• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Finished pets

XeneX

Adventurer
Just curious how many pets people out there have finished training on?

I returned about 3 months ago and have managed to finish 3 pets so far with full 120 scrolls and skill them up. A PP Mare and WW, as well as a Fire Steed tamed in the same era. Working on a chiv/ai cu currently as well as a disco cu but lack scrolls to finish them out.

How many finished pets are other tamers sitting on, and what are their builds?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One toons Cus: Cu Sidhe Builds
2 more AI/Chiv Cus at least 4 other variations of Chiv cu

Lesser or Hiryu:

3 AI/Chiv
2 AI/Mystic
spellweaving
Ninja
3 bushido variations

2 Fire Steeds
A few AI/chiv NM
2 Naj
2 Rams
3 other
A single of most any pet. Search anything but flappy and I have one in a thread here.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did anybody do any pets without Power Scrolls or are they worthless without them?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Just curious how many pets people out there have finished training on?

I returned about 3 months ago and have managed to finish 3 pets so far with full 120 scrolls and skill them up. A PP Mare and WW, as well as a Fire Steed tamed in the same era. Working on a chiv/ai cu currently as well as a disco cu but lack scrolls to finish them out.

How many finished pets are other tamers sitting on, and what are their builds?
It depends what you mean by finished. Do you mean 120'd, or finish anyway you can with no scrolls, since we have a scroll crunch.
By the way 3 months in game and 3 finished pets : You are doing great.
I have been in game for much longer, and have only 1 pet finished : My Naja with slashing/PB/PG and 105 in wrestling, 550 points remaining.
I dont scroll pets due to perceived instability of the taming system, with 1001 changes and nerfs, past present and coming up nerfs, and lack of a mechanism to re-specialize pets.
If there was an endless supply of PS, it would be different. Also sadly there is no endless supply of time, if you have some type of real life, lol. RL wins over uo. Cant complain. It is as it is. Still enjoyable.
Anyway Xenex grats! And good to see you here!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did anybody do any pets without Power Scrolls or are they worthless without them?
If you are in a group you can use a pet with no scrolls and get loot rights. There are a lot of 105 pets I helped NOOBs make and they work great.

There are 2 issues with GM skills. The parry makes a difference. Your pet will whiff a lot more cause he got hit as he wanted to hit. The wrest, anat, and tact make enough difference at 105 and GM to notice. If you are fighting a high HP Mob that heals at the end. Your pet may have a lot of trouble dealing the death blow because the mob heals enough to overcome the damage.
A GM pet will get hit more often and hit less often.
If wrestling is GM and pet dies, you lose parry until Wrestling is GM.

So if in a player tamer group (2 or more) and no aggro, a GM pet is fine. No aggro on the pet means he will whiff only because of the HCI and not because he was hit at the wrong time.

If you are fighting things like Dragons, greater dragons, etc you can use a GM pet. 100 Chiv works.

To solo more difficult things you can match the pet damage to the mob resists and you can use a GM pet effectively.

I did a lot of tests with GM pets and then same build with scrolls. I can tell the difference on a Mob that I use often.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Most of my pets are unscrolled, because I don't have the scolls, but I save the training points for if I get scrolls down the road. Unscrolled pets still kill stuff, they're not gimped by any means, just not as fast as one with scrolls.

*EDIT*
My AI/Chiv Cu has 115 wrestling/Chiv. It makes a difference for sure-Pawain explained that pretty well above. Some scrolls are more important than others. Most important is wrestling/chiv/parry.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are in a group you can use a pet with no scrolls and get loot rights. There are a lot of 105 pets I helped NOOBs make and they work great.

There are 2 issues with GM skills. The parry makes a difference. Your pet will whiff a lot more cause he got hit as he wanted to hit. The wrest, anat, and tact make enough difference at 105 and GM to notice. If you are fighting a high HP Mob that heals at the end. Your pet may have a lot of trouble dealing the death blow because the mob heals enough to overcome the damage.

So if in a player tamer group (2 or more) and no aggro, a GM pet is fine. No aggro on the pet means he will whiff only because of the HCI and not because he was hit at the wrong time.

If you are fighting things like Dragons, greater dragons, etc you can use a GM pet. 100 Chiv works.

To solo more difficult things you can match the pet damage to the mob resists and you can use a GM pet effectively.

