• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Feeling a bit disappointed

G

Disclaimer: This is not whining. This is not flaming nor accusation. Im asking for reasons & feedback!

In two threads ( here and here ) i got the feeling a new auctionsite might be used.

Enthusiastic i did register a domain, got some software and tweaked and customized it.

Got a bit response while testing, and still was pretty convinced it might work out in the end.

So i started several auctions on different shards for cheap gold to get ppl recognizing the site.

And explained the the pros and features

New staff, new features, new start.

To my disappointment there are just a few ppl registered till now.
Hoped for at least those complaining about staff & rules to setup some auctions as well.

So, what did went wrong?
Whx dont YOU join?
Was i too impatient? Didnt i wait long enough?
Does the site look bad?
Is the assist-upload-feature to hard to understand?
Was i the staff of uoa2 in question who was the reason not to use it?
Are there generally to few UO-players around?

I really would like to see an active multishard-auction site up again.
Thought this straw would help ...

G

too many inconsistency's with your statements

are you affiliated with UOauctions?
were you affiliated with UOauctions?

people have had bad experiences with that site, and UO sites in general.

Its hard to trust anybody these days , and even harder with someone who has an unsubstantiated past.

If you haven't had an implied affiliation with UOauction maybe you would have had a better response. But I doubt that would have made a difference. from what I can tell people are getting tired of the buying selling game that is UO. They want more of a fighting, killing, crafting game.

Auction houses and rares collecting are for the rich and super rich.

K

kennykilleduo

UO account security s a huge factor , Would you risk many years of work , just in using a site , the <font color="red"> COULD </font> be a security risk?

Besides Team Dev UO needs to fix our over item based game first with some new goodie to trade...To many old goodies out in our world..

Y

Yewish News

Zofinur is completely trustworthy. He's been a broker for as long as I can remember and I've never heard a bad word said about the guy.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I'd like to know is how using an indepedant site, that does not ask for account information, jeprodize anybody's accounts - especially on some sites that were trusted and used for years.

G

<blockquote><hr>

What I'd like to know is how using an indepedant site, that does not ask for account information, jeprodize anybody's accounts - especially on some sites that were trusted and used for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because at any time if the people who run the site decide to screw people over they can just toss a keylogger up and everyone will trust that the site is fine and end up with it then all those trusting people will lose what they have earned over the years and some ****head will get rich from it...

Why don't I join? Because I like my account and wouldn't trust an auction site in any way shape or form.

On top of that my view is that auction sites are for people who scam cheat and hack to sell all the ill gotten goods they have for real cash. I really have no sudden urge to start supporting these types of people. Sure there are the legit people selling on the auction sites but just because I know there are people on auction sites selling dirty goods I refuse to even look at the places.

A

AdamD

Probably not enough people playing the game anymore to warrant even more trade or auction sites.
Take Tradespot for instance, a couple of years ago there were consistent numbers of posts made everyday on most shards, now there's but a trickle on most and hardly any on the others.
They used to have upwards of 100+ people on during peak periods, right now? It's 2.
I remember when I used to help moderate, my board was Baja, there used to be in excess of 50? or more posts per day on that board, and that was quiet compared to the others.
Today, there's 2 posts, yesterday there were 2, none on the 4th at all.

The fact UOAuction doesn't have much in the way of traffic, despite their long history, should've been a warning to yee, imo.
There just isn't the demand for trade/auction sites from what I can tell.

G

<blockquote><hr>

were you affiliated with UOauctions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes i was staff. Broker to be exact: Offered ppl a safe way to trade. Not a broker to enrich myself. Im kinda sure there are still players out there who remember this: Got some good reputation mainly on europa ... At least i think it.
But about 8 month ago i voluntarily left the site

<blockquote><hr>

Auction houses ... are for the rich and super rich.

[/ QUOTE ]
So u think 50K for a soulstone fragment token / heritage token or 100K for a rune beetle carapace or ring of the elements is for the rich?
The prices are made by the players. Regardless on which site.

