• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Fish and crustaceans NOT found in any quest...

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all 'ye fishers out there... I've not been fishing for very long, so don't have enough data to know the answer to this question:

Are there any types of fish or crustaceans that are NEVER required for a quest? So I can just cut them up into fish steaks or crab dumps....
:cool:

Last edited:

The Mule

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The unnamed ones wont be used for the quests. You can trash them for points or turn them in at the library.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So a Crab or Lobster is dump for points, etc... Ok, is a Pike a "named one" ?

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. The unnamed fish are the ones called "fish" and stop coming up from fishing completely before you hit GM (around 85-90 skill?). Having been beyond the ability to catch them when HS was released, I don't know how much they weigh now (used to be 1 each before HS), and since the HS release there have been stacking issues (did they ever fix them to stack again, or do we need to report that in the Bug Reporting forum?)
2. The unnamed crustaceans are "Crab" or "Lobster". I believe these all weigh 1 stone, unlike the named versions.
3. The Quest Fish all weigh 10 stone, and stack with others of their name. Yes, Pike is a named (shallow water) fish. There are 12 named shallow fish for quests, 18 named deep fish for quests, 12 named dungeon fish for quests, and 12 named crustaceans for quests (6 crab, 6 lobster).
4. The Quest crustaceans all weigh 5 stone, and stack with others of their name.
5. The Rare and Legendary fish & crustaceans (the recipe ones, and the ones that can be mounted) all have variable weights, which rarely happen to coincide with 10 stone (and ones of this type over 20 stone display their fisher, date caught, and their weight). They DO NOT stack. They tend to be colors that make those that complain about neon weapons and dyes go into gibbering fits.
6. Standard Big Fish, Red Herring and Mud Puppy (the latter two quest big fish from the Underworld) cut up into normal fish steaks based on their weight.
7. The Recipe fish cut up into steaks that retain their fish type, also by weight.

Last edited:

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. The unnamed fish are the ones called "fish" and stop coming up from fishing completely before you hit GM (around 85-90 skill?). Having been beyond the ability to catch them when HS was released, I don't know how much they weigh now (used to be 1 each before HS), and since the HS release there have been stacking issues (did they ever fix them to stack again, or do we need to report that in the Bug Reporting forum?)
2. The unnamed crustaceans are "Crab" or "Lobster". I believe these all weigh 1 stone, unlike the named versions.
3. The Quest Fish all weigh 10 stone, and stack with others of their name. Yes, Pike is a named (shallow water) fish. There are 12 named shallow fish for quests, 18 named deep fish for quests, 12 named dungeon fish for quests, and 12 named crustaceans for quests (6 crab, 6 lobster).
4. The Quest crustaceans all weigh 5 stone, and stack with others of their name.
5. The Rare and Legendary fish & crustaceans (the recipe ones, and the ones that can be mounted) all have variable weights, which rarely happen to coincide with 10 stone (and ones of this type over 20 stone display their fisher, date caught, and their weight). They DO NOT stack. They tend to be colors that make those that complain about neon weapons and dyes go into gibbering fits.
6. Standard Big Fish, Red Herring and Mud Puppy (the latter two quest big fish from the Underworld) cut up into normal fish steaks based on their weight.
7. The Recipe fish cut up into steaks that retain their fish type, also by weight.
As usual, Basara, you have gone above and beyond with your excellent info here... Thanks a bunch to you and Mule and others for sharing so willingly... I (and others who may find this thread in the future) appreciate it greatly!
;)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fish - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Notice the Rares that have Steaks and Pies; the pies apparently sell very well for PvPers, so says MY GUILDMATE WHO PINCHES ALL THE BAIT I GET QUESTING TO MAKE A FORTUNE ON PIES; so it's worth getting a cook if you're doing a lot of questing, as you'll pull Fire Fish and Yellowtail an awful lot just fishing to replenish the questing stock.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fish - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Notice the Rares that have Steaks and Pies; the pies apparently sell very well for PvPers, so says MY GUILDMATE WHO PINCHES ALL THE BAIT I GET QUESTING TO MAKE A FORTUNE ON PIES; so it's worth getting a cook if you're doing a lot of questing, as you'll pull Fire Fish and Yellowtail an awful lot just fishing to replenish the questing stock.
What pies sell better for PvPers if I may ask ? What do they usually sell for ? Is the price tag the same for all pies or do prices vary depending on what the pie is ?

Thanks.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..... the pies apparently sell very well for PvPers, so says MY GUILDMATE WHO PINCHES ALL THE BAIT I GET QUESTING TO MAKE A FORTUNE ON PIES.... .
That made me laugh, Adol... THX!

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What pies sell better for PvPers if I may ask ? What do they usually sell for ? Is the price tag the same for all pies or do prices vary depending on what the pie is ?

Thanks.
I've not been able to catch him at it today, but I'll try and get the prices for you when I next see him online...

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And you continue to fuel this person's affinity for ripping you off, why?

And please don't say it's because he's a friend..

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, he does leave all his fish in the communal chests so I can go and do the quests; it's impossible to get anywhere solo due to the ridiculous amount of fish required, and that they didn't close the propensity for 1 particular type of fish to turn up in orders far more than others, as they expected people to trade fish... It's a little frustrating however as even then I had to do hours of fishing to make up the orders, and then I'd just get bait again. To be fair, he's not pinching them now and I'm mostly joking with him, but still, the reward table is pretty badly designed as our shared results should slowly be proving...

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
..... I'm mostly joking with him, but still, the reward table is pretty badly designed as our shared results should slowly be proving...
Certainly can't disagree with you there.... I hope they consider taking a serious look at the work/reward aspect of fishing quests.... You are completely correct is your criticism of this system.