• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faction Names Are Completely New

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The names of the 3 new factions have been revealed in the last patch client text strings.

Crusaders of Virtue
Free Tradesmen
Guardian's Legion

Phoenix_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crusaders of Virtue
Free Tradesmen
Guardian's Legion
These names are not final. The new cliloc strings are placeholders we have put in for purposes of testing changes to the Factions system on Test Center. We expect to change them before any of the faction changes actually go live. They do, however, show some of our line of thinking.

There are also some new (also placeholder!) signup stone introductory blurbs in the patch cliloc as well.

While we are committed at this point to going to three factions, the details of how this will work out in lore and the characteristics of the three final factions are still in the air.

A

A Rev

Well im glad i recently x-fered my faction mage to origin!

these new changes should be an interesting test.

Definate Guardsman legion here

Screw them damn traders :p

[That name has to change btw, its so un combat orientated]

watchertoo

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These names are not final. The new cliloc strings are placeholders we have put in for purposes of testing changes to the Factions system on Test Center. We expect to change them before any of the faction changes actually go live. They do, however, show some of our line of thinking.

There are also some new (also placeholder!) signup stone introductory blurbs in the patch cliloc as well.

While we are committed at this point to going to three factions, the details of how this will work out in lore and the characteristics of the three final factions are still in the air.
Thank you for the explanation. I make this post as a player under the name of my first UO character. Please, in your need to fix and revamp, don't throw out the very thing that makes UO not just another MMORPG... that is the history and the lore. There is a reason for the factions and I can understand the thinking that 4 factions may be too many, though I do not agree. I hope everyone involved has read the lore behind Ultima Online including the days of Ultima.

The Shadowlords were introduced in Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny, Minax is the reason the "stranger" destroyed the Gem of Immortality creating all the shards. Each faction has a reason for existing, each has a large piece of lore that goes with it. You have people that have been loyal to their faction since factions began and if you do act in haste to make sweeping changes, you are punishing some of your most loyal players. Don't listen only to the "squeeky wheel" and forget to provide consideration to those that have played UO for all these years.

I believe Factions can be fixed without throwing it all out and starting over but if not then at least give us good, solid, plausible lore/story line as to why the changes happen. Don't make us just another MMORPG catering to the loudest voices. Did you know UO holds 8 Guinness World Records? "First MMORPG to reach 100,000 players" and "Longest Running MMORPG" for a couple. UO is different than the rest of the MMORPGs out there and that is why it has been around so long. It is a world unlike any other and fixes or changes cannot be applied to this game in the same way it is applied to other MMORPGs without "cheapening" our world.

Watcher ... playing UO since November 1999 for the history, the tradition and the endless possibilities.

A

A Rev

I feel an event coming along to explain the lore behind the new factions and how they tie into the realm??

Yes, No??

Rather than using old lore...could we not make it our own??

Could we not have EM run events to decide the alliegance of factions and there allignment??

We could write our own history unique to each shard!

G

Gowron

Well im glad i recently x-fered my faction mage to origin!

these new changes should be an interesting test.

Definate Guardsman legion here

Screw them damn traders :p

[That name has to change btw, its so un combat orientated]
The Free Tradesmen has a bit of appeal to me as I see it now as a "front" for various smuggler, pirates, crime syndicates, etc.

One of the things that irks me about "Factions" is that apart from the faction title, they are essentially the same.

I'm not so big into factions that I have a solid opinion on faction arties. However, each Faction should be unique. If we're to keep faction arties, make them so only certain arties apply to that faction. Also, I think that templates ought to be taken into consideration. I'll need to read more about the direction to continue this line of thinking.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Free Tradesmen has a bit of appeal to me as I see it now as a "front" for various smuggler, pirates, crime syndicates, etc

The word Rogue pops into my head for some reason.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't like the line of thinking then that these names represent. They are descriptions, not names. The number of factions and lore should remain the same in my opinion. Why go through all the work of changing it, just add to what exists. That is what a MMO is all about.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel an event coming along to explain the lore behind the new factions and how they tie into the realm??

Yes, No??

Rather than using old lore...could we not make it our own??

Could we not have EM run events to decide the alliegance of factions and there allignment??

We could write our own history unique to each shard!
NO WAY!!!!!!

I'm so sick of everyone handing off stuff to the EMs. It's baloney.

For one thing, they schedule stuff at the oddest hours, basically at their convenience or to cater to lord knows which crowd on the shard.

Secondly, the shards with the smallest populations always end up getting screwed and having no event at all. Just look at how well the three non-Japanese Asian shards (Arirang, Balhae, Formosa) fared last summer with faction-related events: Clainin is still laying on a bed in Haven. Below are screen shots I just took five minutes ago as proof.