Hmmm, seeing myself going into defence-mode again ... I might keep my mouth (erm fingers) for a while to see some more answers first

G

When I checked Cats didn't have anything for sale. Not sure I would have made a purchase but you can't buy what isn't available.

G

<blockquote><hr>

indepedant site, that does not ask for account information

[/ QUOTE ]
In fact on the registrationpage i even warn people not to use a password related to UO

G

Its not about trust.
I used to use ebay. The feedback system was great.
But the fact was it was ebay and that carried clout and novelty.

BUT...

Once they booted virtual stuff. ICQ tended to take over they way to do business. And that was for gold sales. More people just want gold to buy stuff in game.

Then gold became so cheap, you can just find it here on stratics for 1.50 a mill, gold was basically all that was auctioned.

If you noticed toward the end of ebay it was 90% gold sales anyway.
The actually auctioning of items seemed to disappear when gold was plentiful.

Now take into account that nothing gets stolen or breaks much in UO. There isnt a need always to auction stuff. Lots of people have it.

Now take event items. When I ebayed Id sell stuff for $2 to $50. Id buy stuff up to $25. Some of these event items (nowadays) go for $100's or $1000's (crazy). Im not going to trust anyone or any site to handle that (JMO). Plus I dont care about the event items. DUPING and All that.

Now thats for RL CASH for items.

Even if its a site auction with game gold as payment. The same principles are true. Plus this one. How would I manage 150 million check sale? Plus the factor nothing breaks, people really dont need to repleace items.

And finally, LUNA has made it easy run around and easily find everything in game. Pre Luna, it was a pain to shop for newest stuff.

There are 2 websites that acutally track luna vendors, I think that also kills auctions.

I wish I could find a reason to help you. I looked into auctions too when ebay quit us. I came up with the above as why not to do it.

Plus, people can be pains in the A. It only takes one person to screw someone over and trash talk. I didnt want that headache with a website I was really trying hard to create and have fun with.

G

Oh,
And your new.
A business really takes hard work and time to establish. Lets say all my above stuff is nada.

You might need 6 months to a year to really build a base for your auction site.

I

imported_Prince Erik

<blockquote><hr>

On top of that my view is that auction sites are for people who scam cheat and hack to sell all the ill gotten goods they have for real cash. I really have no sudden urge to start supporting these types of people. Sure there are the legit people selling on the auction sites but just because I know there are people on auction sites selling dirty goods I refuse to even look at the places.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

-P.E.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

-P.E.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can it be quoted for truth if its an opinion, and not a fact?

G

Websites just like malls in-game are not built overnight or even in mere weeks. A good mall takes months of advertising to become established and a dedicated staff. Make sure you have enough staff to moderate, keep it legit, run some contests or offer some free service to encourage people to use/visit and with patience it should pick up. You're being far too impatient/unrealistic on how long it can take to make a website get a foothold.

As for why I don't use it? I can sell stuff quicker on a vendor than the time it takes to post up an auction, arrange time to meet a buyer etc. Toss an item on a vendor and never have to really worry about it again.

Hang in there, be patient and hopefully with a lot of hard work it'll take off for you. Definitely won't be an overnight sensation with the limited community UO has.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Probably not enough people playing the game anymore to warrant even more trade or auction sites

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say this combined with the fact the majority of players remaining don't need to make gold anymore and so don't really feel like making the effort to list stuff and deal with it all.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Was i the staff of uoa2 in question who was the reason not to use it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haveing affiliation with that site adn their broker not sure if they have a new one yet but was a self admited well you know that story, the site uo2 you have made incistant statements and honestly I do not trust you enough to log into your site, due to your affiliations with uo2 and the name sure rings a bell as if you were the owner of uo2 but dont quote me. new name new look same bs is usually what happens, Until some positive feedback actually alot about teh site comes to light frmo others how frequent here and other sites say that all has changed them maybe i woudl look at the site

As far as auctions the player base has changed significantly and do not want to wait for an auction to end they want to buy something now find it now and buy it not hope to save a couple hundred k most are willing to pay the extra for the convience of getting what they seek now instead a few days later

G

It looks to me like 50,000 is the minimum bid for anything on the site. If you find someone willing to pay 50k each for all those holiday trees let me know, I have boxes full of trees, wreaths and snowmen.

