• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Fighter/Tmapper possible

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I currently have a treasure hunter (carto) and i have been trying to figure out a way to rework his template. With the new random spots, Mining has become pretty mandatory which sucks bigtime since that prevents you from being much of anything else.

These are the skills he must have:

Cartography
Lockpicking
Mining
Magery (enough to cast telekinesis and get around)

This leaves just enough room to add:

Music
Provoke
Peace

At the moment, i am not all that good at peacemaking but my provoke is pretty good. If i could somehow fit a fighting template in place of music/provoke/peace, i could at least solo those level 2 and quite possibly level 3 maps (i think). I am just getting tired of getting beat up by zombies and ratmen while i run around trying to drag health bars to provoke them on each other.

Would you suggest i just stick with music (because it will pay off once i am better at peacemaking) or should i take the role of fighter and save the music for another toon?

The Treasure hunting templates haven't been updated in a while. Anyone have any good ones?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Your template isn't bad though I would need to see what level each skill is at to be able to help more. I would suggest that you get your magery to 100. You can summon earth elementals and control them to attack things if you fail peace or provoke. You can also summon blade spirits as well. I use to have a bard/treasure hunter and I once I found my spot, I would stop digging. I would cast a couple of blade spirits or earth elementals. I would then start digging it up and invis as soon as the guardians spawned. Once they started attacking my blade spirits or earth els I would then provoke them onto each other until dead. Once the main guardians are gone you, you can have an earth el or blade spirit casted and then peace any other guardians when they spawn and let them die to your summoned blades or earth els.

Here is a recent post with a couple of template variations for bard treasure hunters: http://community.stratics.com/index.php?threads/viable-template-suggestions.260070/

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First of all, you don't need magery at all, if all you're using it for is TK and traveling. You can buy telekinesis scrolls off some of the NPC mages (each NPC sells, randomly, either level 1, level 1-2, level 1-3 or level 1-4 scrolls), and even elves & gargs can cast TK from scroll about 25% of the time (scrolls only used from a success). Humans can cast from the scroll about 75% of the time.

So, for a fighter template, you have at least 4 skills for fighting, not 3.

Furthermore, if you have 2 soulstones you can use to swap skills, you have room for FIVE skills. If your character is the first to decode a map, you can soulstone cartography off for the actual digging. Many people swap Cartography & lockpicking out as needed.

There's also equipment to raise skills.

So, here are your choices:

If you stay a bard:
Mining
Cartography/Lockpicking (swapping with soulstones)
Magery (taken as high as you can get it, as you will need summons to fight solo creatures)
Music
Peace
Provo
Disco (disco is needed to get some of the higher end chest spawn to where you can kill them with summons)

IF you can get additional skill points from equipment, you can get a much stronger template. Do note that if you are going to use a bardic specialty from the conservatory in Britain, you want as much real skill as possible in that skill.
Suggestions for equipment: Traveling Minstrel talisman, Song-woven Mantle (elven sleeves, if an elf)), Spellbook with +10 or more magery (Tome of lost knowledge from Treasures of Tokuno for +15 magery), imbued jewelry with +13 to +15 in Magery & 2 of the

If you become a warrior:
Mining
Cartography/Lockpicking (swapping with soulstones)
Chivalry (for Sacred Journey and all the combat buffs)
Weapon skill (archery is safest, but melee does more damage)
Tactics (for special moves and DI)
Healing (to save your limited mana for special moves and chivalry)
Anatomy (for healing & DI)

Suggestions for equipment: Equipment to raise as many skills as possible. Remember that Tactics and Weapon Skill need to be 90 real skill for special moves, and Healing can be stopped at 90 (total) because that's where you always succeed with HP recovery. If using a melee weapon, you might be able to add enough skill points with equipment to where you can have Parry as well. If you're an elf, you might consider Stitcher's Mittens for the +10 healing. ToT minors can give +10 Parry or +12 Tactics (though the Tactics arms have sucky resists, unless imbued back when it was possible).

Personally, my template has parry (skill numbers may not be exact - typing from memory).
Human (all skill amounts are with equipment)
90 Mining (100 when holding Jacob's Pickaxe to dig)
100 Cartography/Lockpicking (swapping)
90 Healing
100 Anatomy (the base damage bonus is skill/2, +5% if GM, so while 98 Anatomy adds 49%, 100 adds 55%)
100 Parry
120 Swords (100 real)
101 Tactics (90 real)
90 Chivalry

I get +10 chivalry from a shield, +10 Parry from my ToT minor Do (torso armor), and 70+ from jewelry.