• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fair Warning.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With people being asked to put their email into a statue for the "clops house give away" it has occurred to me how wrong this is.

This is literally putting your account at risk by doing so. It is very easy to accidentally put this info into chat instead of on the statue.

Literally no online business of any sort would ever put your account information at risk like this. It is online business 101.

Please make sure you do not put your email in chat for everyone to see as i have seen 4 people already do this.

Last edited:

VinnySP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That and like putting your phone number on some website and all of the sudden, your a popular person with your phone ringing off the hook lol but yes, please be safe and pay attention peeps...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OT

I accidentally typed my password in chat a while back when I was trying to multi client to exchange items from one acc to another

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OT

I accidentally typed my password in chat a while back when I was trying to multi client to exchange items from one acc to another
Ive been there, it really sux when its gen chat and your on a toon everyone knows. Nothing like changing 12 pws with our fantastic account mngment site.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ive been there, it really sux when its gen chat and your on a toon everyone knows. Nothing like changing 12 pws with our fantastic account mngment site.
I've done something even worse... I was simultaneously logging into my main UO account while talking to someone known to have hacked accounts before on icq to give them an item they won at an auction. The screen switched without me realizing... typed my password into icq by mistake. Very obvious looking password with all the numbers instead of letters etc. Whoops....

Needless to say, that is no longer my main account, I changed the passwords, and I switched everything off that account within an hour and don't keep anything of value on that one anymore.

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Scribbles... the same thought had occurred to me
I checked what I typed before I hit enter

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I'm sure there's not 100 hidden chars there waiting all day for someone to screw up, it's still good advice to pay attention when you're entering your id. :)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With people being asked to put their email into a statue for the "clops house give away" it has occurred to me how wrong this is.

This is literally putting your account at risk by doing so. It is very easy to accidentally put this info into chat instead of on the statue.

Literally no online business of any sort would ever put your account information at risk like this. It is online business 101.

Please make sure you do not put your email in chat for everyone to see as i have seen 4 people already do this.
I was a little concerned by that as well, but you'll notice that after clicking the statue, your text is yellow in color, so it's not text that will make it into the open air. I still don't like this method and feel I have no chance at all of winning.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Didn't you less than a month ago say goodbye and quit? That didn't last long...

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not a security issue, but I've Skyped/sexted a co-worker a really dirty line because I have my personal laptop and work computer next to each other and thought I was typing on my personal keyboard in a Facebook message to my girlfriend.
ROFL, You need to learn to multitask better!!! J/K Hey, at least it wasn't your boss.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I felt a little odd myself typing into "the air" instead of a pop-up box. I clicked it a few times waiting for a gump.