom line is, a Legendary Fisherman should have an increased chance at getting all good and unique that there is from fishing as compared to lower skilled fishermen.

I do not see why a Legendary 120.0 Fisherman should have the same chances at fishing goodies that a GM 100.0 Fisherman has.

Being Legendary Fisherman should be more meaningfull across all board of things which Fishing can bring.

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see a gold payoff upon delivering an order.

Call me crazy but I'd like to see if my fisherman could make a living in UO by fishing alone without needing support from other characters.

This is not doable with just the selling of shoes. He does ok with sunken treasures but if a char could make a decent enough living just off the quests I could really immerse myself into the role.

And with that, legendary fishermen should get a higher rate since they are after all legendary.

I can invision a pay scale dependent on skill level.

tier 1 sub 100
tier 2 100-104.9
tier 3 105-109.9
tier 4 110-114.9
tier 5 115-119.9
Then the big bucks for legendary.

At least this way the higher rates a legendary fisherman receives would be an incentive to achieve 120.

G

Gowron

I do not know...... I guess different people have different opinions of course.

Personally, I do not believe much in the take it or leave it but instead, I hope that things get improved and made better once problems are found.

- Actually, you just complain that something is harder than what you thought it would be. Then you turn around and want more difficulty for others to achieve it afterwards. Your arguments aren't for the betterment of the game, but for the betterment of your own status in the game.

Perhaps to some the current way that fishing orders rewards are organized is fine or, even if they do not like it, they do not care about having them improved.
Well, I happen to be of a different opinion and I'd like to see the rewards for fishing orders be better organized according to what fishing order can give what reward.

-No, I never said they were fine. I have stated before that until the tables are published, it is pointless to complain, because there is no basis for providing suggestions on how it can be improved.

I just noticed a post were a 5-liner fishing order for 15 Snow Crab, 20 Hummer Lobster, 20 Crusty Lobster, 10 Blue Fish, and 20 Captain Snook yielded a 110 Powerscroll.

This is what I find wrong in the way that fishing rewards are handled.

-You seemed to have dropped this argument once you got yours, and now you're bringing it up again. I'll bet you're going to complain about how hard it will be for you to get a 115 or 120 only to once again turn around and say they should be harder.

A 5-liner order of merely 170 points yielded a 110 powerscroll currently worth about 10 millions, while a 6-liner fishing order that is almost as good as it can get with 230 points out of 240 max possible (without dungeon fish requests), only yielded some fire fish bait which has little to no use since fire fish can be well fished without using a bait at all (not to mention that the magic pies which rare fish are needed for, often sit on vendors unsold....).

My point is simple, better orders should bring home better rewards with quality of rewards being determined by the market. And the market wants Powerscrolls, not rare fish baits or special fishing equipment or "rare" (aheam...) fishing books........

-Who knows? Perhaps the better orders yield a better, but not certain, chance to get the quality rewards. However, as the tables haven't been published, nobody knows, and once again, the complaint is not fully with merit.

Same logic with Legendary fishing bonus, why couldn't or shouldn't it be improved ?

As of now it only allows a better chance at fishing up rare fish.

Why should players settle with this and not request that Legendary fishing status could bring wider bonuses ?

For example :

- No longer fish up boots and shoes (Some folks actually benefit from this, so why remove it?)
- No longer messages of catching nothing (This happens in real life and is fine)
- Increased chance at getting named crabs/lobsters over regular ones (Now that there is a benefit to pulling in regular crabs and lobsters this may negatively impact fishers)
- Increased chance at getting an Ancient SoS when opening up a Message in a Bottle (Yeah, and once these become more regular, you will turn around and complain that it's gotten too easy. Leave it alone.)
- Increased chance at getting White Nets (Useless, it's tied to the Ancient SoS)
- Increased chance at getting artifacts when fishing up treasures (It's fine as it is, and once again, you will complain when they become less and less rare)
- Increased chance at getting new items (like the bikini) (See above)
- Increased chance at getting White Pearls (I've been getting these rather regularaly as I strive to fill orders. It is fine)
- Increased chance at getting a Scalis spawn over a Leviathan (It's fine as it is)

Bottom line is, a Legendary Fisherman should have an increased chance at getting all good and unique that there is from fishing as compared to lower skilled fishermen.

I do not see why a Legendary 120.0 Fisherman should have the same chances at fishing goodies that a GM 100.0 Fisherman has.

