• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Finding the pin?

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I expect to use the virtual magnifier glass a lot when the changes go live on production shards. You can also zoom in a bit as well. But even with that help - I`m having some trouble finding some spots on TC. I guess it`s a matter of skill as well :)

O

Old Man of UO

Great idea! My Microsoft mouse driver comes with a magnifier built into the side button... I've always found that feature annoying, but looks like it may work well.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's pretty nifty but I'm reluctant to use it, as it only confirms that I'm turning into an old man!

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried it. Didn't do all that much for me except show me that the pin was only about half a dozen pixels...

I really liked the old black and white maps better because you could at least coordinate better with the landmarks.

T

Tukaram

I find these color maps so much easier to read. In the old line drawings I could never makeout any landmarks. The magnifying might help... but I'm getting old.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be easier if the pin actually did mark the spot, only it doesn't. That pin clearly shows the bottom edge of that clump of trees, yes?
The chest was actually found in the grassy area to the right and up a bit.

Attachments

O

Old Man of UO

It would be easier if the pin actually did mark the spot, only it doesn't. That pin clearly shows the bottom edge of that clump of trees, yes?
The chest was actually found in the grassy area to the right and up a bit.
Hmmm... Do you mean closer to the head of the pin?

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So two possibilities...

There is a fixed relationship between the pin and the chest. We just need to relearn it.

or

It is random around the pin.. In which case some sort of logical search procedure would be in order

How many tiles does 100 mining give you again?

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A square search pattern with fish steaks marking out the area you're searching/searched is what I've had in mind. Maybe a 20 x 20 area taking one step west to east/east to west and attempting to dig the spot up. Sounds like a good use for fish steaks to me at least. :)

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just had another brain fart as well..

It would be nice to get a message like "Your shovel seems to have struck something solid" in addition to the audio cue on success.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This shows as an example the location of the chest
Thanks for that. Not at the point or at the head, but a little east of the middle. Kinda like the other example.

Edited: Something else occurred to me. If you were to draw a rectangular box at the edges of the pin graphic, it would be pretty close to the center of that rectangle.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is really nice and good info, Thanks alot!

makes it alot easier for us without mining *coughs*

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure, but it's been posted in the other thread that the chest is always at a specific spot in relation to the pin. One pixel right and 4 down from the center of the red pin-head, I think the poster said. I'm hoping to check that out and get an image for the page later today.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm hoping to check that out in practice soon :)

My plan is to use the spiffy magnifier thingee and then put a mark down in UO Cart. That and 100 mining I should never miss right? :lol:

In the mean time, since the level 1s are reported to still be at the old locations, I need to find a new rune library. My old one vanished! :sad2:

Good Huntin'

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Petra! I play almost exclusively on Baja and I found one in .. surprise! ...
Luna. :lol:

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Iv been farming maps since they mentioned the new treasure and they being in random locations.
Iv collected about 80 maps now and decifered them all and found what number map it is so when the patch hits they will all be in the old locations and i can just use the rune librarys to find them ;)

Any i get after the patch hits will be random but it gives me 80 lvl 6 to play with for the first month ;)

Thunderz

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I fished up two new lvl1 trammel maps this morning, just so I could see how the pin placement worked out.

I believe the chest location is static relative to the pin, just as we have discussed above. That said, the problem still lies in interpreting the pin location against the either the radar or UO Cartographer.

The first map was in an swamp area away from any of the old locations. I was able to hit that one within a tile or two first try with my 100 mining.

The second map was again in an open area near a mountain in the area created by the new volcano on Fire Island. This one took me about 4 tries to get within 4 tiles and raise the chest.

So all and all I'd say you can get by without mining if you are good at interpreting the maps and have the patience to do some poke and hope. But mining is proving helpful in reducing the search time.

Hendric

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poke and hope? :lol: I think we've established the 0 mining treasure hunting technique!

Y

Yalp

If you use win7 os, there's a magnifier in the accessories which works the same as the one Petra posted a link to.. easy to use and don't even need to download.

O

Old Man of UO

I set my magnifier to 400%, using UO Cartographer with the EC client zoomed in to the same level, and it takes a bit of digging but not as bad as I thought with zero mining.

It sure surprised the neighbors just outside Luna when I popped my level 6 map next to their house!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you use win7 os, there's a magnifier in the accessories which works the same as the one Petra posted a link to.. easy to use and don't even need to download.
A nice tip! It's under 'Ease of Access', Works best if you click 'View' then 'Lens'.