• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

First Impressions

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I was expecting to go 'ugh' like I did with KR but this was not the case. The graphics for buildings looked pretty good and my house never looked so cool. The terrain was better than i'd imagined too.

And so I decided to move around a bit. On my ethy ostard, which it would seem I can only ride if I become so bow legged that I couldnt stop a pig in a passage. And so the problems begin. Movement is smooth but looks absolutely horrendus. Like ice skating on an ostard if thats at all possible. No matter how good the terrain or houses, I simply cannot play this client if that is the way characters are supposed to move about the screen.

Its simply appaling. *sigh* I had such high hopes for the SA client but it seems it will be just the latest in a string of niche clients to run alonside 2d.

Oh well. Back to what I know and love then.

T

TheGrayGhost

Well, I was expecting to go 'ugh' like I did with KR but this was not the case. The graphics for buildings looked pretty good and my house never looked so cool. The terrain was better than i'd imagined too.

And so I decided to move around a bit. On my ethy ostard, which it would seem I can only ride if I become so bow legged that I couldnt stop a pig in a passage. And so the problems begin. Movement is smooth but looks absolutely horrendus. Like ice skating on an ostard if thats at all possible. No matter how good the terrain or houses, I simply cannot play this client if that is the way characters are supposed to move about the screen.

Its simply appaling. *sigh* I had such high hopes for the SA client but it seems it will be just the latest in a string of niche clients to run alonside 2d.

Oh well. Back to what I know and love then.
Just so we know, do you have FPS set to 60, Vsync on and Shadows turned off? These are some suggestions that have helped others. If you have tried these and still do not like it then my apologies, just attempting to help. If not, give them a shot.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know about ostards, but the "movement" on horses, unicorns, and cu's is so definite there is no way in the world you could call it ice skating. I am thinking the reason ostards have that feel is that they do not "bounce" when they run.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get the same on my horses, Ailish, and sometimes a sliding sideways movement which is amusing

but I'm thinking it may be just my computer :( and I'm pretty down about it

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL Yeah, I get the sideways slide, myself. I wonder if turning off idle animations affects the riding motion. I have them on, and on most 4 legged mounts the riding motion is so definite it actually seems to slow down the run speed a bit!

Siteswap

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just so we know, do you have FPS set to 60, Vsync on and Shadows turned off?
Yes, Yes and Yes.

And movement is smooth but totally unconvincing.

I so wanted to like this and everything else about it looks good ... being able to resize the game window, zooming in and out, the map etc etc. All great.

But ... the way movement works simply means I will never play this client. Its like my characters and/or their mounts all have a small set of wheels on each leg and they roll across the terrain rather than run. In fact its even smoother than rolling ... they positively skate across the landscape.

H

Heartseeker

Just so we know, do you have FPS set to 60, Vsync on and Shadows turned off?
Yes, Yes and Yes.

And movement is smooth but totally unconvincing.

I so wanted to like this and everything else about it looks good ... being able to resize the game window, zooming in and out, the map etc etc. All great.

But ... the way movement works simply means I will never play this client. Its like my characters and/or their mounts all have a small set of wheels on each leg and they roll across the terrain rather than run. In fact its even smoother than rolling ... they positively skate across the landscape.
Not sure about skating; the movement seems good to me, and better than KR was.

If you wear a cape it flies realistically behind you on horseback.

After playing on it for a day or two, it is growing on me.