Being Legendary Fisherman should be more meaningfull across all board of things which Fishing can bring.
For the bulk of this, you are incessently crying and whining that you aren't getting what you expected regardless of the fact that they were never part of the plan published or otherwise.

I worry about your emotional state. I can see you wearing a straightjacket in a padded room repeatedly muttering "120 fishing 120 fishing 120 fishing 120 fishing..."

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- No longer fish up boots and shoes
This should be a benefit of legendary fishing, especially with the new fish taking up so much weight.
- No longer messages of catching nothing
Dont agree with this one. It's called fishing, not catching. Perhaps if we all sought after the 120 catching scroll
- Increased chance at getting named crabs/lobsters over regular ones
- Increased chance at getting an Ancient SoS when opening up a Message in a Bottle
- Increased chance at getting White Nets.
Again, no. Now that regular lobsters and crabs can be used as turn-ins, leave them be. And leave the rate of ASoS's alone as well. Flood the game with them and they'll be as pointless as any of the other mass-dropped 'rare' artifacts out there.
- Increased chance at getting artifacts when fishing up treasures
- Increased chance at getting new items (like the bikini)
Somewhat agree with these. Although, when I'm out fishing up SoS's, last thing I want is to pull up extra junk. Just give me the box I'm after! I think a better chance at actually getting the box within the first 2 or 3 tries would be better. Nothing more annoying (to me) then 10 minutes pulling up pillows, skeletons and broken barrels.

- Increased chance at getting White Pearls
Leave the current rate alone. With the influx of new fishermen and women out there, the market is being flooded with them. Let the rush die down and the 'rare' gems become valuable again.

- Increased chance at getting a Scalis spawn over a Leviathan
Mixed over this one as well. Having never fought Scalis only seeing videos of it, I'd rather a lower chance of pulling that up when it's just me and a handful of friends tossing nets.

I agree there should be more of a payoff for the work involved with it then just the chance to catch the rare fish. And before I'm accused of whining and crying, my main toon has been a fisher since day one and will always be regardless of what boosters they may put out. With all the new boats blocking every sailing lane out there now, I'll be happy when everyone gets tired of the work involved and goes back to their spawns.

Also..
I'd like to see a gold payoff upon delivering an order.
This should be. Without selling my hard earned fish and crustaceans, I think I'm actually losing gold buying all the lobster traps. A BOD type payback system would be nice to help balance that out. Nothing to get rich on but enough to balance out the cost of the lost traps. Crafters have the option to sell their ingots and cloth to other players and are still rewarded with gold for doing BODs. Same should apply to the fisher.

My bottom line agrees with many others, the actual benefit for 120 fishing should be more then an increased chance at rare fish.

Back to sinking my lobster pots.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I worry about your emotional state. I can see you wearing a straightjacket in a padded room repeatedly muttering "120 fishing 120 fishing 120 fishing 120 fishing..."
Thanks but no need to worry, I am fine and good.

By the way, I stated in my post that I was neither expecting a 115 fishing scroll nor a 120 scroll from that order. But a 110 PS yes, I was.

And for the record, as I noted at the start of my post, I already had earned a 110 scroll previously so, I am not in need for one.

I am voicing my complaint simply over the mechanics of the fishing orders rewards since I disagree entirely with the way they have been tied to the orders.

I cannot possibly agree with worse orders bringing home better rewards than much better orders.

The point I am trying to raise is rather simple, better orders should bring better rewards, always.

I am not making the point because I did not get an item, I have gold to buy the item if I want, I could not care less.....

I am simply bringing up the issue because I think that the way fishing rewards are being handled is plainly wrong. I cannot possibly agree with a concept where worse orders bring home better rewards than much better orders.

G

Gowron

I am not making the point because I did not get an item, I have gold to buy the item if I want, I could not care less.....

I am simply bringing up the issue because I think that the way fishing rewards are being handled is plainly wrong. I cannot possibly agree with a concept where worse orders bring home better rewards than much better orders.
If you could not care less, then everything you have to say on the issue is further invalidated.

Yes, you have the 110 now, but in the weeks leading up to your accomplishment, your posts have been laced with "This is nuts, stupid, a waste of time, broken, bugged, and otherwise not comparable to your efforts".

Either way, you have epically failed!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you could not care less, then everything you have to say on the issue is further invalidated.

