• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fat Lip's Carpentry Skill Gain Guide: 30.0-GM in 16 Hours

F

Fat Lip

Fat Lip's Carpentry Skill Gain Guide: 30.0-GM in 16 Hours

["Nice to Know" Information]
Days to Go from 30.0-100.0: 2 Days
Total Hours Spent Training: 16 Hours
Estimated Hours Per Day Training: ~8 Hours per day
Gold spent on Carpentry Tools (Nails) & Disposable Bags: 1,838 Gold
Boards Used: 52,382 Boards

This guide takes you from ~30.0 Carpentry to GM. I started somewhere around 28.0 from skill bought from an NPC carpenter, but I forgot to keep track of what I was doing before I hit 30.0, so the guide starts from there. I bought 120,000 boards from a player vendor for fairly cheap and thought it might help if I included my findings as a guide. So if you can handle two 8-hour shifts of mindlessly clicking - this guide is for you! Let's get started.

I did this at Luna Bank because everything such as the provisioner (for bags), the carpenter (for carpentry tools), a trash bin, and my bank box was conveniently located very close together. First off, get yourself a lot of boards & put them into your bank box (60,000 boards will do nicely). Next, by several bags from the provisioner (I bought about 16 at a time); organize them as you see fit. Then get 20 or so Nails from the carpenter. Stand next to the trash can and open it, then open your bank box. Place the boards into an open container in your backpack, then start making the item that is suited to your skill level (guide listed below). Once the boards in your backpack are depleted, or your backpack cannot hold anymore items, remove the remaining boards from the bag making sure to restack them with the main pile in your bank box, then drop the bag with all the items into the trash bin. Rinse and repeat until you're finished.

The following is the guide to follow for training your Carpentry skill. Simply make the item next to the skill value that matches your current skill:

[Skill] [Item to Make]
0.0-30.0: By from NPC Carpenter
30.0-45.0: Wooden Box
45.0-48.0: Vesper Style Chair
48.0-65.0: Ballot Box
65.0-72.0: Fukiya
72.0-79.0: Bokuto
79.0-95.0: Sheppard Crook or Gnarled Staff
95.0-100.0: Tetsubo

dlwiii

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey I just GM'd carpentry yesterday, doing pretty much what you did.

However, I keep a 7th character slot open for a "dummy" character that I delete and re-create with 50 skill as needed. Then I use soul stones to get those 50 points to a "real" character. So I started at 50 Carpentry.

Rather than trashing items, I sold them. I did almost all of my training at Zento, running between my bank box which has 57,000 boards, and the various vendors nearby. Here is roughly what I did:

(all skills are approximate - I did not always move on at the optimal time)

52-63 Ballot boxes - sell to Provisioner
63-77 Fukiya- sell to Bowyer
77-84 Bokuto - sell to Bowyer
84-99 Gnarled Staff - sell to Weaponsmith and/or Blacksmith
99-GM Tetsubo - sell to Weaponsmith and/or Blacksmith

I probably could have switched to Tetsubo sooner.

I find that selling items is faster than dragging them, one at a time, to a bag or trash barrel. Certainly making the items in a bag and trashing it easy as well. But then you need to get/make a few 100 bags and don't make money off the training.

I had about 8000 boards left, so used about 51,000 total. Fortunately a guildmate had just GM'd lumberjacking and gave me 60,000!

F

Fat Lip

I find that selling items is faster than dragging them, one at a time, to a bag or trash barrel.
If you put the stack of boards into a bag first, then start crafting, the items made will be in that same bag. When your bag is full or you're too heavy, simply remove what boards remain, and drop that whole bag into the trash - as explained in the guide.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Perhaps better in the long run, instead of selling Gnarled Staves, with the coming changes to the method for donating to the library (allowing donations of bags of items)

- doing Shepherd's crooks and donating to the library Animal Trainer will work better (especially in working toward one of the talismans - perhaps the Minstrel one to reduce your real skill needed for music instrument crafting, or the Alchemy one, if your carpenter has that skill).

- IIRC, the bokutos are also donatable (to the samurai), though most people donating to that library collection will probably doing it for the glasses.