• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fencing

Tectop

Journeyman
I have noticed since my return to the game almost all the warriors I see cover all the warrior base skills except fencing.Can I assume now that fencing is the weakest of the warrior skills? Or is it something else I'm missing.
Thanks

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Kind of. Fencing's strengths are it's base speed, which makes it good for hybrid templates and templates that are not using bandages, because you don't need to maintain 140 Dex you can have much lower Dex. Templates based on Feint, Leafblade sampires for example, it's more defensive than other variants. And PvP templates where stacking specials/effects it's more useful than pure DPS.

For PvM most people go for the highest base damage they can swing at the cap, which usually means Swords, also because of mastery's like Onslaught. Mace is good for Whirlwind templates (spawners - including things like Covetous) as an alternative.

Tectop

Journeyman
Thanks for your reply, I have a 120 Fencer but have noticed a slim pickings when it comes to finding slayer weapons. Thinking about dropping 120 fencing for swords

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My sampire used fencing for a while and it worked quite well, solo'd peerless and spawns no problem. I used spears reforged for 96 hml to armor ignore and a kama with 70 hit area for spawns. I just reworked him to use bladded staffs and double axe with swords and I definitely hit harder, though I dropped quite a bit of gold on armor pieces to get stamina and ssi high enough to swing at cap with a stamina buffer.

Tectop

Journeyman
Thanks for your input, so it sounds like my Fencer is not a total lost cause. I just dread the thought of having to work another skill (Swords) all the way back up .Just need to find the right weapons with the correct mods,would help if I had an Imbuer.
Thanks again for your help

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I believe a lot of PvP'ers still use fencing. In PvM fencing is not good (since reforging/weapon patch). Swordsmanship is so much better. Although if you use necro (wraith with course weapon or sampire) and don't worry about how fast you kill staff you can use fencing. Macefighting is a possible option if you want to use mainly 1H weapons. +30 hp bonus makes some fights safer.

Barbarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
FWIW - I don't know when you last trained up a weaponskill but it doesn't take that long these days.

I've done swords to 120 twice recently, with a few SoTs and SoAs I managed about four days per character.

Training was relatively quick - soulstone on 50 or do the accelerated gain newbie quest, then new haven mine - painted caves - highland bouras to 120.

Just a thought as I seem to recall it taking forever years ago :)

Tectop

Journeyman
Yea. It was a long time ago when I built my Fencer and the gains was spool slow. I am seriously thinking of making the switch and the training plan described looks easy enough
Thanks again too all for all the advice and help.