• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fish point value question.

They Call Me Al

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen this point value in a few threads and was wondering where it came from? Is there any evidence or proof that this is valid?

Trap fish .5
Shallow .5
Deep 1.0
Dungeon 1.5

I've not been able to find any actual confirmation that this is an actual real way to judge the value of a quest.

Is this just something someone made up or can someone point me to a place EA has stated this system is factual information?

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen this point value in a few threads and was wondering where it came from? Is there any evidence or proof that this is valid?

Trap fish .5
Shallow .5
Deep 1.0
Dungeon 1.5

I've not been able to find any actual confirmation that this is an actual real way to judge the value of a quest.

Is this just something someone made up or can someone point me to a place EA has stated this system is factual information?
There is no official confirmation that this is a correct point value. As far as I know.

But it is acurrate in being able to figure out how much your quest would be worth in "regards to bait". Fisherman have noticed this since High Seas first came out, and it still hold true, even though we hear conflicting information from the Dev Mark Mythic.

An easy way to test this is to look at the amount of bait you recieve as a reward for a quest.

If you recieve a quest for a single type fish:
If your quest had been for:
20 crab or lob - the bait you will see will be for 10 uses
If quest was for:
20 shallow fish - the bait you will recieve will be for 10 uses
20 deep water fish- bait will be 20
20 dungeon fish - bait will be for 30 uses. etc.

This is just a method that us fishermen have come up with because it works, it accurately tells us how much bait to expect for a given quest if bait is the reward.

The Devs mentioned 4 catagories of rewards, what exactly those are and how they break down, or are "pointed" noone knows for sure. The Devs don't seem to want to give out that information. I do know you can recieve a lava trap for as little as 10 crabs or for an order that points up over 117 points, such as an order for:
20 fred
20 cobia
10 uncommon
20 demon trout
20 cutthroat
15 dark fish

So all I can figure is a very large order could hit catagory 4 or draw a prize from any of the 3 lesser catagories.

Hope this helps, but no, there has been no official word from the devs (that appears accurate) on the pointing or the catagories. It is just something tangible that we have come up with to try to figure out how this questing thing gives rewards.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The official word was as follows below...

But we have found that to be inaccurate when it comes to totaling the baits. We have tried getting Mark Mythic's attention, comments, explanation, many times, but so far have failed.

Mark_Mythic

UO Associate Designer

My Mood:

Re: Fishing quest rewards
Not sure how you arrived at your point values but it's not quite right.

There are only groups, one is shallow water fish, they count 1x
Deep sea and lobsters and crabs are counted 2x
dungeon fish are counted 3x

so, with an order of 6 fish at 20 appiece... that is going to be between 120 and 360 depending on the combination.

I suppose you might be calculating based on the quantities of bait since the quantity is connected.

The main reason I wanted to reveal that information is because I wanted you to know that the more difficult to catch fish were going to be worth more. I have not revealed anywhere the brackets for the various rewards.

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. Thank you all for being so passionate about fishing!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The bait amounts appear to be the point value Divided by Two

That results on the 0.5/1.0/1.5 numbers people keep wanting to use incorrectly (and they keep confusing the devs with, when they start talking about "half-points" discussing a system that the devs only know of as working with Integers).

However, as noted before, it appears there's a bug in the coding to where the Lobsters & Crabs are being treated as Shallow Water Fish, not Deep Water Fish.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bait amounts appear to be the point value Divided by Two

That results on the 0.5/1.0/1.5 numbers people keep wanting to use incorrectly (and they keep confusing the devs with, when they start talking about "half-points" discussing a system that the devs only know of as working with Integers).

However, as noted before, it appears there's a bug in the coding to where the Lobsters & Crabs are being treated as Shallow Water Fish, not Deep Water Fish.
Sure would be nice if you had a direct line to the Devs Basara, you have a good way of wording things into "Dev type" language.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading the posts of SashaSeeks about the crustaceans having the same weighting value as the shore fish (as a bug), I decided to stop doing the fishmonger quests and work on my fish stock until a fix is released since that 0.5 value difference might be reducing my chances to get better rewards.

Thanks for reporting the bug here. :)

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading the posts of SashaSeeks about the crustaceans having the same weighting value as the shore fish (as a bug), I decided to stop doing the fishmonger quests and work on my fish stock until a fix is released since that 0.5 value difference might be reducing my chances to get better rewards.

