• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Favorite Dog Breed?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
My wife and I are thinking about getting a second dog. Our current dog is a shepherd/hound/? mix that we adopted from a nearby no-kill shelter. He's been great! Based on his interaction with other dogs during our pet sitting jaunts, I think that he would enjoy a companion.

We want a dog that's smart enough to be obedient, but not one that becomes destructive when bored. Also, we prefer a medium-energy dog, who is happy with about 45 mins - 1 hour of exercise each day.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Bonus: picture of Argo.

S

Sweety

I recommend a German Shepard. There so sweet. Half or full breed. My dog's half G.Shepard / half stupid. She has her bad dog moments(eats out of trash :cursing:). That's probably more our fault. For the most part though shes a sweetheart. Very friendly with people and other animals.

If you don't want a high energy dog do not get a Australian Shepard. Those things are insane. They can play for like 5 hours straight and still want more. Ugh....

Also I have found that female and male dogs get along better then female+female, male+male. Though it sometimes just depends on how protective a dog is of its territory.

This is our butthead:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
If you don't want a high energy dog do not get a Australian Shepard. Those things are insane. They can play for like 5 hours straight and still want more. Ugh....

Also I have found that female and male dogs get along better then female+female, male+male. Though it sometimes just depends on how protective a dog is of its territory.
That is excellent advice. In fact, Australian Shepard was one of the breeds that we were considering. We will be getting a female do, so hopefully she'll mesh well with our male dog.

Your dog looks awesome! Maybe another GSD mix is the way to go. They're great dogs.

Z

Zin

My family has had really good luck with Shelties. They are prone to some unwanted behaviors with barking and what not... But it's pretty easy to train it out of them. Only real pancake is the shedding.

As for the Australian Shepard... No... If you only have an hour to spend with them... Don't do it. If you get one you have to have one of two things... Another one with that high of an energy level, and yes... Preferably the opposite sex.... Or children old enough to wear the dog out. Sweety wasn't joking about the 5 hours go time. And there is very few dogs worse than a Aussie Shepard that's bored. They have to WORK to be happy. Their only goal in life is to make the alpha happy. And that will require YOU to WORK at it if you don't have another one, or children to do it for you. Way too high strung... Way too damn smart.

With that said... If you have the time... There is no better dog to have IMNSHO.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
My family had a couple of Shelties while I was growing up. I like them, but seem to remember both of them being highly allergic to flees: they'd get sores, their skin would peel, and they would stink. We tried dipping them, flee meds, collars, flee traps, but never had much luck stemming the problem.

Where we just unlucky? Do your Shelties stink or have skin issues?

Z

Zin

My family had a couple of Shelties while I was growing up. I like them, but seem to remember both of them being highly allergic to flees: they'd get sores, their skin would peel, and they would stink. We tried dipping them, flee meds, collars, flee traps, but never had much luck stemming the problem.

Where we just unlucky? Do your Shelties stink or have skin issues?
No... Not at all. The only real problem I ever saw growing up both with family dogs and dogs of friends were boxers. Stupid damn dogs to begin with, but then they have the worst gas problems known to the animal world. Friendly and lovable dogs... But man they had some serious stomach problems.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ha! Fortunately, neither of us can stand boxers. Hmm...sheltie might be nice.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
lol, awesome. Very adorable...as long as it only happens when I'm awake. :lol:

I

Ilysess

crop and resize are your friends

And there is very few dogs worse than a Aussie Shepard that's bored. They have to WORK to be happy. Their only goal in life is to make the alpha happy. And that will require YOU to WORK at it if you don't have another one, or children to do it for you. Way too high strung... Way too damn smart.
As amazing as it is, I actually own something worse than an Australian Shepherd!

And if thats not bad enough I have not one but TWO of the maniacs!

Meet Lady and Marley:

Dont let them fool you, they were very cute and cuddly at 12 weeks...

Now at 2 years they are insane :p These darlings are what you call Louisiana Catahoula Leopards (ours are a blue leopard and a tweed)

We recently decided to try and tone them down abit with this gimp:

I dont think enough can be said for the effects of a big dumb lab :p lol

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I always eat standing in water, too. :lol:

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't worry to much about the breed of a dog, I would worry more about how they both will interact living together 24/7. Dogs are the same as people some like each other, and some don't. Best thing to do is go back up to the shelter let them know you are looking for another dog, but you want to make sure that this new dog will get along, and interact with the dog you have now.
They will help you to find a another suitable dog for your family.
I know nothing was posted about children but I was post this link anyways
Children and Dog Safety : It's Me or the Dog : Animal Planet