Yes, you have the 110 now, but in the weeks leading up to your accomplishment, your posts have been laced with "This is nuts, stupid, a waste of time, broken, bugged, and otherwise not comparable to your efforts".

Either way, you have epically failed!

Perhaps making an example might help better understand my point.

I do not leave on an island in the Pacific Ocean or in an area that could be much affected so, I would hardly have much problems, I imagine, if the oceans raised several feet because of global warming and covered those island and coastline around the planet.

Yet, I am very much concerned about it and would really like to see something done about it so that the poles won't melt and the oceans won't rise.

Another example ?
That a given creature around the planet might get exinct I do not think I would be much touched at all in my daily life. Yet, I think it as dead wrong that mankind does not protect biological diversity around the planet and all those species in danger of extinction.

So, I would very much like this wrong to be righted and species in danger of extinction be protected and helped around the globe.

What I am trying to say, is that, as I see it, it ain't necessary in order to bring up a point if one sees something wrong that one has to have personal reasons or advantages coming, in order to raise up that point.

Even if I am not personally touched by something mulfunctioning, I still believe I have the right to voice my opinion that such a wrong gets fixed by those who have the power and the means to fix that wrong.

I am not sure how else to try explain the point. I have tried to express it in several ways and if I am failing to make myself understood in what I am trying to say then I am not sure how else try to explain it.

The concept sounds pretty simple to me and straightforward, better orders should always bring home better rewards. Unfortunately, reports from players show how this is not the case, currently, and worse (and quite worse too...) fishing orders can bring home much better rewards than much better orders.

To my opinion, this is flat out wrong and it should not be.

This, regardless whether I may or not gain any advantages from it. I believe it should be fixed simply because I believe it being dead wrong as it is working currently.

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Better rewards is kind of in how you look at it. I mean... once the mad rush for fishing scrolls is over do you really want to be bringing in scrolls still? If in some future publish they decide to make the pies stack and/or people start using them are you going to complain that you got a lousy 110 fishing scroll for that order that should have given you holy mackeral bait? Yeah I know, a lot of people will stop doing the quests as soon as they get their 120 scroll and that will be the end of it, but other people will continue to fish and some will even continue to do the quests. It's only frustrating to people right now because they have to do them to get the scrolls.

G

Gowron

Perhaps making an example might help better understand my point.

I do not leave on an island in the Pacific Ocean or in an area that could be much affected so, I would hardly have much problems, I imagine, if the oceans raised several feet because of global warming and covered those island and coastline around the planet.

Yet, I am very much concerned about it and would really like to see something done about it so that the poles won't melt and the oceans won't rise.
Once again, your lack of communication skills is pointed out. First you say you could care less, despite all of your drivel about how insane it is that everyone else was getting 110 scrolls before you managed to finally attain yours. Now you are changing your tune to something to the effect "While it doesn't impact me much, I'm still going to voice my concerns." Of course, all of this comes after you have been challenged that your rantings are self serving...

The concept sounds pretty simple to me and straightforward, better orders should always bring home better rewards. Unfortunately, reports from players show how this is not the case, currently, and worse (and quite worse too...) fishing orders can bring home much better rewards than much better orders.

To my opinion, this is flat out wrong and it should not be.

This, regardless whether I may or not gain any advantages from it. I believe it should be fixed simply because I believe it being dead wrong as it is working currently.
As it is now, better orders likely yield better opportunities to get better rewards. That's as it should be. If you can't enjoy just simply fishing because you enjoy fishing, move on. All you have done is simply repeat the point. You haven't approached it in different ways. You haven't worded it differently. All you have done is thrown the same cheese into several different threads and forum sections. Given the trends that you have had throughout the questing process from ranting to not getting 105 scrolls, not getting 110 scrolls, to pushing for 120 to be harder, and to push your own agenda for what legendary fishers should claim as their own.

To make matters worse, you have NOT even in the least considered the unintended consequences that may negatively effect other fishers.

Think before you speak. Consider what it is you want to convey, and then consider what negative repurcussions may happen if you do get what you ask for. Quite frankly, of all the things you've been stumping for, I could only find 1 or 2 points that actually were well thought out and were with merit. That's a lousy batting average for someone with over 2,000 posts.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Better rewards is kind of in how you look at it. I mean... once the mad rush for fishing scrolls is over do you really want to be bringing in scrolls still?

