• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faking water and grass in a castle?

Old Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy all!

I'm coming to you all for some cool ideas. I want to decorate the roof of my castle in a rubble/rares garden. As part of it, I'd like to make a little pool of water with a rubble bridge, and the rest I'm going to have grassed with plants.

What I need is some ideas for faking water/grass. The only thing I've thought of so far was a combo of 3 types of cloth (the two reward cloths that fill the top and bottom halves of the tile, and the cut one that fills the whole tile). I thought about doing goza, but I thought those would look too tiley. Is there anything else that works well?

F

feath

here is my roof. an idea I had and didn't use, (besides your cloth for water) was using valorite ore along the edges to mimic bubbly/moving water. I did use copper ore to give a muddy look. i found old plant water plants to make excellent 'grass'.

Attachments

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Waterplants make good grass in my experience. Nice looking water is a big harder, people usually use a double stack of cut cloth, I've used blue fishnets before (ok but not great). I've also seen large val ore for water many a time. A pricey but smooth solution might be the center section of valorite stone tables, since that would merge with other center sections and not give an edge. Would be tough to work with and mistakes would be very costly.

W

Wilde1

you could try breaking val tables and using the middle chunk, then lowering it all the way to the ground... like poster above said its expensive but would give a bit different look than cloth or val ore

Old Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the ideas all. :)

I'd like to try the valorite option, but unfortunately my shards tiny economy doesn't really offer any vaolorite tables, let alone as many as I would need. I will keep it in mind for the future though, it's a good thought.

I think for the time being cut cloth with ore and some clever placing is going to have to be my method. I can live with that, I was just hoping to get a bit more realism. :D

As for the grass, maybe I'll try combinding cut cloth and plants and see how that works out. :)

Again, thanks for the ideas everyone. :)

N

Ni-

For grass, you could use a bunch of dark green or light green champion flowers or poppies, they cover the whole tile. Heck, dark blue champion flowers/poppies could give a deep rippled water look. Lighter pieces of cloth or yard or valorite ore could make it look like shallower rocks or waves in the water. Then some rubble or rare rocks could be placed on top to give the look of rocks protruding from the water.

Goza mats can be used as bases for each tile, then things placed on top for the texture. The Goza mats will insure that you see no grey castle stone beneath anything, and they don't cost lock downs. And they can be raised or lowered to cause a terrain level change, though that would allow grey castle stones to be visible, unless additional gozas are use beneath the top terrain level.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Old Wolf, if you're the one from Lake Austin, check with Cinder Stonewal/Wild Bill/Mad Max. He's doing an obscene amount of contract mining from several crafters, and could probably get a decent amount of val stone for tables if you wanted to try it.

Old Wolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am indeed that Old Wolf. ;) Thanks for the suggestion, I'll catch him next time I see him on ICQ or the alliance.

Ni- I like those ideas, I'll try doing some experimenting with them and see how it turns out. Thanks! :)

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cut cloth isn't bad IMO. If you have a landscape rubble collection you can make some nicely varied edges as well. For those that don't have rubble, the granite makes a decent if rather unvaried border. You can make the border more natural and interesting by interspersing various plants around the edges. Here is the wing of a tower I did a while back. I more recently decorated the top of a castle with a pond and garden (no pics). I used LOTS of layered plants. I also sometimes use brownish dyed cloth underneath to completely hide the castle/keep/tower gray stone floor.

I also like the cloth & granite ponds because they do not limit movement.

-Skylark

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think I've ever seen it done better than the most recent pictures on the castle sticky by Faith UOCD