• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Few basic questions

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right, just few pretty basic questions from somebody who hasn't really looked into taming in a few years.

- Let's say I have a Tamer with 100.0 in Lore, Taming and Vet. I give him some +20 jewelry that buffs the 100's to 120. What are the differences and shortcomings of this in comparison to a Tamer with 120 real skill in each?

- Character I plan on having as my tamer would often Soulstone taming, lore, vet away to make room for TH skills or other templates or whatnot. What happens to my stable slots and stabled pets when I do this?

- Apparently training pets is actually really complex now, with plenty of ways to break em and plenty of ways to train things in wrong order and whatnot. Does anyone know of a very useful guide or forum post that outlines the arcane bits in this?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The difference in real and jeweled taming is only felt when you use the taming masteries.

Generic Starter Template For Cu like pets.

Will help you with a basic template.

What type pet do you want to start with? And what do you want to put on it.

We can give specific advice/tips.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for the stable as long as you leave the stable alone and don't try to claim any pets you can't control while you have your skill stoned off they are just fine...

Just be sure to put all that back on before you go trying to take anything out or put anything in the stable.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also note for a Tamer/TH - You don't HAVE to have Cartography and Lockpicking at the same time, with a few caveats.

1. You need to have that character decode the maps with Cartography.
  2. You can then stone Cart off, and replace it with Lockpicking to dig the maps.
  3. If a map times out and resets (not opened in a month), you have to re-decode it. This would need to be done to all maps already decoded by someone else with the above setup.
  4. Done that way, you may have more room for keeping Tamer skills on the T-hunter.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The difference in real and jeweled taming is only felt when you use the taming masteries.

Can you please elaborate : What is the difference between real taming and jeweled 120 taming /Lore/Vet as far as the taming masteries are concerned? Really appreciate info also..

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thanks everyone, much good information and tips here.

I think I prolly look into a Lesser Hiryu or Cu for starters. I'd actually love to use a Runebeetle as main pet, but I suppose it'd make a bit lacking jack of all trades default pick?

And yeah, it'd be great to hear more about what sort of benefits and bonus 120 real skill would bring to Mastery usage. (in comparison to a situation where one rolls with 100 real and 20 in jewels. )

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With a rune beetle you get a little more flexibility due to its innate abilities, but if you want a pet that doesn't cast but is similar in abilities, take a Giant Beetle or fire beetle, and give it two special moves (AI and Mortal work really good together, since some things don't bleed), Rune Corruption and Poisoning. The mount ability of those beetles (and the pack in the Giant Beetle) make them a lot more general purpose than a Rune Beetle, though the rune still has its uses where one or more of the following apply: target has low energy resist, the target can bleed, and/or the pet casting magery is useful.

If you go to the Shadowguard roof with friends, you can optimize the fight with Anon by having one pet with each Damage type (example: each person going chooses from the list of the 5 damage types with no overlap - so, if 4 go, you could have a RB (energy), Cu (cold) Fire Beetle (fire) and Giant Beetle(physical)) . That way, when Anon shapechanges, all but 1 of the pets are still doing damage, and he drops a lot quicker.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you please elaborate : What is the difference between real taming and jeweled 120 taming /Lore/Vet as far as the taming masteries are concerned? Really appreciate info also..
All the masteries get the maximum benefit from real 120 skill. With consume damage you will get more regen if you have 120 skills. Same with berserk or empowerment.

@bealank can tell you the actual numbers.

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Very sweet info, thanks.
Also more regen meaning higher regen HP numbers, I assume, and also: The real 120 skills would they lower the amount of tamers manna per second use?
Thanks again.