• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fame Gain

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Hi. It's been awhile since I played and did serious P v M. Um, I've been killing Troglodytes for last couple of days and I don't get message I'm gaining fame any more. I think I'm at 6056. I know I have to get to 10k to be a lord.

My question is this? Is the amount of fame given by killing a certain type of mob the same, for example 100 per Or is it a percent of what you already have? Because it seems the higher I go, the less amount I receive per trog.

Thanks

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The closer you get to the fame level of a creature, the less you get from it.

For example, on Ice Fiends,as you approach 10,000, the fame per drops from over 100, to between 60 & 70. When you get close to its level (something like 14,000 If I remember correctly), you can get down to single digits.

The foolproof way of gaining fame was, in the past, BODs. You could turn in a BOD and get (BOD point value/50)^2 fame (so a 250 point BOD would give 25 fame, 500 points = 100 fame, etc.), that was always full value. However, I think you only get the fame now if you turn in immediately for the reward, and I'm not sure if you get the fame for the reward chosen's value or the actual BOD points. That's something I'm going to have to test.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Kill demons for relatively easy 10K+ fame.
Your answer is so pre-LBR.

The trogs have far more fame than demons, and fame game is based on the difference between your fame and the mob's.

Even Ice Fiends in Ice are better than Demons (14k fame compared to 12k) .

Heck, even GOBLINS (especially at the mini-spawns in the Abyss) are faster than Demons, and much less effort (10k for the normal grays and greens, with the scouts, keepers, mages and alchemists being in the demon to Ice Fiend range - and you're killing them by the bunches).

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
Your answer is so pre-LBR.

The trogs have far more fame than demons, and fame game is based on the difference between your fame and the mob's.

Even Ice Fiends in Ice are better than Demons (14k fame compared to 12k) .

Heck, even GOBLINS (especially at the mini-spawns in the Abyss) are faster than Demons, and much less effort (10k for the normal grays and greens, with the scouts, keepers, mages and alchemists being in the demon to Ice Fiend range - and you're killing them by the bunches).

I've seen many long-time players also go to Fire Temple and slay demons there to get their Lord title, so I'm not sure it's as outdated as you suggest. There's a very fast spawn cycle there so with the right tools you can mow through many, unless you're undergeared or underskilled. According uoGuide, troglodytes don't have as much fame as demons.

Alkaseltzer

Journeyman
Wow, I got a lot more replies than I expected. Thanks guys for the input. I figured gaining fame was not a straightforward thing. Back when I used to play years back, I just went to Ogre Lord Island in Despise, but they mucked that all up. And I'm too afraid to go to Fel because I'm terrible at PvP. I don't know if my bard skills are good enough yet to use on Ogre Lords or Demons yet anyhow. Maybe I'll try that BOD turn in.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Odd - I've always been told they had more, but they have 11,000 (still enough for lord, though, even in Trammel). Then again, some of the people telling me that over the years think Lurg is a quick kill. But, they spawn in large numbers and respawn at least as fast as those daemons, if you ever tried to help someone down there recover their belongings after they die in the painted caves. Quantity has a quality all its own, with such a relatively small gap between daemon and trog fame.

I've hunted that daemon temple for 15 years, and the one thing I wouldn't call that mob would be "fast"; one daemon over and over isn't all that fast, other than the timer; if I wanted that I could go to the 3 or so daemons that spawn in the pass north of the AW between Ilshenar Compassion and Chaos (when I did used to farm daemons for fame, that's where I went, not Fire Island), and the Ice Fiend spawn in Ice is better (and can run up and down the stairs between the two spawns for constant fights to get around the respawn timer on just one of them). Of course, that's for a character not limited to Fel - as you can mark and recall into Trammel Ice 2nd level, whereas you have to walk there from the entrance in Fel, dodging possible PKs looking for people using Ice to access T2A, and of course that level only having 1 entrance/exit causing a bottleneck if a PK shows up.