• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Faction and PvP Noob!

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, After 12 years UO maybe its time for me to explore a strange new world. :)

I will have to make a totaly new character for it. I ask you all what would you advice me to get for race, skills,stats and maybe even armor/weapons.

I'm open for all suggestions. Help me to make my first steps. :)

Thanks.

C

Cloak&Dagger

You give us little to work with. Perhaps maybe you could tell us if you prefer one template over another? Or maybe you already are very good at mage pvm but not dexxer pvm? would mean a mage would be more suitable for you.....

I think with the current racial attributes most people want to be a gargoyle.

The rest required what I asked for.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In PvM I'm pretty good in close combat. If my mages are great in PvM its combined with bard skills or tamer.

So maybe i'm better of with a dexxer.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For factions a mage or an archer is a lot better than a swords/fencer type, mostly because defending/raiding fields are often excessively placed, and you can't do much of anything with a sword or a kryss :p

C

Cloak&Dagger

In PvM I'm pretty good in close combat. If my mages are great in PvM its combined with bard skills or tamer.

So maybe i'm better of with a dexxer.
Prime does have a good point, but then if you find yourself a good group to play with, they can help to remove the fields and help prevent more from coming up.

For a dexxer a simple samurai build is easy to use to learn how to pvp. There is also a Thread about templates, If I find it I will edit this post with it.

Far as Armor goes, Assuming you go with Gargoyle for their racial abilities, I have little actual advice since I do not know all the pieces well enough to give you the info required.

I can give you some basic stats tho, You want to get at least 70dci to counter act hld, could also try to get 70hci in case of hla (less important than 70 dci though) hml is the only leech worth having, also hit lightning is a good bet to have on a weapon. as much mr as you can get after all other mods (45hci, 70dci, ssi(however much you need for the weapon you choose), hld, stat increases as needed (you will want to have high dex, 150 for max healing speed))

I know I am forgetting a ton right now, but for some reason I can not seem to think about everything required.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frarc,

What type of character do you want to play.... even before template considerations; good guy, bad guy... hero or murderous villian, etc.

Then you can narrow the down the play style and faction that might appeal to you..... If you are drawn to the good side then TB or CoM might appeal to you, if you want to explore your dark side then SL or Minax.

What shard to you play? I find the best way to get involved in factions is to connect with a few guilds in game that can show you the ropes. They will help you build a suit, make template suggestions based not on just good pvp templates but what templates work in the group tactics and templates used in your faction which might also include a template they are lacking.

A good faction guild will teach you more then pvp which is only a part of the overall faction system (some will tell you pvp is the only part that matters and others will say pvp is only a minor part). They will teach you the in's and out's of faction play. How sigils work, statloss, town control, traps, points, silver, rank, guards, defending, raiding, etc, etc.

If you are looking for a shard to start playing factions, I suggest Great Lakes or Origin. GL has 4 active factions, and its one of the few shards that you can still get the full faction experience. Origin might have increased faction activity as people will want to test the new faction changes before they go live on the production shards.

Lore

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play on Drachenfels and Napa Valley. But for this Faction adventure i could still try a shard thats more into faction things. I don't want to jump into faction just like that and then hope it will work out. If i do this i want to try to do it right so i don't have to give it up after a week. :)

Thats why i came here for advice to give me a good idea what direction to go. I'm sure there will be plenty of ideas from people who have alot of experience.I will also try out different templates on TC first before i will start my own character.

I'm not sure yet what faction i will join. I don't realy see a faction as good or evil. Good and evil just depends on what side your on. I also keeping a eye on the new changes that going to come for faction with the 3 instead of 4 faction.

I appreciates everyone advice on this. :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a first question: Would a Gargoyle with throwing and Mysticisme be any good?

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Susie, bows to the Knight Frarc*

My lord, it has been many years since last we spoke. I see you have chosen to join the war for control of the lands. Knowing of your strong belief in the virtues and your strength of character I believe you have but one choice, to join the ranks of the True Britainnians.

To that end, I have resources in several lands. Any an all are at your disposal; you have but to ask.

My friend, I play factions on Sonoma, Origin, Lake Superior and Great Lakes. You gave me much when I returned to this game and you taught me to work hard and with honor. If you need help with anything on a shard that I play or I can be of any help with advice, you know how to reach me.

The shard and faction that you choose will indeed be better for it.

*bows to her friend and mentor*

C

Cloak&Dagger

As a first question: Would a Gargoyle with throwing and Mysticisme be any good?
Throwing AND Mysticism? I would say that Throwing has a lot of drawbacks to be a viable pvp skill, to make throwing work optimally requires swords & throwing, not to mention the normal off skills of tactics/anatomy. If you really wish to play a Gargoyle then Mysticism is seems to be the flavor of the month.

For some reason I keep drawing a lot of blanks as far as advice goes, aside from what I already mentioned, maybe I should get some sleep may help a bit.

Also I play on Napa Valley, most recently it is the only shard I have been playing on due to having limited time I could not play on both shards. Oh forgot to mention the other shard is Atl, :p.

If you need help on Napa I am willing to help, I play Shadow Lords on both shards. I can offer advice and help you learn by sparring, going out and field pvping, giving you tips and such. Maybe even help you with attaining points if you are leaning towards using faction artifacts. If you would like to get together on napa (or atl, although atl chars are currently neglected) PM me and we can see where that leads. :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, i will need all help i can get.

If i go for a Gargoyle with Mysticisme What other skills should go with it?
Focus? Magic resist?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks, i will need all help i can get.

If i go for a Gargoyle with Mysticisme What other skills should go with it?
Focus? Magic resist?
magery
eval
mysticism
med
focus
resist

just do something like that to be fairly basic.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Basically as Cetric explained it. Keep it simple at first, don't try to rush anything to advanced.

A

A Rev

magery
eval
mysticism
med
focus
resist

just do something like that to be fairly basic.
Agreed, if money / resources are an issue you might want to think of dropping the med for wrestling.

Not needing the mage weapon and having a shield can make resistances easier to attain.

Downside is the mana regen, conserving of mana will be a key skill you will learn fast.