Just a question, when where powerscrolls introduced in UO, initially ? Was it 2003 ?

Regardless the precise year, it was a long time ago. Yet, there is still need for them today. I keep reading in chat every day requests from players for this or that Powerscroll. The 120 Magery powersxroll still easily sell for like 15 millions, even after so many years.

What I am trying to say, is that while over time the demand for fishing powerscrolls will go down, there will still be higher demand for powerscrolls than for baits for quite a long time, I expect.

Therefore, and quite for a long time, the better reward should be considered the fishing powerscrolls, not the baits.

If in some future publish they decide to make the pies stack and/or people start using them are you going to complain that you got a lousy 110 fishing scroll for that order that should have given you holy mackeral bait? Yeah I know, a lot of people will stop doing the quests as soon as they get their 120 scroll and that will be the end of it, but other people will continue to fish and some will even continue to do the quests. It's only frustrating to people right now because they have to do them to get the scrolls.

My fisherman is not even yet 110 in skill and, when dungeon fishing, I do catch rare fish just fine. I have so many Yellowtail Barracuda steaks from deep sea fishing (about 3,400...) to do the fishing quests that I am good at making yellowtail barracuda pie (increase Hp regeneration: 3) for a very, very long time. I never ever had to use a Yellowtail Barracuda "rare" fish bait to stock up those many. I just went deep sea fishing and stocked them up as they came in. And, mind you, this was only fishing from 100 to 109 skill, not even at 120 level.......

I imagine that at 120.0 Legendary the rate for catching rare fish will be sufficient enough to avoi needing baits at all.

Besides, magic pies hardly sell on vendors.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ONow you are changing your tune to something to the effect "While it doesn't impact me much, I'm still going to voice my concerns."

No change of tune at all. Perhaps I was unable to make my point understood from the beginning but my point has always been the questioning of game mechanics which I disagree with, regardless whether or not they had any impact on my game play.

As it is now, better orders likely yield better opportunities to get better rewards.
I am sorry but I cannot possibly agree with this from a personal experience.
When I turn in at about 109 fishing skill 6-liner fishing order of 230 points out of 240 max possible (without dungeon fish requests) and get yet another hardly usefull bait and then I hear of players at only 100.0 GM fishing skill turning in a 5-liner fishing order of like merely about 150 points and get a 110 fishing Powerscroll I cannot conclude that better orders give better rewards.

Better orders should bring better rewards 100% of the time "if" they are better orders.
That is how tailoring and blacksmithying Bulk Order Deeds rewards are organized which are much more consistant, IMHO, with the quality and rarity of the deed being turned in.

Definately way more than it is currently with fishing orders.

That's as it should be.
As it "should" be ? Is there perhaps a developers' guide that tells what "should" be in situations like these ? If there is one, I do not know it.

Besides, since we have the same one game, Ultima Online, where rewards are handled differently whether they are related to tailoring and blacksmything BODs or fishing orders, if there is some guide that tells how these rewards "should" be awarded to players (like a guideline to developers...) then either the tailoring/smithy BODs rewards are handled the wrong way OR the fishing orders rewards are handled the wrong way.

They cannot be both right if there is one way that such rewards "should" be awarded to players....

Personally, I consider that blacksmything and tailoring award of rewards from BODs turn in the more correct one as the values of rewards are more consistant, IMHO, with the rarity and value of the BOD being turned in rather than what happens today with fishing orders.

If you can't enjoy just simply fishing because you enjoy fishing, move on.
My point is not about enjoying fishing. I am not discussing whether fishing may or not be enjoyable in UO as it is now (though from the complaints I read from fellow fishermen about pulling up footware i can see that there are problems out there...), my point is limited to a section of fishing that pertain to the new fishing orders and the way the rewards are being awarded to players there.

I happen to think that they are not correctly awarded to players because I do not see better orders always award better rewards to players. That's it.

All you have done is simply repeat the point. You haven't approached it in different ways. You haven't worded it differently.

I have tried to make myself understood several times, even including examples. I honestly do not know how else I can try make my point get through.

The point is simply that better fishing orders (which means more rare to be given from fishmonger i.e. 6-liners with a high number of points of fish contained...) should always bring home to players better rewards.

I do not possibly know how else and in what different way I can try to explain this concept to make myself be understood.