Thanks for reporting the bug here. :)
Hate to here that you are giving up on the quests for now, can't say that I blame you though. I've concidered it many times, but I have this "I can't stop till I get it syndrome," lol. I hope they get if fixed soon but we have had no luck yet since High Seas started on I think it was Oct 22nd- so three and a half months ago? And it still hasn't been fixed or even addressed. I have no idea how to get the Devs attention at this point, I've sent in bug reports, sent PM's (as much as I hate to do that) with no reply back, and have made numerous posts or commented on them. Don't know what else to do. Maybe we can sick Basara on them, he seems to have the "right way" of wording things that even the Devs might understand.

But if you are gonna take a break... might I suggest.....
Stock your crabs and lobs, and your dungeon fish first. That is what I have gone thru the most, then your shallows, and lastly the deepwaters. Deep waters you can always get while fishing from one port to another, so we never seem to run short on those.

At least when High Seas started I know you could catch dungeon fish at GM, you don't have to wait until you are at 106skill to stock them, only to start getting them on a quest. Shame is easy fishing and you can snag fire fish with no bait, near doom bell the bottom right side corner is "usually" pretty safe, and you can catch reapers there also with no bait. Another simple dungeun fishing spot is in the cave underneath where you access the cu sidhe area in Ishnar. Have never caught anything special but it is safe dungeon fishing.

For shallows, I parked a second boat. (It belongs to a second charector but full use was handed over to my fisher). I keep that boat in shallow water only for shallow fishes, that way I do not have to recall back and forth to the house all the time when I'm heavy. I keep it along a coast line where I can simply move forward or back to get my shallows, until I get bored with it, then I pop over to a dungeun for a round or two. With all the shallow fish stored in my second boat, I can simply make a commodity deed to transfer them to the house when it is full or I need them.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Deep waters you can always get while fishing from one port to another, so we never seem to run short on those.
I wasnt sailing to the docks, I stay on my ship near the intersection of three server lines, a little west of bucs. While on the edge of a server line but staying on the (let's call it) first server, I can recall to Jhelom, Skara and Trinsic docks and take/complete quests. Then I cross the server line and come to the second server where I can take/complete quests for Britain. So I can take/complete quests on these 4 towns by only moving 5 tiles (crossing from first server to other).

A little to the right (about 2-3 screens) is another server line that when crossed, Vesper quests can be taken/completed. Since Bucs is quite close to the Serpent Pillar for Papua, I travel to there briefly, cross to Papua using the keyword "doracron", immediately recall to the Papua docs without actually sailing there, complete/take quests and cross back.

I collect the Moonglow and the Floating Emporium orders and complete them when the hull is filled with them. I only travel to the Floating Emporium docks since I can recall to the Moonglow docks when I cross the server line to there. This way, I was able to complete a lot of quests consecutively in 5 mins. I only lose time to recall to my house to get the fish from the stock.

SashaSeeks

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, I do the same thing, use the servers to my advantage as best I can. I just meant that deep waters are by far the easiest to get because you spend so much time on the boat while doing the quests, whether just crossing a server line or on one of the trips to Papua or Vesper. As far as fish stocking would go for the deep waters last.

J

JimmyB

Another thought for catching shallows- I keep one of my tall ships parked at the Emporium. When I need shallows, I recall there and use a rowboat to get on the docks. Then I go to the bank and use my summoning ball to summon my blue beetle. He can hold 160 fish, and I can get another 30 in my pack. Saves a lot of time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
At least you can catch Crustaceans in any of the water types, though they apparently only can give skill gains when you are putting traps into deep water (I've yet to get a trap skill gain in dungeon or shallow waters, even when due for a GGS).

BTW, I finally got a reply from Mark....

Mark_Mythic said:
Thank you for the note, I am looking into the crustacean reward weight issue.

BTW, the longer you leave a trap in the water, the more likely it will have something good. Traps can hold up to 5 lobsters/crabs. It would have 5 if you left the trap there for around 10 minutes. Of course, the longer you leave the trap the more likely it will sink. However, the best way to do it is play averages, put down a lot of traps, expect to lose about half of them and the quality of the catch in the other traps will hopefully make up for it.

IMO, optimum time to pick up a trap is when it has caught 3 lobsters if you are trying to catch lobster/crabs for the fishing quest. The last 2 pulses start giving a good chance at getting enchanted and legendary crustaceans but there is a relatively high chance to lose the trap.

Best regards,
Mark
So, this is official confirmation that, if you're going for quest or recipe crustaceans, grabbing on the fist set of bobs is self-defeating...