• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fishing pole destroyed

Da BaBO

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so I'm fishing and a sea serp comes up and I get a message I've never gotten before: "Your equipment is severely damaged." I finish off the serpent and check my equipment; armor is ok; but my fishing pole is missing. (Grr..frostwood 4 STR, 6 SDI, 15 LRC). No problem, go back home; grab another frostwood pole (3 STR, 10 Focus, 10 LRC). I pull up another sea serp and get the same message. Sure enough, my pole is gone again.

All this happens within a 10 minute time span. Has this happened to anyone else (besides SP) since the update today? I don't plan on using anymore good poles until this is taken care of. Thanks to the update in heartwood quests where its easier to get runic saws, I can at least make more frostwood fishing poles.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to ask why you make a special fishing pole anyhow?

They do not give any benefit to fishing and oyu have to disarm them to kill anyhting off?

Just curious?

:pint:

Da BaBO

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: I have to ask why you make a special fishing pole anyhow?

The frostwood poles are all spell channelling; you don't have to disarm them to cast spells. Plus if you use runic saws to make them, you get other useful mods on them.

I have used regular wood poles, exceptionally made, since I lost those two poles earlier and I have have not had any problems with them yet.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can confirm this bug. :( Just lost my runic crafted fishing pole some minutes ago.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I already did .... but that surely doesnt bring back my fishing pole.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know that this is a bug, I think it was an intended change.

People were using the fishing poles to beat on golems/pets/and the like to gain wrestling. It bypassed the swing speed timer for whatever reason.

It is strange that an item can break but it doesn't have durability listed.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Folks, it's not a new issue - It's a known issue since before I made my first fisher in 2004.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That items dont show durability doesnt mean that they dont have one. I remember that you were able ... really long ago ... to destroy sandals on other players by beating them with mace weapons.
This actually is something else .... I lost my runic fishing pole when a water elemental was casting at me. And no ... I havent wrestled it.

T

Tuchman

Back in Lord Blackthorn's Revenge, Macers could and would just tear through your equipment really fast, I was an Lj at that time and a Perry Macer by the name of Rains was always trashing my Platemail Tunics when we fought :-(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Verite and Valorite elementals STILL have the ability to break items that aren't either insured or blessed (cursed MIGHT be immune as well), on a critical hit.

People routinely lose mining gloves this way (not to mention clothing pieces, and occasionally other armor), and show up on the Craftsman forum (or its Mining-specific predecessor) going WTF???

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe fishing poles are considered 'armor', in the sense that taking damage (instead of dealing it) is what lowers its durability?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is the first I've heard of this and the first I've had my pole break!

I have had my SC no penalty fishing pole since shortly after ML... I've used it dozens of times and I've Never EVER had it break... Never had a problem until just the other day when I went looking for "mudpuppies" .... down in the underworld I too got the message about something being severely damaged... but after checking all my armor I didn't see anything wrong until I realized my fishing pole was gone...

Not too happy about losing my pole... and I seriously don't want one that has a penalty....

I think this issue needs to be addressed... ASAP.

I was going to make me a new pole but if it's going to have the same issue then what's the point?

I'm a bit irritated to say the least since I don't use my pole to bash monsters I use it to fish. And as a mage I prefer not to have to re-equip my pole everytime I cast something.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definatly a new bug and new issue, or old one greatly worsened

Has happen to ALOT more and ALOT more often then efore and needs to be adressed with a myriad of other issues.

Take a gues at were a fishing pole weighs in at?>

K

Kamin

I've lost several poles on my fisherman without even being hit. My fisher was fishing on the small island in Abyss near the Kracken's and cast poison field on them (98 poisoning). As soon as one of them went in to the poison field the pole broke he was 3 tiles back from shore and not being hit. It's very repeatable I did it about a dozen times just for grins.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it would seem that something about offensive spells is damaging almost ALL handheld items a lot more. I've not noticed it personally, using summons and heals almost exclusively when not holding a spellbook, but people in U.Hall are reporting items with shown durability being eaten alive by their casting weaken, wither and other spells.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fishing poles have always broken. You are use parry skill with the pole. Step to the other side of the boat so they don't hit you.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, Spree - I've pointed that out already.

But there's a new bug in town. Hand-held items are taking damage from the wielder using offensive magic spells, be they targeted, area affect, or the monster passing through a field already cast - from a distance. And, unlike the old slime acid damage, SC weapons aren't immune.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, Spree - I've pointed that out already.

But there's a new bug in town. Hand-held items are taking damage from the wielder using offensive magic spells, be they targeted, area affect, or the monster passing through a field already cast - from a distance. And, unlike the old slime acid damage, SC weapons aren't immune.
This is not the same 2004 issue. 1 encounter did not break fishing poles until recently. This is a new bug.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RTLFC

I am relieved it's not just me. I lost the pole i've been using on my fisher for YEARS!! It destroyed with my Personal Bless Deed on it and took it with it. All I did was cast on a corpser, never got close enough to hit it all I did was cast and it went poof!! The pole I can replace, the deed I cannot. :(

I made another frostwood pole and sure enough when i took out my fisher just a bit later and cast on her, again, not hitting anything, it poofed.

I did report it.

L

Lord Drakelord

ya lost a nice SC pole the other day, had it for a year. Then poof gone.

Nalynn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just saw this thread. I lost two fishing poles in October within 5 minutes of each other. I thought it was because I was using a firehorn while fishing. I've been a GM fisher for 3 years and never had a pole break until this fall. It really is an annoying change, if it was deliberate!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an old thread -- i wonder, if this was a change they recently fixed. They had said recently in a FOF that they made a change where when you casted spells it would wear out weapons in your hand, and I wonder if that was messing up fishing rods too. Hm.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes very old problem. My first loss was my old nubi blessed pole. Thena really nice runic made one. Even burned through 3 begging acquired poles. I use a pally archer fisher. The poles keep vannishing when disarmed.

There was the welding a fishing pole for travesty to fight you with trick. But vannish poles have been around way before ML.

L

Lord Drakelord

I'm making sure to not carry a spell channel one now so when boarded I can at least drop the pole in my pack while casting spells

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I reverted back to using plain NPC bought poles again, too. Still, it's kinda weird, especially now that the Xenrr's Fishing Pole got SC on it. It like they want them to be destroyed...