• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

F'ing Wood Cutting

Dr Poth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've spent about 4 hours today lumberjacking both in fel and tram and have no blood or frostwood to show.

I hate the random spawn location of special resources and how it screws the average player over.

End.

B

Belanos/Icicle

Resources have always been just as difficult to find. You just can't farm the same rare resources all day long anymore from having a rune.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've spent about 4 hours today lumberjacking both in fel and tram and have no blood or frostwood to show.

I hate the random spawn location of special resources and how it screws the average player over.

End.
What? Finding bloodwood and frostwood is hard? Damn those folk at EA!

Dr Poth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No they didn't, I used to have a bunch of frostwood and bloodwood spots I found myself, which I could use when I needed the materials.

I don't have time to spend hours every day chopping down a forest, unlike some posters it would seem.

B

Barrakketh

No they didn't, I used to have a bunch of frostwood and bloodwood spots I found myself, which I could use when I needed the materials.

I don't have time to spend hours every day chopping down a forest, unlike some posters it would seem.

I believe this was main reason number 3 of three that I canceled and quit UO, reason number 1 was the total lack of new content , and reason number 2 was the disregard by developers to end scripting , duping , hacks etc.

I refused to continue to play UO if it meant I needed to sit at my keyboard for hours and hours chopping virtual trees , with absolutely no since of multi player gaming and mind numbingly boring. Those aspects of the game are tedious and boring enough without UO making them a complete drudgery.

Honestly when I check the boards to see if UO has finally been canned and see that it hasnt I'm totally amazed that anyone would pay to play UO when there are so many better mmo games to play.:coco:

U

UONanook

At the end of the day, I think this really hurt someone who did not already have lumber stockpiled and is trying to chop lumber for weapons/armor. The same can be said for a smith who did not already have a stockpile and is trying to collect ingots for armor. Understanding that the title was wood, random crafting resources really sucks for a casual player.

D

Dragonchilde

It's a system that benefits those who have more time. I have no problem with this. If someone has more time to spend in game, they should be able to have something to show for it. Just because you can't afford to spend more than an hour a day doesn't mean you should get the hard stuff handed to you on a silver platter.

S

Sindris

It's a system that benefits those who have more time. I have no problem with this. If someone has more time to spend in game, they should be able to have something to show for it. Just because you can't afford to spend more than an hour a day doesn't mean you should get the hard stuff handed to you on a silver platter.
Well, I agree and disagree with this. Its true that those with no real life responsibilities are going to benefit (Game wise) from 12 hours of game play every day. Stands to reason. Where I disagree is that I don't think having a reasonable chance to collect a moderate amount of the more scarce resources is the same thing as having them "Handed to me on a platter" Silver or otherwise. Randomizing the resources was an attempt to curb scripting (didn't work) and add value to the higher end resources. (did work, scripters rejoice!)

Many scripters run unattended for many hours at a time. But, I guess they should have something to show for it.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Except you did not account for the fact that it is not what it was meant to do.....and it did not do what it was intended to do, so in fact this system was a complete failure but I guess the few that praise it is why it stays in effect, no? It was not meant as a "rewards over time" system, tho thinking about it they could just do that like they have done with every other system in the game, on the other hand...still would not serve the purpose of stopping scripting. In reality even if you have 12 hours a day to spend on doing something alone in an MMO then you would still not be on par with scripters who are still getting more of the rare resources than you are...the resources were not considered "the hard stuff" because the were rare it is because you had to have the skill to get them, and even then do you know the chances of actually getting the resources? The original system worked just fine in giving people who had "more time" a bigger reward, this system just makes it so you either have to script or pray to get the resources you NEED.

M

MoneyMaker

Hate to burst some bubbles, but the resouces have always been randomized. The system they had set up for resources in the first place did not work as planned.
So they just pushed up the timer on it. It was never intended to stop scripters, or to punish the casual player, it was intended to keep rare resouces, well, rare.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Random? how do you define random....if by random you mean "you get this type of ore every time from the same spot for 5 years" then yea sure, it was totally random.....the way it was set up in the beginning was not the same way it is now, the difference is a much larger coding job than simply changing a timer, they had to make it so "this type of ore" moved from "this spot" to the a completely different spot, which is not how it worked originally at all. the "randomization" you are talking about was simple the dice roll saying what ore it would give it at that time, not "move val spot from here to here" val always spawned in the same tile, if the RNG felt like giving it to you was not the same as making it so it does not spawn in the same spot over and over. The difference in the type of "random" you are talking about is the difference that upset people.

K

Kiminality

What point?

The point that the original system was design without foresight, leading to the ability for the "rare" resources to be harvested in amounts disproportionate to their rarity, and now that it's been "fixed", the resources are no longer so readily available to those who them for granted?

Sure, the system is still pretty broken, making the resources technically rarer than they should be (again, through lack of foresight, and consideration of human nature).
But, it's not the "few" that like it, that mean it stays random. Its the fact that it's a marginally better system, in terms of MMO design.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Kiminality has a point, but honestly it would seem like the current system is more gear to cheaters than average players. With that aside the old system was fundamentally flawed and did need to be updates, I personally feel they need to re-look at this point of the game again as it is beyond painful for even invested players to get the resources they need or want.