Given the trends that you have had throughout the questing process from ranting to not getting 105 scrolls,
Since dungeon fish get added at 106 fishing skill, players were not getting 110 PS and had to bind 8x 105 fishing scrolls in order to be able to advance in their fishing training.
With others, I raised up the concern and this was changed making it possible to be given 110 fishing PS even without turning in fishing orders that required dungeon fish requests in them.

I must conclude that my ranting was on spot since it ended up with the game changed to make something possible which before was not......

not getting 110 scrolls
My complaint was never about how hard it could be to get 110 fishing powerscrolls. My complain has always been about seeing worse fishing orders award 110 fishing scrolls when better fishing orders did not.

My concern is not about whether or not 110 fishing PS should be difficult to get, my complaint is limited to a game mechanic where I see worse fishing orders bring to players better rewards than much better (and rarer) fishing orders.

to pushing for 120 to be harder
Yes, I am convinced that while 105 and 110 fishing PS should be rather common, I think that 115 and 120 fishing PS should be hard to get in order to make the legendary fisherman status something meaningfull.

and to push your own agenda for what legendary fishers should claim as their own.
Not having a 120.0 Legendary fisherman I can hardly have an agenda about it.....
This said, though, I believe that the bonus to players upon becoming Legendary Fishermen should far exceed what it is now, especially, if the reaching of Legendary fisherman status is difficult, as I support.
I am convinced that a mere increased chance at fishing up rare fish is completely not sufficient and motivating the effort and dedication or time it takes to reach Legendary Fisherman. Especially, since baits are not really that much needed to fish up rare fish (I do fish up quite a good number of them at 109 skill, I imagine at 120 it happens quite more...) and besides, magic pies have hardly any demand and often sit unsold on vendors.

To make matters worse, you have NOT even in the least considered the unintended consequences that may negatively effect other fishers.
Are you here referring to my plea to make better fishing orders always bring better rewards to players turning them in ? If so, how would this impact players, negatively ?

Or are you perhaps referring to my plea to make 120.0 fishing powerscrolls hard to get ?
Sure, this is a negative impact on players but it is for all players, indistinctively, and a necessary burden to make the status of Legendary fisherman be more meaningfull, IMHO.

Or are you perhaps referring to my plea about adding more bonuses to the advahtages that a 120.0 Legendary fisherman should benefit from ?
We already have many skills in the game providing quite a boost for those reaching 120.0 level over lower levels. I do not see why this should be different in fishing. I mean, how can it be right as it is now where, a 120.0 Legendary fisherman has the same chances as 100.0 GM fisherman for most goodies that fishing brings to players ?

Making it to 120.0 Legendary fishing requires a whole lot of work, effort, time and dedication and many, many quests. This effort, time and dedication should be compensated with way more than just being able to fish up a few more rare fish which are only good to make magic pies which hardly sell.

G

Gowron

blah blah blah. If you keep repeating yourself, maybe someday, you'll convince yourself that your desires are for the betterment of the game. However, I will not be fooled. You've repeatedly discredited yourself to the point that it really doesn't matter anymore. Out of all your drivel, the only thing you've said that made sense was the insanity of expecting people to fish up items that required 106 skill before obtaining a 110 scroll. Of course, since the conditions to obtain them had never been published, it's not necessarily you're "valiant efforts" that made it happen.

All a 120 skill is meant to do is improve chances for success, it has never been meant to make failure a zero option accept for the most simple of tasks associated with the skill.

I really think it is time for you to explore other game play, as you obviously have never fished prior to this expansion coming out, and quite frankly, it is quite clear that you have received no joy from playing. Perhaps next year, Santa will give you legos.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All a 120 skill is meant to do is improve chances for success, it has never been meant to make failure a zero option accept for the most simple of tasks associated with the skill.

It has been tested by players who have already reached 120.0 Fishing, that even at that high level the "most simple task associated with the skill", fishing up footware, is NOT waived for Legendary fishermen..........

So, that "zero option" does not exist, as of now, for 120.0 Legendary fisherman status....

I understand your opinion may differ from mine, and that is fine with me. Nonetheless, my opinion is that the bonuses brought by reaching 120.0 Legendary fisherman status should be more consistant with the work, time and dedication it is needed to reach it.

A little more chance at fishing up "rare" fish which are not much good for anything since magic pies do not sell much, are really not enough, IMHO.

