• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

fish monger quest question

M

movebrightly

hi!

I'm at 109 fishing and haven't turned down or cancelled any quests. suddenly, I'm receiving quests for 1 line shore fish (10 count).

is this normal?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
hi!

I'm at 109 fishing and haven't turned down or cancelled any quests. suddenly, I'm receiving quests for 1 line shore fish (10 count).

is this normal?

Yes - something that occurs about the time you start getting dungeon fish quests messes up the entire calculation method.

The calculations are supposed to be

chance for 2nd line = (number of fish types you've completed at least (one) quest for) / (total number of quest fish types), presumably times some other variable to make it not 100% every time (we'll call this "C").

The chance for a 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th line works the same way, with (one) above replaced by the current number of lines in the calculation. When a chance fails, that's where the calculation stops, and you get the quest.

Now, when you start getting dungeon quests, that should make the divisor (or denominator, if you prefer) increase by 12, instantly causing the chance of a 2 line quests to drop from 100%*C to 77.77%*C (and a 72% drop in the chance for a 6-liner, as if you'd done 5+quests for all the base 42, that's a change from 100%, to 77% to the 5th power), but you slowly get that back as you do quest lines for dungeon fish.

That's in THEORY.

In reality, the drop seems more severe, and the recovery doesn't seem to come.

The numbers are messed up, somehow. Our best guess is that they accidentally added some or all of the trophy and recipe fish into the divisor along with the dungeon fish, or that the change in the equation to take the dungeon fish into account is broken in some other way.

I'm at 117, and I'm still getting 1-liners occasionally, despite having done 5+ quests for all fish types that fit quests.

So yes, it's normal (currently), but I don't think it was intended.

M

movebrightly

thank you so much basara, for the reply.

you are absolutely correct, it was when I started to receive the dungeon fish quests that I started to feel like I'd been "reset" ( if that makes sense).

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still getting waves of 1 liners of 10 Shore Fish, despite hitting 120 3 weeks ago, so I don't believe it's tied particularly to Dungeon Fish... I think it's more likely something to do with the way a cycle of orders resets, that is there's either an intentional or accidental implementation of something which moves the range of possible orders back down again after you've rolled on a few good ones. I seem to slowly increase in order size to a few above 200 points (100 in Pincos UI) and then end up back down in the low numbers again afterwards.

Because you will have recently gained the scroll and become able to do Dungeon Fish, the down cycle you'll then be on is coincidental, because you must have had a pretty large order of Deep Sea and Crabs to get it.

Unfortunately, what ever it is behind the scenes, what it means for you the Fisher is weeks and weeks and weeks of fishing frustration... I've had about thirty 260 point plus quests since I got my scroll, and just been getting bait (So many rare types of bait I've been helping Nimauq of UOGuide get shots of them for the fishing pages), and then having to spend a few days to build up again to roll once more. A 110 Fishing today is the best I've done, bleeeech.