• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

First triton build. Worth adding FWW?

gregor

Visitor
I’ve been working to round out my stable since returning last summer after a long break, and I’ve managed to put together a few pets I’m very happy with, but I haven’t done a triton yet, so I’m hoping for some feedback. This will be a chiv/AI build. I know both the chiv/AI and chiv/AI/FWW builds have been tested pretty extensively, so rather than burn a ton of time
testing it myself, I thought I’d ask if this is a good add, or a mana burner that doesn’t bringmuch return.
Assume general use, treasures events etc.

The triton is a 75% intensity with 245 strength, 124 wrestling, 176 resist. Not bad, not great. He has enough points for either build, but gets a little thin with FWW. Any thoughts?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
You need to have one good with Chiv AI. Or 2 with different resists. For bosses and solo targets. FWW is good when fighting groups of mobs. Against solo target it just burns mana. Against group of different hard hitting mobs, pet uses FWW all mobs re target on it. Then pet activate Enemy of One and dies. May be avoid chiv in FWW build ?
If you have access to bad tritons, don't release them. Try different builds for different mob targets and encounters .
If your tamer is Archer or thrower, FWW is good to confuse mobs.
If you only have one triton, try FWW Cu first. They have unlimited supply for experiments in Ilsh

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
For me it depends on what I am hunting. When I do roof for example a FWW/Goo Triton is the way to go. It makes that encounter much easier.. even without having a top tier Triton (ie 125+ wrestle).

Chiv/AI/FWW is good to go on spawns but, hit the wrong spawn or the Triton (like Gwen was saying) hits that EoO at the wrong time.. and things can go south kind of quick.

Best advise I can give you.. it take the thing to TC and play around with it to see if it suits your personal playstyle. I for one, keep Chiv off of most of my pets until the AI on it improves.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is a perfect triton for AI/FWW/chiv.

FWW does multiple hits on a solo target. When the passive magic is near 120 those FWW hits add up to the same as an AI hit. There is no mana loss as stated above.

Also pets turn EoO on and off so often it does not matter if there are different target types.

What kills all pets in crowds is them doing a death spin because they do not finish an attack if they get hit by another mob. They stop and target to the new mob.

So do not let your pet get surrounded. Lead them around and get the targets in a U shape so you can retreat the pet as needed or single file and the pet will munch them just fine.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Pawain, this re targeting when pet is surrounded is easily avoided when you tamer -thrower/archer with guard, not AllKill

gregor

Visitor
Thanks for the feedback. I cracked open several tritons today, two were similar intensity so I’ll try the fww build on this one and probably go for something a little more specialized on the other while I work toward gathering more doubloons.

gregor

Visitor

Some interesting stuff here. Thanks for sharing.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is a perfect triton for AI/FWW/chiv.

FWW does multiple hits on a solo target. When the passive magic is near 120 those FWW hits add up to the same as an AI hit. There is no mana loss as stated above.

Also pets turn EoO on and off so often it does not matter if there are different target types.

What kills all pets in crowds is them doing a death spin because they do not finish an attack if they get hit by another mob. They stop and target to the new mob.

So do not let your pet get surrounded. Lead them around and get the targets in a U shape so you can retreat the pet as needed or single file and the pet will munch them just fine.
FWW deals Physical Damage, the total damage on a single high Physical Resist target doesn't equal an AI (especially an AI that's buffed by EoO to 200+ damage). Just compare FWW damage to AI damage against the Putrifier or GD, let alone something like a Dimetrosaur.
Not only does EoO double the damage the pet takes from other mob types, but Divine Fury also lowers their DCI and makes them easier to hit for all mobs.
If you don't let your pet get surrounded, then FWW isn't being utilized to it's full potential damage output.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FWW deals Physical Damage, the total damage on a single high Physical Resist target doesn't equal an AI (especially an AI that's buffed by EoO to 200+ damage). Just compare FWW damage to AI damage against the Putrifier or GD, let alone something like a Dimetrosaur.
Not only does EoO double the damage the pet takes from other mob types, but Divine Fury also lowers their DCI and makes them easier to hit for all mobs.
If you don't let your pet get surrounded, then FWW isn't being utilized to it's full potential damage output.

You can say that all you want then go kill about 20 paragons at Chaos and come report your findings. That is what I am basing that statement on. High physical resist Balrons at Chaos.

Try it. Sometimes fact works different than theory.

And getting the pet surrounded in no way guarantees the pet will use WW. They seem to use it immediately after they stop attacking and restart. Again you can try that, I use a boat at the Dynamic spawn in Tokuno.

Player on boat, pet on shore. Melee toon brings mobs to the pet. and gets invised. Pet almost always uses FWW on the first attack then it is back to the horrible pet AI deciding what to do.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
And getting the pet surrounded in no way guarantees the pet will use WW. They seem to use it immediately after they stop attacking and restart. Again you can try that, I use a boat at the Dynamic spawn in Tokuno.

Player on boat, pet on shore. Melee toon brings mobs to the pet. and gets invised. Pet almost always uses FWW on the first attack then it is back to the horrible pet AI deciding what to do.
and in this post lays the key to keeping them using FWW...

damn near on command.

gregor

Visitor
Today I decided to train up this triton while live streaming one of my kids playing hockey. Bad call. I wasn’t paying attention and while going through round two of training I bumped stamina regen to 30. My finger wasn’t even off the mouse button when I realized the mistake. Ugh. It’s not gonna leave him enough points to use two Magic abilities.
No biggie, there will be others to build. I’ll either finish this one as chiv/AI or fww/goo. I’ll decide which in a week or two.
Here’s his pet planner if I go with the chiv build:

This thread has given me ideas on several other builds I want to try, so thanks again for the replies.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That works. You don't need so many HP, could get the other scrolls to 120 if you have them.