Faction Crafting Testing

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
J

Jeremy

If y'all are playing around with faction crafting on TC1, please take a look at this doc - if you see something on it that doesn't match what you're seeing on TC, post it and I'll figure out if it's the doc or the game that's wrong :) Thanks!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Jeremy, I'll try to give it a shot tonight. Will have to run around and try to figure out who is controlling the various towns and then join the appropriate faction before proceeding to test the actual crafting.

Is the option to add factional properties supposed to show up whether you use a regular tool or a runic tool or an ASH?

Also, how long will this remain on test before it goes into production? If it's just for a few days, it may not be possible to test some things like making sure you can't equip more faction-blessed items than allowed for your rank/office and losing the blessing after three weeks.

Should we also be testing to see what happens if you hand the faction-blessed item to a nonfaction character or a character in an enemy faction or if the character quits factions?

Should the blessing disappear in all of these situations, or is the item just supposed to be unequippable for the duration of the three weeks of being blessed, like a faction robe? If it should just be unequippable for the duration of the blessing, when should the item become unequippable for a character that is leaving factions--when they go to the faction stone and elect to quit or three days later when they actually leave the faction?

Can Powder of Fortification be used on these items after they lose their faction blessing?

We came up with a question for you with regard to the change where the CL can remove traps. When you use the Remove Trap skill, you (or another character) have to reveal the traps to be removed by actively using the Detect Hidden skill. You can't use the Remove Trap skill to remove a trap unless you can actually see it.

Can you tell us how the CL is going to be able to remove traps if they don't have Detect Hidden skill and can't even find the traps to begin with? Or are they going to just have an option on the CL gump that lets them clear ALL of the traps that have been placed? I hope that it's not an all or nothing deal for the CL to pick up traps, but can't quite see how the CL is going to be able to remove individual traps if he or she can't even see them in the first place.

Thanks.

J

Jeremy

Runics, yes, I would assume ASHs too.

We're shooting for TC over the weekend, Origin next week. Y'all won't be able to test the three-week things, obviously, but we can hit the rest of it.

Feel free to bang around on the edge cases - I know QA has hit on it, and this request is mostly for purposes of having an updated doc, but there may well be stuff that gets weird around the edges. It is UO, after all.

That's a good question about PoF - I don't think so, but I'll check.

Likewise a good question about the remove traps stuff - I'll ask.

G

Googly

The page lists traps costing 1,000 silver per. Haven't checked your changes on TC, yet, but at the moment they only cost 250 on production. Is this being changed?

What about crafting factions scrolls and imbuing a staff with it? Will this still be possible, like the olden days?

Edit: That doc is also worded to make people think they require they have a deadly poison or greater explosion for their respective traps. From what I remember (again, haven't checked anything as of this posting) you can use any strength potion. *hops on Tinker to go find out for sure*

Another edit: Actually, most of the silver costs that are listed are off. Unless this is a change in the publish I haven't noticed. Especially with the vendors.

My last edit, I swear: The doc also contradicts itself. States you must be rank 2 to ride a war horse (currently true). At the very end it says "War horses have no rank requirement to ride them." o_O

Okay, I lied. One more edit: Has nothing to do with the accuracy of the doc...but should metal armor actually cost more silver than leather? Fact is, few people use metal armor post-AoS, would be nice to see something that would encourage it. Perhaps by making leather very expensive to imbue because of its...natural...oils or some crap. Lol.

J

Jeremy

Heh, Googly, that's precisely the sort of thing I'm looking for. The page is wildly out of date, and not just in respect to Pub 54.

G

Googly

Is there any way to lock a town to each faction, for testing purposes?

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
THE GREAT STATE OF WISCONSIN
The only faction item I see people crafting will be clothes.. and purely for the colors. Doesn't make sense for armor or weapons, unless I'm overlooking something. Insurance and the AoS properties pretty much killed the usefulness of the faction crafting system.

Maybe I'm overlooking something.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
The only faction item I see people crafting will be clothes.. and purely for the colors. Doesn't make sense for armor or weapons, unless I'm overlooking something. Insurance and the AoS properties pretty much killed the usefulness of the faction crafting system.

Maybe I'm overlooking something.

