• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faction blocking, legal?

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to play factions 7 years ago and I remember all the highly creative barricades of candelabras, wooden boxes and released dragons.

Now recently the relatively dead factions have been inspired with some life on my home shard (EU). We were wondering about this issue, whilst defending some sigils:
Is it legal to completely block off a base (no released pets though)? And by completely, I do mean completely. Every single tile in the base filed with an object of some sort.

We have no intention of doing something that is considered illegal, but it is a war, so all legal means are justified in our opinion.

One of our enemies showed up and kindly reminded us that we were to be banned, unless we removed the barricades. I personally doubt that GMs would actually ban us, but rather safe than sorry!

Some pictures of our glorious defenses:

G

I hope someone from EA answers this. I also have the same type question. Players used to block monsters many years ago. We were told that Blocking monsters was a No-No. But EA took it a step furter, and made it so monsters will destroy the blocking item. Since they did not trust us to just stop...

So, Faction or Not, Order/Chaos or not, under any circumstances, is it OK for a player to BLOCK another player, or even a location? The reasons for doing it vary greatly, and should not matter, is it allowed?

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I hope someone from EA answers this. I also have the same type question. Players used to block monsters many years ago. We were told that Blocking monsters was a No-No. But EA took it a step furter, and made it so monsters will destroy the blocking item. Since they did not trust us to just stop...

So, Faction or Not, Order/Chaos or not, under any circumstances, is it OK for a player to BLOCK another player, or even a location? The reasons for doing it vary greatly, and should not matter, is it allowed?

[/ QUOTE ]

(I hope kind GM Rikaun doesn't mind me posting this).

The ONLY limitation to this is, is that it's not allowed to use NPC - faction - vendors to block off the base. But anything else, that can be moved by a normal player is legal.

I paged a GM too and the answer came quick

I

imported_weins201

Using these items in themselves is not illegal but TOTALLY blocking the path is, All yu have to do is leave it so somone can walk thru.

Somthign like that I dont know if that will show but an s shaped path makes it legal abd gives for EASY choke kill points?

Bah didnt work but i think you get the idea.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Using these items in themselves is not illegal but TOTALLY blocking the path is, All yu have to do is leave it so somone can walk thru.

Somthign like that I dont know if that will show but an s shaped path makes it legal abd gives for EASY choke kill points?

Bah didnt work but i think you get the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
Completely blocking off the path in *factions* is legal.

G

"The ONLY limitation to this is, is that it's not allowed to use NPC - faction - vendors to block off the base. But anything else, that can be moved by a normal player is legal."

You mean like this?

TB is notorious for lame crap tactics like this. At least 25 Faction Guards on that one tile.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Thusly, why factions is dead and broken.

[/ QUOTE ]
Those guards can be killed in mere seconds. They are not a threat.

G

Heh, yeah, i know how. Throw a Revenant on them to where they all attack it. Run up to them in Wraith Form while they're distracted and spam the [censored] out of Wither.

G

I would like some clarification on this issue. I am not asking for change at this time, just a ruling. *nods*

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

<blockquote><hr>

I would like some clarification on this issue. I am not asking for change at this time, just a ruling. *nods*

[/ QUOTE ]

Been trying to get that for the last couple of days - EA, they don't say nothing. That post fell to page 2 *sigh*

E

eolsunder1

From what I remember from long ago, the Dev's have stated that blocking fully by any means in factions is illegal, and that you need to have a pathway through the obstacles. You can make a complicated pathway, but still you must have a viable means of moving through the obstacles.

They were especially adamant about locked down items that couldn't not be picked up (candelabras, water barrels, what ever), and npc vendors.

and I don't know, how about explosion potions thrown just in front of the grouped faction guards. You keep out of spellrange, while they all take explosion damage from the area blast.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I talked to a GM last night and he was quite clear:

-It is legal to completely block off the entire base with items, as long as the items are movable (candelabras and wooden boxes are movable). So you do not need a pathway.
-It is illegal to put barricades outside of the base.
-It is illegal to block a base with NPCs (like in the screenshots posted above).

The GM repeated this twice, so I am 100% positive that this is the current EA policy.

I

imported_Tina Small

<blockquote><hr>

-It is legal to completely block off the entire base with items, as long as the items are movable (candelabras and wooden boxes are movable). So you do not need a pathway.
-It is illegal to block a base with NPCs (like in the screenshots posted above).

The GM repeated this twice, so I am 100% positive that this is the current EA policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The three rules you stated mirror 100% what my understanding has been for the last 15 months of playing factions.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If we could get confirmation from an EA rep, this would be good to sticky in the Factions forum FAQ.

It would save a LOT of wondering for the future.

-Skylark

G

And there in lies one of the larger issues in the entirety of UO...inconsistancies regarding what is legal or illegal for anyone to DO in this pixel world. One day someone pages a gm about *insert whatever here* and that gm says it is legal, another gm will say ...illegal an hour later on some other shard.. and if no one pages at all............... issue is ignored entirely.

Sight the Burglars Bandana...was utterly legal one day...then a pile of players opt to page gms about them, and suddenly with NO warning those end up illegal illegal to bless all over one shard..................they were to be so LATER ON, but no official date nor ruling as to WHEN that would transpire. But due to peeps whining complaining about some *perceived* enemy having a blessed one yet, and they not having one yet...they paged............... people got jailed...and everyone got warned no more blessing of burgl. bandan. before they were officially declared an item that no longer could be blessed. etc. It is often the players that page on others whom may be doing something LEGAL, or something that they do not like even though it may still BE legal, that upsets the apple cart, making changes even before they are *officially* declared legal or illegal ..and others then get in trouble for it.

And then again...one day one gm enforces a real rule, next day same gm or another one will NOT............. so ya end up with a *nation* of pixel people utterly confused as to what IS legal or illegal be it simple parrot totals on their home, goza mats, or candalabras around a faction base...etc. and what was ok today or yesterday cuz no one griped...ends up tossing your acct. in UO jail the next minute...no OFFICIAL warnings or deadlines when they *change* things sometimes either. And oft things only become issues cuz others *just had to complain and *page enmasse*, almost in a delibereate attempt TO get some other players' accounts ...pkd ie banned or uo jailed.

Inconsistancies regarding the game rules, and how to deal with em *each time* per call, consistantly, help destroy the UO world or infrastructure like a nation that says it is illgal to make moonshine yet ignores the stills till *enough* players see a still in some one's home whom they do not like, and page enmasse on that one customer,...meanwhile the busier ones the dupers, exploiters and scripters keep on trucking unimpeeded, cuz others have to busy GMs and page gms about silly stuff like rubble, goza mats or parrots on some other customers' house designs.