• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faction guards need updating

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faction guards became a bit broken some time ago. They don't cure poison like they used to, so if you poison one it will just stand there trying to heal itself over and over. Here are some changes I would like to see.

1) Fix it so guards can cure again
2) Change it so guards will target a random player, even if the target is not the closest. As it stands most of the time guards will target a single player and instant kill them.
3) When line of sight is broken for 5 seconds, guards will seek out a new target or return to their previous activity (patrolling)
4) Make it so Wither does not work in town. This spell can be used to kill an infinite number of guards in seconds. No other area spell works in town, why does Wither?

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faction guards became a bit broken some time ago. They don't cure poison like they used to, so if you poison one it will just stand there trying to heal itself over and over. Here are some changes I would like to see.

1) Fix it so guards can cure again
2) Change it so guards will target a random player, even if the target is not the closest. As it stands most of the time guards will target a single player and instant kill them.
3) When line of sight is broken for 5 seconds, guards will seek out a new target or return to their previous activity (patrolling)
4) Make it so Wither does not work in town. This spell can be used to kill an infinite number of guards in seconds. No other area spell works in town, why does Wither?
I don't think wither is over powered so I'd have to disagree that it shouldn't work in towns. To wither the guards you have to be standing next to them and the guards do quite a bit of dmg.

What does have to be fixed is guards drop their weapons when they go to cast a spell. Their weapons are not spell channeling. The guards haven't been updated since AOS came in. So, yall might want to look at that.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think wither is over powered so I'd have to disagree that it shouldn't work in towns. To wither the guards you have to be standing next to them and the guards do quite a bit of dmg.
If you get the guards targeted on someone else the necromancer won't be in any danger.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be nice if non-factioners could not kill guards.

Yeah Mag is a realy **** show right now. If that island had no rubble it would be such a good place to fight. There would seriously be some great fights there.

SupSoc

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wither is not over powered? Are you kidding?

Its the only spell you need for choke point fighting. Takes little mana and can cast extremly fast that has a large tile radius.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are making the false assumption that the sherriff is with the guards 24/7.
What makes you think I assumed that? 9 out 10 times in factions when guards are used (actually in action) guards are placed and the sheriff stays there with the guards. I know you want an 'easy button' by setting up a bunch of guards that are hard as **** to kill to make up for your lack of skill but the bottom line is guards are dumb (low AI) and thats how it should be. They are good enough to provide an small advantage but when people know how to beat them they are nullified. If they were harder or smarter they would be overpowered. You wouldn't know this because you haven't done much factioning so I wont get on your cast but that is how it is.

C

Crystilastamous

You are making the false assumption that the sherriff is with the guards 24/7.
If he's doing his job he is. Sheriff has to defend the City JC, factions are about capturing, defending, and holding cities.

Generally, the Sheriff position, is assigned to someone who is in it for the long haul... you know like you? The guy with the 24 pack of Mountain Dew, and ever lasting supply of frozen pizza?

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If he's doing his job he is. Sheriff has to defend the City JC, factions are about capturing, defending, and holding cities.

Generally, the Sheriff position, is assigned to someone who is in it for the long haul... you know like you? The guy with the 24 pack of Mountain Dew, and ever lasting supply of frozen pizza?
You expect the Sheriff to sit around in the city all day managing guards? That is a completely unrealistic expectation. A good number of faction guards should be extremely difficult to kill with only 2 players. But right now it is a piece of cake using the right tactic. If guards retargeted when line of sight was broken they would be a lot more intelligent.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You expect the Sheriff to sit around in the city all day managing guards? That is a completely unrealistic expectation. A good number of faction guards should be extremely difficult to kill with only 2 players. But right now it is a piece of cake using the right tactic. If guards retargeted when line of sight was broken they would be a lot more intelligent.
No, I don't expect the sheriff to sit around all day. and Yes, that would be an unrealistic expectation.... for anyone who would think that... If the sheriff is on, then the guards can be much more effective. When the sheriff is not on than the guards will be a lot less effective. This is pvp, we already have to deal with the over powered tamers, we want as little pvm messing our pvp up as possible. Or most pvpers do at least. And don't forget the CL can appoint a new sheriff at any time and this will allow more people to have office positions.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am surprised that no one has caught this. After doing 180 damage Flamestrikes to guards we realized that they have 0 in all resistances. Obviously an oversight when they implemented Age of Shadows. Resistances should probably be scaled on the guard level. So level 1 guards get 30, level 2 get 40, level 3 get 50 and level 4 get 60 in all resistances.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am surprised that no one has caught this. After doing 180 damage Flamestrikes to guards we realized that they have 0 in all resistances. Obviously an oversight when they implemented Age of Shadows. Resistances should probably be scaled on the guard level. So level 1 guards get 30, level 2 get 40, level 3 get 50 and level 4 get 60 in all resistances.
Who missed it? Guards are over powered offensively so they should weak defensively.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you played factions back in 2000 you would know that guards were a lot tougher back then. Guards are complete pushovers now and only kill players who don't know how to deal with them. Killing them with two flamestrikes is not worth their cost.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you played factions back in 2000 you would know that guards were a lot tougher back then. Guards are complete pushovers now and only kill players who don't know how to deal with them. Killing them with two flamestrikes is not worth their cost.
I played from day 1 of factions to current. They were a lot harder for a lot of reasons. Now they don't have to be as hard because there are way to many gimp templates. (Tamers, archers, n such.)