G

giving you the benefit of the doubt, I have registered and made a bid.

when I get some time later I will sell some stuff, I will try to get the ball rolling.

G

<font color=red>Personal as a player</font color=red>

I *never* ... repeat ... NEVER ... have or will use an online auction site. I never used eBay. regardless of the good intentions behind these sites I prefer to deal ingame with the auctioneers at the houses.

Nothing but the best of wishes for online sites like this, but my personal choice is to not use them. I don't even buy gold online - I work for every piece.

G

I'll register, I just don't have much to sell at the moment, been doing too much messing about with fun stuff that wasn't profitable.

G

Well,

I have myself used both versions of uo auction since the launch.

If I ,that have traded ALOT on uo auction didnt see you new auction site until just 2 days ago,then you really just need some more patience.

I will ofcourse register but its abit messy at work now so it will take some time.

And for all in doubts,I have traded many times with Zofinur and he is well known for his trustworthyness on shard of the braves.

Regards
The Scandinavian

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

Oh,
And your new.
A business really takes hard work and time to establish. Lets say all my above stuff is nada.

You might need 6 months to a year to really build a base for your auction site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with this statement. For the community boards I help run, it took me hundreds of hours of my time over many months to get people using the site again and get traffic going. With a smaller subscriber base in UO, you really need to put a great deal of invested time to get a site established and active, and even more time to maintain it.

Aside from that, giving my honest opinions as to why I would personally be hesitant to use it regularly...

You need to customize your theme and make it look fancy, add some graphics and a background, right now it's far too plain looking, and people won't find it appeasing to use (this does matter alot oddly enough).

Next, find UO fansites and post your site there, have in game events that your site runs, offer some brokering and a unique service for the community, something easy that will give people a reason to use your site over all others.

Right now most people would say... "why would I use this site over any other auction site?". That's something you need to give a clear answer to.

The more people that use word of mouth to promote your site, the more you establish a good reputation, and the more your base will grow, and any fears of hacked accounts or being a virus site will be alleviated.

I

imported_Anakena

I saw your earlier post and did not register yet, mainly because I am not looking for something right now.

Also i bet it is a tedious work to build such a site : you need people to make auctions, but to attract those you need enough buyers who will only come if there is enough stuff for sale......

Just give it some time is my best advice.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was players are cautious , many may not know him. I know of the sites but didnt know was related to him..Sorry if came off as calling him out..

I

imported_Spiritless

<blockquote><hr>

Because at any time if the people who run the site decide to screw people over they can just toss a keylogger up and everyone will trust that the site is fine and end up with it then all those trusting people will lose what they have earned over the years and some ****head will get rich from it...

Why don't I join? Because I like my account and wouldn't trust an auction site in any way shape or form.

[/ QUOTE ]
Frankly, your views are out of line with facts and, advertently or inadvertently, spreading unwarranted FUD among the playerbase in regards to issues you're obviously not fully enlightened, and ignorant, about.

For one thing, you can't just "toss a keylogger up" and take everyone's details. That would involve downloading something from the site for a start. Auctions do not require users to download anything by nature. Any site requesting people download things, whether you trust the site or not, should be questioned.

Secondly, there are many tech-savvy UO users around. If a site was attempting to distribute malware it'd be all over Stratics in an instant; especially an auction site. I don't really think it'd be a profitable venture for anyone. It'd just wreck people's reputations instantly to the point which cannot be recovered.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
This part of your post hopefully highlights to others here just how little weight they should give your comments generally.

You're basically saying that anyone selling items "scam, cheat and hack" which is laughable, to be honest. While this may be true for some people selling things, this is applicable everywhere. This is not exclusive to auction sites; it is also a possibility in-game too during any trade. Ever bought resources from an in-game vendor? A script may have collected them. Bought wearables or veteran rewards? They may have been duped.

You should really do a little thinking before throwing around nonchalant, inacurate comments which may influence others away from legitimate avenues of trading unnecessarily.