• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fel needs a purpose

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been laying DaoC for the past 3 months. I had quit playing UO and gave all my stuff away back in Dec. I'm just wondering why UO never did what DaoC does for RvR (pvp). I mean the new frontiers is always busy with rvr and so many places to fight and conquer. UO has Yew gate and champ spawns. Both games are owned by EA/Mythic.

For example for the ones who dont know about DaoC. You have 3 realms against each other. You have your land to control and defend with keeps and towers. They give you all types of missions ( solo, group, guild and realm missions) for RvR. The land is huge and many places to fight. You can also enter the other realms lands and try to take their keeps and towers. I been having a blast since it's constant RvR everywhere I go. I play an alb and I can come up on mids and be fighting then bam side attack from hibs on both us and the mids.

UO could implement some type of arrangement for fel lands to be under control by guilds and have to defend. I mean cmon power scrolls are almost not needed anymore b/c most people have their chars already set up. Champ spawns should be moved to ish and make fel more pvp oriented. How hard is it to kill pvm templates at a spawn on a pvp char set up. Pretty darn easy. Not much to brag about kill a pvm template imo.

Fel needs some love but controling champ spawns gets old after a while real quick. Make it where pvp is just more then yew gate ( which isnt really pvp) and champ spawns. You have alot of the land not being used. Im not talking about factions just the land being used alot more then it is now. The days when fel banks was busy is over. I could run all thru fel and hardly see a red (well I was red :p) anywhere except yew gate when I played.

G

All the essential parts for a simple factions warzone seem to be there with the invasion mechanic (divide up between two "sides" instead of simply invaded/cleared). It could be generalized to all factions if there was some way of determining which side was the invader (and thus which side controlled a conquered zone). Then it would be just a matter of picking a collection of zones across Fel and a great sprawling war could be unleashed.

(of course, I'd also want some mechanic for Trammies to be gathering/sending supplies so that the politics/play of such an event could cross all facets ... *thinks* ... well then again, maybe not)

G

Being well ... from a different land ... I've never actually heard what's broken about factions. Are there mechanics that don't work or are the rewards not worth the effort?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Being well ... from a different land ... I've never actually heard what's broken about factions. Are there mechanics that don't work or are the rewards not worth the effort?

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no reward for playing factions at the moment. Unless you consider being able to ride a colored horse a worthwhile reward.

I

imported_Spiritless

Ability to place cheap reg vendors is useful... 'cept noone uses regs even these days.

G

Thanks. When would you say the turning point was?

I was thinking ... you could almost create a "pre-AOS" feel to factions by having factions character surrounded by a berserker-style shield (almost no damage to most attacks) while having non-runic toolkits that could mark exceptional items as "faction equipment", able to cut through that shield. This would also allow the faction economy to be mostly self-contained without threatening or being threatened by the wider game economy. Storywise, I suppose it would be a bit tricky to explain though.

(anyway, I should probably not be spouting off ideas for something I'm not experienced with)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Unless you consider being able to ride a colored horse a worthwhile reward.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I should not shock you with how many pink rabbits I have stabled.

G

There never really was a reward. Bragging rights. Owning towns. Special titles.
I think factions died before AOS though.
There are a lot of great suggestions for factions in the faction forums. Special spawns is one I think a lot of people would enjoy and bring people to Fel.

W

whiterock

There are is place like that, well a server. It's called siege. It's fel everywhere and you always have to defend yourself from pvpers, theives, and such. But I get what your saying. Fel has lots of stuff already though. 2x resources. Scrolls. 2x fame. But many people don't like fel because of the risk of losing their suits and people speed hacking. I play fel sometimes and I hear people losing their suits cause of bugs or hacks or w/e and I've seen quite a few drop at yew gate. If u want ur version of the game u could set one up urself, customize it, and hope people join it. and its free.

One thing i did like in siege was the fel doom. I wish there was one on the regular servers that dropped like level 15 arties so reds would rush in there.

S

stevethepirate86

sadly id say the main purpose of fel is for you and 6 freinds to go show 1 guy why your opinion is better then theirs. asides from that killing a harrower or champ is the only other main purpose ive found so far. now some good old fashioned guild wars or faction fights with some new tactics the unlimited posibilities there..........

S

Smokin

its funny how alot of pvpers say the champs are boring, yet if someone mentions to let them come to tram they get all bent out of shape.

G

Fel do have a purpose, if you want to play RvR, play DAoC

Fel is true UO, only problem is, devs in the past decided to add Trammel zone insted of make new non PvP shards.

Only DAoC shard I ever enjoyed to play was the PvP shard, where all could go everywhere, could kill everyone and could be in guild with chars from all 3 realms. I guess I liked it because it was almost UO rules except for no looting.

No need to make UO to a DAoC clone

G

<blockquote><hr>

Fel is true UO,

[/ QUOTE ]Strange, that "true UO" is a minority playstyle in UO...

I

imported_Traveller

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

To extend the reply you have been given... both:

Rewards: The only rewwards from factions were cheap regs, blessed weaps, and faction horses. After AoS (with insurance and LRC) only the ressable faction horses were still a reward, which has been completely superseded by the Chargers.

Game mechanics: Not all faction chars are rewarded (even assuming the rewards are still there). For instance thieves get nothing for stealing sigils (even assuming that a char with 80 stealing on it deserve the name of "thief"). + too easy to exploit.

G

Faction need to be improved.
We nee
d a 5000(kilin
g 100 oponents) optoin faction Titel for the player plus Reward(pvp bows,pvp swords,pvp magery yews),a 10000 point titel for the player 200 player faction kills plus Horses ethernals wich are 20 percentage faster then the normal horses.) And 50000 points titel for the player 500 faction kills and e pet for a tamer wich is ethernal pet.)
For the land to defend it you can make faction outpost in felcua all over the land wich you have to defend.Whats the benefite to denfeded the hall land in felcua trough outposts?You get points for the last reward 100000 point reward
titel or 1000 faction kills for specail spells rewards and the outpost when you controll them give you new arties and powescrolls by randdom that means you controll 3 outpost in fell over 1 week then you log in and go to one outpost and there in a hest is a 115 ps or a Arti.If you controll 5 outpost faction maybe you wake up log into uo and make chek one poutpost there is randdom 120 ps in the box wich only our faction can loot or big new artis.
And really im bored of only yew gate.
Wich expansion do you need for full version for DOHC?

G

That's the most bogus thing I have ever heard..... FEL needs a purpose!!!! HA! It has one ...... it's called PKing..... beyond that it's the only place to get Powerscrolls... if you go to Fel you go there for the purpose of either gathering scrolls /and or..... PKing.... PvP.... what more purpose does it need???? *laughs till she falls down*.... that's silly.... If it's empty that's because you either have to have the most uber gimplate and armour..... or you are running some 3rd party programs to gain unfair advantage..... and those who don't have either... don't go there anymore or have quit UO because the fel way of life WAS there only joy and no long is due to the gimplate and 3rd party program runners. What Fel needs is an end to both of those.... and a return to a more level playing field.

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

<blockquote><hr>

That's the most bogus thing I have ever heard..... FEL needs a purpose!!!! HA! It has one ...... it's called PKing..... beyond that it's the only place to get Powerscrolls... if you go to Fel you go there for the purpose of either gathering scrolls /and or..... PKing.... PvP.... what more purpose does it need???? *laughs till she falls down*

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.

<blockquote><hr>

What Fel needs is an end to both of those.... and a return to a more level playing field.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty level atm imo, more level than it's been any other time since AOS anyway.