• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(fiction) A Glow in Moonglow

G

"What did you say?", asked Lord Woodwalker with a frown, provoking a harsh rebuke from Jeromy the Scribe who was attempting to record the minutes of a monthly gathering of library contributers.

Ramon looked up from his notes and descriptions on the nature of Solen hives and half-finished notes for the Britain Library's astrological committee's investigation of hive geometry on recent distortions of solen translocation magic. "I said that Captain Avery announced the government is funding Kronos to complete his detector. Why? Were you competing for that grant?"

"I thought we had convinced the Moonglow mage's council to discontinue that project!", whispered Woodwalker to his friend with a tinge of frustration. "We still don't know if blackrock experimentation was responsible for summoning the destroyers of Magincia and yet even as that city lays in ruins with no funding for reconstruction, there is funding for finding more blackrock just as its concentration in treasuries was beginning to diminish?!"

Ramon shrugged. "I don't pay taxes, so I can't say I care much. Personally I heard that whole Magincia thing was the result of nobles gathering too much gold all in one pla... oops, forgive me m'lord."

Lord Woodwalker waved a hand. "Pah. Don't pay me any heed, it's just an honorary title for deeds long past. Sometimes I think people barely remember the ophidian war around here."

Jeromy looked annoyed again, then turned his attention to the loud words of Wound up Wendy recalling yet again out of the middle of the library after delivering a load of armaments to Dyastro.

Woodwalker dismounted his old steed Cricket just beyond the edge of the construction site. Neither Kronos nor Dextre were visible, but there was something odd about the grass. Within a short radius around the construction site, the grass was off-color. Even the nearby cobblestones seemed a little off, the tiling seeming to swim unnaturally whenever Woodwalker looked at it out of the corner of his eye.

Following the distortion, he found the corner of "Herbal Splendor" looking oddly distorted. Shelby, the shopkeeper disavowed any knowledge of unusual, although the ginseng and mandrake herbs on display seemed oddly fresher than Woodwalker remembered and Shelby's accent seemed slightly off.

"Don't you see the hole?", cried a voice from behind Woodwalker. He turned to see a woman, gray haired, but poised and youthful. She seemed to be looking at him in a smiling way that made it unclear if she was leaning in to hug him or tear his glasses off and eat them.

"Inu?", asked Woodwalker at last, half in disbelief at his own conclusion.

"Imetay itselfway allshay ebay entray andway orntay!", she replied.

"O ... k ... ", replied Woodwalker, backing away towards his horse. "You know, I think you'd much, much rather be talking to Maplestone than to me"

"Hetay ordslay ofway adowshay illway elldway inway ourway eartshay!", she insisted.

Although he couldn't tell if she was speaking spaghetti orcish or not, but something about the words sent a chill up his spine, something he had not felt except once following the piercing crazed cries of a berserk executioner at the shrine of justice. For a moment, a shadow seemed to fall across the room and Inu suddenly cried out and fled. Woodwalker turned but saw nothing, heard nothing.

Across the park, a pair of scarred adventurers debated bringing blackrock the next day in case Kronos needed some to calibrate his near-complete machine.

I

imported_blesh

I just love your stories Maplestone, thanks for taking the time to write them for us.

Another great one, M'Lord

D

DougAlmighty13

Very nice, this is the first time I've seen one of your stories, I enjoyed it. I especially liked the correlation between "spagetti orcish" and pig latin. Very creative!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<font color="purple">spaghetti orcish! brilliant!!

I've had no computer for a few days (which, of course, we all know is an incredibly painful experience for the severely addicted) and to be greeted with a tale from Maplestone is the most pleasant thing ever ~~ thanks!! </font>

G

Very nicely done, as always. I got the biggest kick from reading about the daily things going on at the Brit library, I fell over laughing, as only anyone who spent time in the library would.

G

"Let me see it", asked Lord Sergonar, holding a bandage and a few small bottles of healing balm. Taking Maplestone's, the warrior-healer looked it over, top and bottom, but found no sign of injury or infection. "No harm done", he announced.

"I'm not so sure", stated Salthook. "Whatever went wrong with Kronos' device last night, there was a definite spark, something that interacted with the blackrock in the area. That machine is most definately not a dud"

"I may have been far enough away", stated Maplestone. "He asked everyone to move back just before that small surge. You really should have been there Woodwalker ... it was the most incredible sight ... Lord Grazzt, Kryptman, Lady Wingfield, SHADOW, Imanual Kant, MageCruella, Lady Siren, Lord Pariah, Heromincan ... I could go on for hours about the names that were there. Kronos could barely move around the machine. It's no wonder it didn't work.

"So much power in one place - the ripples touch the firmament of the world", whispered Eternos, "I am shocked that you tell of so many bringing dragons to a town ... especially the great dragons now rising from the deapths of Destard. I am not yet convinced that hearts and minds of such great and powerful beasts can be trusted."

"But the fact remains that Kronos still intends to activate his detector again tonight", warned Woodwalker.

"So?", interrupted Tempest. "Why are we always dwelling on the fears of what might go wrong? What if it works? What if he can locate great stores of blackrock and what if it can be harnessed for good? This isn't Haven. This isn't Magincia. Not every future is bleak. Not every change is an evil. And with all due respect Woodwalker, Kronos is greater mage than you. Rather than worrying about what may go wrong, we should be there. We need to face fate ... and take a hand in weaving it."

There was a long pause, each member of the small guild's high council deciding a reply, none wanting to be the first to despair. At long last, Maplestone nodded and clapped Tempest on the shoulder. "Well spoken, my friend. I will return to Moonglow tonight and see what fate holds in store for us. But let me go alone this time. Magincia nearly consumed us all ... let us not risk that again." He flexed his hand, which still tingled from the small piece of blackrock he had been holding when Kronos' locate spell went off.. For a moment he felt like water was washing over it, as thought it immersed in the river of fate itself.

"I have to say I wished it was rather me than you", stated Sergonar, coming to Maplestone's side as the council broke up, "but somehow I sense that those who were there last night should be the ones to see this through. Remember that you speak for all of us tonight. Go in peace and whatever happens, let the virtues be your guide."

G

Lady Nighthawk will be there, to help defeat any evil this terrible machine may bring about.

Lady Damia on the other hand has decided that she should stay away, the voices in her head have increased in both volumne and frequency of late and she fears what may happen to her mind if she is in the presence of too much blackrock at one time.

S

Salem de Monfort

Gosh, you really know how to paint a picture, Maplestone.

G

*bows* You're too kind.

Now, Lord Sergonar did have a followup story, that told of the state Maplestone was in the days which followed the catastrophe that we now know unfolded, but well ... it wasn't very flattering telling tales of trying to talk a quivering lord of the land out from under a bed.

G

We'd love to hear it anyway. Moonglow has been such a death trap, it's no wonder he was hard to talk out into the open. There is no shame to have fear, and we all know Lord Maplestone to be a brave and honorable man, but Moonglow is a suicide mission, can you really blame him for wanting to avoid that?