It'll be used on Siege where we don't run around with godlike suits. As long as they make sure they aren't blessed on Siege...this could be very interesting for us...la

G

Googly

" All faction members that are in the general vicinity of a trap created by the other factions get a display alerting them to a trap in the area. The faction members opposed to the trap�s creator can then attempt to reveal the trap that may be in the area by using their detect hidden skill. "

Not true. Only faction members with detect hidden will get a display alerting them.

" Traps can only be removed by opposing faction members through the use of the "remove trap" skill and the faction-trap removal tool. If the trap is not removed via this skill and tool, it will reset itself infinitely until removed. "

Again, not true. They will decay after 24-hours one way or the other.

"Traps placed by one's own faction can only be removed by the faction commander. The Faction Commander is able to remove their own faction's trap without any skillcheck."

Wrong. The traps can also be removed by the person who placed the trap. They will, however, require the proper skills and equipment.

" Horse: 500 credits (must be rank 2 or higher to ride) "

True. Also costs 3500 gold, however.

"The faction member that wishes to create the trap must have at least 90 skill points in tinkering before they can create the trap."

Not true. Only 65 tinkering is required.

And to reiterate, the strength of the potion does not matter as far as creating the trap. It as long rumored that it effected the potency of the trap...but I do not believe this to be true. As well, traps will only cost 250 silver per.

Now onto what I think I know, but am not certain of:

Horse breeders cost 1,000 silver with a maximum of 10 in the entire faction. Haven't been a finance minister in a long time, but I do believe all vendors cost 1,000 silver.

Traps being visible for 1 full minute upon being detected...I'm not certain this timer is exact. I never actually sat there with a stop-watch to find out, but I'm fairly certain they don't hang around for quite a full minute.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
THE GREAT STATE OF WISCONSIN
It'll be used on Siege where we don't run around with godlike suits. As long as they make sure they aren't blessed on Siege...this could be very interesting for us...la

Well if they aren't blessed then what is the point? Why not just make normal armor?

By the way, not everyone's post(s) or concern(s) are directed at Siege. /la

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Rico, you want faction-enhanced items to be unblessed so they are stealable / lootable on Siege, right?

However, I assume that on Siege you still want the item to retain its special color and say it is a faction item for the three weeks after it was crafted and be unequippable during that time by a character not in factions or that is in an opposing faction. Correct? And if a thief on Siege manages to nab one of these items while it still says it is a faction item but the thief is not in the appropriate faction to use such item, said thief should be able to get the darn thing out of his pack. Correct?

M

MoonglowMerchant

Well if they aren't blessed then what is the point? Why not just make normal armor?

By the way, not everyone's post(s) or concern(s) are directed at Siege. /la
Ok, lets say I'm going to put on some armor and go fight some people.

I can put on plain old armor or runic armor or cursed arties or jewels or whatever and when I die the guy who killed me can take that stuff and put it on or save it for future use.

Alternatively, if I am in factions, I can take a piece of armor, or runic armor, or a cursed arty, or a jewel or whatever and using my hero/evil powers I can make those items hero or evil. Then, if I am killed by a member of an evil faction, he won't be able to use my hero items or vice versa. This option requires life force which you get by killing faction monsters.

Still another option is to faction craft armor. Now, that armor can only be worn by people in my faction. So, if I'm killed by someone not in factions or in any of the other factions, they can't use it. This option requires faction silver which is also obtained from faction monsters.

If it does nothing else, it makes silver worth something again. I think I've got about 50k silver right now and other than buying a faction warhorse, it has no use at all.

Edit: This is one of the reasons I harp on Jeremy sometimes about playing Siege. She seems to think that she can understand how Siege works without playing there, but since game documentation is so terrible, she really can't. No one could. That is why I wish she would get off her keyster and bother to create a character there. I don't like having a community rep who has never taken part in my community.

No one can accuse me of being Wilki's biggest fan, but at least he bothered to be present in the Siege community occasionally.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Heh, Googly, that's precisely the sort of thing I'm looking for. The page is wildly out of date, and not just in respect to Pub 54.
Jeremy, I think the page about faction crafting on Stratics may be slightly more up-to-date, at least perhaps for costs of items.

G

Googly

Yeaah...damn those useless traps. ;)

Even guards have...a...small amount of use....nah, nevermind, faction guards just suck.