G

Gowron

I understand your opinion may differ from mine, and that is fine with me. Nonetheless, my opinion is that the bonuses brought by reaching 120.0 Legendary fisherman status should be more consistant with the work, time and dedication it is needed to reach it.

A little more chance at fishing up "rare" fish which are not much good for anything since magic pies do not sell much, are really not enough, IMHO.
Apparently, you seem to have doubt in your opinion as you seem to have the need to reiterate it everytime someone disagrees with yours. Or, you seem to think that somehow, I shall change mine based on your veiled attempts for self fulfillment in the guise of "bringing great improvements for all".

Your psychosis is to be commended, because your worthless drivel has not yet warranted such.

M

Muu Bin

Perhaps one option that people might want to consider is taking a break from fishing until they are comfortable with what the rewards are at for reaching Legendary status. I suppose it is possible that the producer and developers may change the rewards at future date during a future publish - this does happen.

Popps, I haven't read all of your posts on the matter (I simply don't have the time and would prefer to play UO); but it does strike me in what I have read that you've stated your opinion numerous times and choose to disagree with others' disagreement - no problem with this either. I am curious though, have you ever written in with feedback comments to EA/Mythic? I certainly have when I have some constructive criticisms, kudos, complaints, and even ideas for events.

I hope you enjoy playing UO for 2011 because it seems as though there is some frustration there.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps one option that people might want to consider is taking a break from fishing until they are comfortable with what the rewards are at for reaching Legendary status. I suppose it is possible that the producer and developers may change the rewards at future date during a future publish - this does happen.

Popps, I haven't read all of your posts on the matter (I simply don't have the time and would prefer to play UO); but it does strike me in what I have read that you've stated your opinion numerous times and choose to disagree with others' disagreement - no problem with this either. I am curious though, have you ever written in with feedback comments to EA/Mythic? I certainly have when I have some constructive criticisms, kudos, complaints, and even ideas for events.

I hope you enjoy playing UO for 2011 because it seems as though there is some frustration there.

Thanks for the heads up.

It might sound from my posts that I may not enjoy playing UO but that is not the case. It perhaps looks like that, precisely because I enjoy playing the game and so, wherever I see room for improvements I'd like or wrong things which I think would need a fix I voice my opinion. If I did not care about the game I think I would see no point to spend my time over it, I'd just leave it for some other game for good.

I see little point in discussing things I like about the game, unless I want to defend them against attempts to change them and so, I end up posting quite more about things I would like to get changed about the game rather than those things I am fine with.
Perhaps this is why my posts give an impression that I might not enjoy playing the game but it is not so.

As in regards to why posting on the Forums rather than just send a feedback, I think the Forums can provide to the Developers a more complete view on whatever issue about the game because the discussion usually has various points of view, perhaps dissenting with each other, and so the Developers can come up with a better idea of what might be better for the game from reading open debates about game's issues on the Forums rather than reading feedbacks which are only one player's point of view, without any dissenting opinions.

G

Gowron

As in regards to why posting on the Forums rather than just send a feedback, I think the Forums can provide to the Developers a more complete view on whatever issue about the game because the discussion usually has various points of view, perhaps dissenting with each other, and so the Developers can come up with a better idea of what might be better for the game from reading open debates about game's issues on the Forums rather than reading feedbacks which are only one player's point of view, without any dissenting opinions.
That's odd, it just seems that you like to toot your own horn. If what you say is as it is above, then I think you've sufficiently covered your points and appropriate opposition has been posted. I think this subject has been fully discussed. Then again, you can prove me correct in my first sentence and rehash all your points again.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's odd, it just seems that you like to toot your own horn.

If I wanted that, I'd just write a nice and comprehensive feedback to the Developers without any dissenting view to my opinions or points of view about the game.

I just want the game to progress in the best possible way and that is why I face the Forums for public debate of my points of view rather than just tooting my own horn via feedback.....

It would be for me much more convenient and less 'rough" to forget the Forums and just hit feedback but I prefer to withstand the heat of the Forums, instead, since I think in the end it is best for UO. to have multiple views presented on any given issue.

I want the Developers to hear my point and others' points, whether dissenting or not and make their judgement on which are more sound, logical, reasonable for bettering the game.

I do not care whether I win or I loose, I care that Ultima Online wins in the end whether it is my point or others' which is the one getting through.

Of course, that does not mean I do not want to defend my opinions about what might be right or wrong for the game. I speak up, the Developers decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.