Third, some of the EMs seem incapable of handling the crowds that show up at events and just leave the event when stuff gets too out of control. We definitely don't need that to happen for something as important as changes to the faction system.

Fourth, since the EMs seem to lack the ability to squelch the crowds, how fair is for anyone who plays on a crowd populated with jerks and jack asses to go to an event like this and have to put up with the spam and other garbage some people seem to spew nonstop at EM events?

In addition, another thing we really don't need is a bunch of people who only care about getting some stupid "rare" item jumping into factions just because they think they'll get something from the EMs that they can then turn around and sell.

If EA hands off the responsibility for kicking off faction changes to the EMs, I will seriously consider shutting off EVERY ONE of my accounts. EA needs to do this in a uniform way on EVERY SHARD and at the same time. We really do not need any more of the inconsistencies that are being perpetuated by throwing so much of the event responsibility on a bunch of players, many of whom I doubt have any clue what factions is about.

I hope that if anyone at EA really gives a damn about factions and hopes it breathes some new life into the game, they will keep the damn EM program far, far away from it.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm glad they aren't final. I think appropriate factions and names which could be used are:
1. Order
2. Chaos
3. Faction Artifact Retainers of Trammel

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both nice post on factions Tinkz and Tina..........I truly hope the dev listen to the rational arguement as yours on the choice of how to implement these changes.

At least we know they are reading these forums and I do feel a bit of hope that the dev will listen and do the right thing for these changes.

S

Stupid Miner

The new cliloc strings are placeholders we have put in for purposes of testing changes to the Factions system on Test Center. We expect to change them before any of the faction changes actually go live. They do, however, show some of our line of thinking.
I don't like the line of thinking then that these names represent. They are descriptions, not names.
So, you're saying that the placeholder names are merely descriptions instead of final names?

... whodathunk?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He said that is the type of name they are shooting for. I am saying I don't like that naming scheme.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fourth, since the EMs seem to lack the ability to squelch the crowds, how fair is for anyone who plays on a crowd populated with jerks and jack asses to go to an event like this and have to put up with the spam and other garbage some people seem to spew nonstop at EM events?
Actually I think EMs will be the fourth faction, hued yellow invul to everyone else, if you step out of line at an event you will be insta FS deathed by a super scrapper of jackass slaying and remain in stat until the end of said event.

Oh and I like the positive and negative names, it shows that one age has ended and with the introduction of the guardian we are moving forward to something new. There was a LOT of fiction and sleuthing to puzzle through before the guardian revealed himself though. So just how big a hurry are we in?

Free traders does show a no affiliation with the polar extremes that I like, but , well, i dunno, it needs more zip somehow.

C

Cloak&Dagger

So, you're saying that the placeholder names are merely descriptions instead of final names?

... whodathunk?
Better yet, are not 3 of the 4 current Faction "names" just descriptions? Aside from "Minax" they all "describe" what the faction stands for, not really names. Aside from that, are not all names simply descriptions?

CoM seems to resemble the third name listed, also "true brits" is resembled in the first name. Honestly did we think about the current names when saying the new ones are not names? *obviously this sentence is not to you Miner, and I feel the need to point this out because recently had more than one person address me on parts of my reply that were not meant for them :p*

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*obviously this sentence is not to you Miner, and I feel the need to point this out because recently had more than one person address me on parts of my reply that were not meant for them *
Can't imagine where they would get the idea after quoting them...why not quote the person you intend to address?

C

Cloak&Dagger

Can't imagine where they would get the idea after quoting them...why not quote the person you intend to address?
Because my first address was to them? Or did you miss that part? And my second was not to anyone directly, (see how I quoted you, and answered you? Now I will go on, in a new separate sentence to state something, related but not to you)

And thus we learn how the first set of side notations made it into the first post, as suggested by the set of side notations in this post. Thank those who allowed for this demonstration.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Look dude. I don't know how to say this nicely so I'm just gonna let it rip.

Those names are stupid. Who ever thought them up should quit so someone with a little more creativity can step up.

plz dont **** our **** up anymore. Just revert factions back the old broken system from a couple years ago.. and u can continue on ****ing everyone else in the game. We (faction community) learned our lesson. Ya'll suck and can only **** us over more by trying to fix ****. So plz.... pass that word along for me... to who ever matters..

Thanks!

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because my first address was to them? Or did you miss that part? And my second was not to anyone directly, (see how I quoted you, and answered you? Now I will go on, in a new separate sentence to state something, related but not to you)
So you were addressing several people with one quote in seperate paragraphs and you were wondering why more than one person was answering parts of your response?

If seperating paragraphs were so obvious as to who it was directed at, you wouldn't have felt the need to point it out. Since no one replies in seperate paragraphs to one person or anything.......

*obviously this sentence is not to you Miner, and I feel the need to point this out because recently had more than one person address me on parts of my reply that were not meant for them *