I did a lot of tests with GM pets and then same build with scrolls. I can tell the difference on a Mob that I use often.
Sir that was one hell of an outstanding reply that went into the WHY you really need power scrolls. TYVM

XeneX

Adventurer
It depends what you mean by finished. Do you mean 120'd, or finish anyway you can with no scrolls, since we have a scroll crunch.
I mean consumed all their points (I really was only asking about 5 slots, but others may be interested if folks have some lesser creatures they have completely trained). Whether that be 120 scrolls or not, as long as it doesn't have a pet training bar any longer. If you didn't scroll it up and consumed the points so you can't, I'd love to hear what you think of the results, especially if you have a scrolled version that you can contrast with! Mostly I'm looking to get a conversation about what tamers have in their stables that they put real time into, and why those choices :)

By the way 3 months in game and 3 finished pets : You are doing great.
I must preface this by saying that I did play a long time ago, 97-~2001. I was relatively wealthy back then, and had a friend who passed me quite a big chunk of gold when I returned, so I was starting out with developed characters, a stable with a few very good pets, and enough gold to be relatively wealthy again. Were I to start from scratch it would have taken much longer. I mostly just mean I have been using the new training system and acquiring scrolls for 3 months. All three pets I've scrolled up were very old (PP) and I blew like 70% of my gold buying them scrolls.

Last edited:

XeneX

Adventurer

They way I have looked at it so far is that adding 120 scrolls is relatively cheap in points, and those points tend to scale with the usefulness of the skill. On all my pets that I've put all 120's on I fought with them for ~20 hours or more before I scrolled/skilled them up and the difference when I was done was significant. I can't imagine I would see that much value out of the HP or mana I'd get for those points (and usually that's about all I haven't capped). So far I have saved points for all 120's on every pet I've taken to max slots.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Good job!
Careful always with all PP pets. Also if you have inherited any banes or dreadmares keep a few for yourself, (I would say 2 of each PP pet) and you can recoup some of your expenses by selling some. Jus careful with the current pricing of any PP pets you may sell. By the way : If you train banes or dreadmares, several things may sadly happen depending on what you do, and a> you may not be able to sell at all, or b> their value in sales may actually drop. Best sold untrained those 2 especially due to high value. PP WWs also share the same fate, no buyers if they get messed up especially.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I do have a fire beetle that is 5 slots but has 640 points waiting for PS when I decide to put them on him, with poison, and RC, I think AI also that rocks, and a blue beetle that is 5 slots with poison, AI RC. Both do very nicely, especially in group encounters due to the RC. The fire beetle rocks, esp. in mobs with low fire resist. He also trully shines when I disco stuff and RC is applied on top of that, makes for a really fast fight. The RC debuff is formidable combined with disco.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean consumed all their points (I really was only asking about 5 slots, but others may be interested if folks have some lesser creatures they have completely trained). Whether that be 120 scrolls or not, as long as it doesn't have a pet training bar any longer. If you didn't scroll it up and consumed the points so you can't, I'd love to hear what you think of the results, especially if you have a scrolled version that you can contrast with! Mostly I'm looking to get a conversation about what tamers have in their stables that they put real time into, and why those choices :)
Only talking 5 slot pets

From memory the following pets can get the magics: Chiv, Mystic, Weaving, Discord.
IMO chiv and mystic are useful. Discord is its own thing.

These with a build anyone can use:
Any Hiryu type
Cu Sidhe
Plat/Crim Drakes
Frost Drake
Cold drake
PP mare
White Wyrm
Phoenix
Vollem
Bane Dragon
Dread mare
Reptalon

Build with a high % starter or you don't need 500 HP or other things can not be added.
All equines
Dragon
Rune Beetle
Stygian Drake
Ram
Tsuki Wolf
Skree
Serpentine Dragon

Basically you can built each of the above with Chiv,Mystic, Weaving, or Discord.
You can force Bushido or Ninja on those pets by adding an ability that requires one. Tokuno pets can chose Ninja or Buhido.

The magics ranked by me:

Chivalry or Discord
Mysticism
Bushido
Spell Weaving
Ninja
Magery
Necro

The pets with good intensity will make the same basic pet with a magic. The difference is in the damage type they do with their basic attack. Mountable is a plus. Healing is a plus.

I have a magery mastery nightmare and have tried magery on pets before replacing it.
The only magery pet that I have seen melt points off a victim is a Bane Dragon. I think the main part of that is what the base Bane does.

I would like to find a good magery pet type since I would not build a bane that way. (unless I got a 4 slot)

Would be nice to find an application for a Skree. They have Magery and Mystic.

Last edited: