• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fires in San Diego County....are mostly over for now

Noldor

Knight, Order of the Bug Hunters
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except for a fire up in the Marine Corps station north of Oceanside (huge open scrub brush area used for training exercises), most of the fires here are out and contained.

We get fast winds that come out of the high desert (near Las Vegas) and blow down into the valleys and out to sea. With the wind comes hot wind and very low humidity levels.

And unfortunately, it also brings out the Pyromanics who like to start fires.

We basically have 2 seasons here...wet during the winter and fire during late spring and through summer. Anyone who's lived here for 5 years clear out the brush around their houses and have a defensive perimeter of at least 50 feet. Those who are new let everything grow up right next to their houses. Guess who's houses burn down?

The closest it got to me is 5 miles...San Marcos is next to my town. Luckily, my apartment isn't near any growth (read: near concrete/roadways) so I'm not in danger. But driving to and from work took 5x normal time due to the lookie-loos parked along the highway (which is highly illegal) taking pictures...these were new residents/out-of-towners because the locals don't do that.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2014/05/heavy_smoke_from_brush_fires_s.html
(Our local news about he fires tend to focus on individual places...and you get VERY local-ized news)
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....0....0...1ac.1.43.img..0.22.1425.HFI3CQ0KWsg

TQQdles™