• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fiction] Night Owls

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Halt! Who goes there?"
The guard raised his torch to better see the figure approaching his station on the walls of Serpent's Hold.

"Ah, Fynn Barrett it's you. A good… eh… morning to you sir!"

Fynn responded merely with a half-hearted salute, followed shortly by a yawn.

"Are you alright Sir," the guard asked with a worried look on his face.

Fynn looked at him and smiled. "I'm fine my good man. Just tired."
"What time is it anyway?"

"Just past 4 o'clock Sir," the guard replied.

Fynn yawned again. "I just got out of a meeting. I really needed to stretch my legs and get a breath of fresh air before turning in."

"Bloody meetings eh?" The Guard winked and said, "I shalln't keep you any longer Sir. Sleep well."

The wooden stairs creaked beneath Fynn's feet as he climbed down from the city wall. "Tomorrow I'll return to Britain and start preparing for the campaign," Fynn said to himself. "Lord Protector Fynn Barrett. Certainly has a nice ring to it."

Colonel Clegg was sat on a bench in the city square. The faint light of a lantern flickered across his face. He looked up when he heard footsteps coming from across the square.

"Fynn!" Clegg yelled. "Can't sleep either?"

"No," Fynn replied as he sat down besides Clegg, "I can't stop thinking about tonight's meeting and what it means for future of the Kingdom."

"I'm concerned Fynn," Clegg said sombrely, "You know how I feel about democratic elections. The commons just don't understand the intricacies of politics. They aren't qualified to select a leader."

"Then why did you agree to the elections?" Fynn asked.

"For the sake of unity in the Kingdom…" Clegg sighed, "Almost all leaders and protectors of the cities in the Kingdom were at tonight's meeting Fynn. And for once they all agreed. I agree as well, we need a leader, a Lord Protector. I just don't think democratic elections are the best way to select one."

"It's only right the people get a say in this Clegg," Fynn said, "and you shouldn't underestimate them like that. Remember the people choose to follow Lord British and Lady Dawn but they rebelled against Lord Casca. They know what's good for them."

"I hope you're right Fynn," Clegg said as he stood up, "I really do…"
Colonel Clegg walked away in to the darkness, his wooden leg clicking on the cobbles. *Click* Step *Click* Step *Click*