• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fencing] Fencing and Poisoning Skill

Santiago

Visitor
I've newly returned to the game, and I've decided I like fencing, so I want to get 120 fencing skill. I'll be using this character primarily for PvM.

I'd like to be able to use infectious strike, and it seems that poisoning is a natural supplement for fencers, but I'm wondering how much poison skill I should train. Do I need GM Poisoner or is 60-80 skill enough? Also, how useful is poisoning against monsters the game's current monsters?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find poisoning pretty useless in PvM, at least against anything higher end... for dexxers PvM is basically still revolving around either double strike or armor ignore.

Summoned

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you just getting back head over and read the mordern sampire post. It will help a lot. But double strike will hit for 100 damage 2x so 200 points where the kryss in fencing is a low hitting wep to start, probably hits for 50 and Dp doesn't do much... Also the double axe has whirl wind attack so you can hit mobs at one time. Mass damage. Fencing is cool but it just doesn't have the weps required. Archery and throwing are probably next but you can't get near the life leech and mana leach on range weps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I had a fencing sampire for the sole purpose of feint.

I switched to swords and never looked back. Onslaught plus double strike is just way too good.

Such a shame about poisoning because underpowered in PvM. I’d love the idea of playing a rogue type character with ninjitsu.

Santiago

Visitor
Such a shame about poisoning because underpowered in PvM.
I'd heard it was not good for PvP either. So it's not good for anything then?

Overall, from this thread what I take away is that in the game that is supposed to give players the greatest freedom to create characters, in fact, there is only one viable template, which is to say UO actually has fewer playable options than games with fixed classes. :(

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I'd heard it was not good for PvP either. So it's not good for anything then?

Overall, from this thread what I take away is that in the game that is supposed to give players the greatest freedom to create characters, in fact, there is only one viable template, which is to say UO actually has fewer playable options than games with fixed classes. :(
For PVM there are a few templates. Classic sampire build. Modified sampire. Chiv-less sampire. Bushido paladin. Classic Paladin with shield. Bushido Archer. Duo melee skill builds. Throwers. Hybrid archer/tamer.

Definitely skip poisoning for PvM. I tested it and it was lackluster.

Santiago

Visitor
For PVM there are a few templates. Classic sampire build. Modified sampire. Chiv-less sampire. Bushido paladin. Classic Paladin with shield. Bushido Archer. Duo melee skill builds. Throwers. Hybrid archer/tamer.

Definitely skip poisoning for PvM. I tested it and it was lackluster.
This is helpful. That's too bad about poisoning. Seems it would be fun to poison monsters.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Poisoning in PvM serves primarily as a defensive option in two ways; 1) Having Poisoning on your template will auto-cure similar to being in Vamp Form, I personally think it's a bit better at high levels, and it's a lot better than Resist Spells, as such it's a viable option for left over points, I've used as little as 65 and found it about on par with Vamp Form for auto-cure. 2) If you're continuously poisoning monsters they a) can't heal and b) will prioritise trying to cure over casting offensive magics.

Poisoning fun options:
With Ninjitsu you have access to Poison darts/stars, Parasitic and Dark Glow Poisons.
With Ninjitsu Animal Form you have access to Frog Form - which Poisons any time you get hit (great for aggro'ing in spawn if you disarm your weapon), and Serpent Form - which Poisons the target every time you hit.
120 Magery + 80 Poisoning = Cast Deadly Poison Fields, this is great for aggro'ing groups of monsters to gather them up for area attacks.
Against monsters with Healing such as Cu Sidhe, Centaurs, some of the new dinosaurs.
With Archery special move Serpent Arrow.

Santiago

Visitor
Poisoning in PvM serves primarily as a defensive option in two ways; 1) Having Poisoning on your template will auto-cure similar to being in Vamp Form, I personally think it's a bit better at high levels, and it's a lot better than Resist Spells, as such it's a viable option for left over points, I've used as little as 65 and found it about on par with Vamp Form for auto-cure.
Nice. Do I need to do something to actively cure the poison, or is it a passive resist?

Summoned

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a sampire being posioned doesn't matter since you get 81% life leech everytime you hit.. You will basically all ways be all 100% hp till it times out. Plus a double axe is 2 handed so you can't drink pots. But no needed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is from the Poisoning Mastery, Injected Strike - When activated the poisoner will apply a poison resistance debuff to their target (30%PvM, 15% PvP - can be negated by overcapping poison resist) for a duration based on poisoning skill, anatomy skill, and mastery level. Any poisons applied to the poisoner’s weapon will also be applied to the target. Poison may be applied to any weapon using this ability, however the poison applied to non-infecting weapons may only be applied by use of this ability and will reduce the poison level by one grade, debuff will be reduced on ranged weapons.Injected Strike is cancelled by all special abilities (Death Strike, Counter Attack…) Unlike special abilities, the 30 mana cost is applied when the ability is toggled on, not at point of strike.
I found it quite fun to use with any weapon and if you find a mob with low poison resist it does lower it 30%. You could toggle to this for fun and run swords mastery or whatever the rest of the time.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been messing about with my characters after coming back and have a fencer/ninja/poisoner. I have found that the parasite poison can have it's uses as a little extra healer and there are whirlwind fencer weds too which are pretty nice. The poisoning can be useful but in terms of effective melee I would try other builds. My swords sampire seems to be the most effective for general hunting while disco chiv Archer is great for tough critters too but sampire is so much easier to play.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Hard to disagree with the majority of members posting here, as they are correct that swords sampire is the optimal pvm dexer template, at least in terms of versatility and survivability. They are especially good with large groups of mobs (whirlwind) and also very effective against single targets (ai/onslaught+dbl strike)... So if you are new or newly returning that is the best option for you. If cost is an issue mace fighting can also make a good sampire, at least until you can afford that rather pricey 120 swords PS.

However if you want fun or a challenge there are a number of alternatives available to you, many listed here. Pure pallys (enjoy your 4/6 casting and the benefits of using a shield), dragoons (basically samp with healing instead of necro), ninja dexers, and all types of archers and tamers... Even melee tamers and tamer/archers, ofc!

UO is still a great game with a lot of room for cross-classing. Even the cookie-cuttingest sampire template will call for a swap of anat/lumberjack/resist from time to time! But you must realize the game has evolved into a more equipment-oriented play style, and with equipment optimization comes skill optimization. But don't feel forced to play a sampire to be viable in pvm, just take the kernel of wisdom that it does come heavily recommended with a grain of salt, and play the game however you'd like.

If you are the min/maxer type that must have optimized survivability and damage output, you should give it a shot. but then again if you were that type of player, i wouldn't have felt the need to write this long ass post and conclude it by telling you so! Is it more fun to play a quirky template, or more fun to rest-assured knowing you are optimally efficient?