• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Facet of Maps Value

tombomb84

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I want to ask those of you who have sold or bought treasure maps on vendor search, do certain facets sell for more than others? I play on Atlantic shard.
Thanks!

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Trammel and Felucca maps sell for more because of the chance for frost dragons and fel's extra luck boost.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
At L5 and below, they're generally the same price though. L6 and L7, Felucca maps sell for a lot more.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One other thing, Tokuno maps of any level may be valued less if not on the same island as Zento (Makoto-Jima).

Trust me, You really don't want to try a map in the Bake Kitsune woods on Homare-Jima, or any of the areas north of the volcano on Isamu-Jima, without at least a second player as backup. I had two maps near the northern mouth of the pass on the east side of the island (where the statue on a pedestal is), and the active number (with near instant respawn) of Tsuki wolves there (4-6 on screen at a time) was dangerous even for 2 tamers, once you added in level 4 map spawn to the mix.

While the spawn is pretty much the same levels 1-4 for Tokuno, at level 5 local creatures replace the standard tram/fel ones, and they are far worse (and, apparently, devourer of souls is considered "local"). And, most of the maps seem to be much more likely to be in a heavy, nasty spawn site (Rune beetle or Yamandon spawns, masses of Tsukis, or in the tangled terrain of the Kitsune Woods) than any clearer, medium/light spawn area (last 32 maps I got through random hunting, about 8 in Tsuki areas, 6 in the rune/mage area NW of Serado, 6 in the Kitsuni Woods, 1 where yamandon point meets the Tsukis (so I got the yamandon, rune beetle AND lots of Tsukis plus the chest spawn), 1 at the Homare rune beetle, 3 in the Rai-jin area at the north end of Homare, 1 in the undead (rotters, bone mages, revenant lions) are north of the Citadel. That's 26 in "you got to be kidding me!" places.
The remaining 6 being 1 in the wastelands, 1 at the edge of the Zento housing area, 1 in the kappa area south of the Isamu gate, with all the ship wreckage, 1 in the ruins in the kappa area by the spiders, and the last 2 on the road between Homare gate and the Kitsunes.

That's a ratio of bad areas to good of about 4/1, that's actually an improvement. Before this last batch of t-maps (where I collected 150 maps, and started doing them lowest first), I'd NEVER had a Tokuno map that wasn't in Tsukis, Rune beetles/mage or INSIDE the Serado area, since the maps made their first appearance (and probably had done 50 or more Tokuno maps over the years, mostly level 6s). That map south of Isamu gate was the first map I ever got on Isamu that was south of the latitude of the Citadel & Spiders (if you drew a line across the map). And, I've not had a Homare map south of the Homare Gate & shrine either.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On the other hand, High-end Ter Mur maps (level 6s & 7s) are practically cakewalks compared to the other facets.

artyboy

Visitor
If you have a Tokuno map with heavy spawn just lure the spawn away before you do the map. If you don't want to fight the spawn from the chest you can also lure that away. I haven't had problems with spawn reset in Tokuno.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you have a Tokuno map with heavy spawn just lure the spawn away before you do the map. If you don't want to fight the spawn from the chest you can also lure that away. I haven't had problems with spawn reset in Tokuno.
Thank you for proving you've never done any Tokuno maps. The only areas without potentially lethal levels of naturally occurring overspawn are on Makoto Jima, within sight on-screen of the zen maze on Homare Jima (2 maps there - gotten within minutes of each other), or the southwest end of Isamu Jima (so far, a grand total of ONE map there). I've taken groups of 2-3 helpers there, experienced tamers, whose pets got overwhelmed just by the local stuff, resulting in the tamer dying. There's too much to lure off, and it won't STAY lured off (I sometimes think that the devs were experimenting with anchoring spawn when they made Samurai Empire).

The areas almost all of my maps seem to fall into have WAY too many local spawn in the area (4-6 Tsuki wolves ONSCREEN - and they always seem to find their way back if led off - or you pets/summons go chasing them despite their being 3+ screens away). Or, in a woods full of dozens of bake kitsune, or mages & runes, or Fan Dancers, ronin and Ninja. That's not counting the ones that spawn inside the Serado area (I had one chest THREE STEPS from the altar).

artyboy

Visitor
Apparently I've been very lucky. I bought a bunch of 10 packs of Tokuno level 6 maps a while back and have been soloing them regularly. I only had issues with one map but I got that one done eventually.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Luck - closer to miraculous, in my view. I'm beginning to think that different characters or accounts have different map seeds when the characters get the maps, so someone collects maps and gets the same areas over and over more often than areas they rarely see, and it might not be the same for someone else.

So far, counting all levels, ever since Tokuno maps came out (rough estimate, based on memory and old UOAM files) -

1 map on Isamu west coast with kappas
1 map on Isamu south coast with kappas
3 maps on Homare road in the housing area between gate and the Bake woods.
3 maps in the desert of Makoto
1 map in the Makoto Zento HOUSING AREA.

Only one of these was over level 4, and that was the last.

Of the rest....

• A dozen or so, levels 1-7, in the Isamu area that is called Beetlescape when you mark runes (multiple native Rune Beetles, dozens of evil mages, ronins, ninjas, and the occasional lost Fan Dancer from across the road, or a Lady of the Snow that chased someone to the south side of the mountain)
  • a half-dozen or so in Isamu woods between the champ spawn and the Fan dancers, IN the fan dancer & ronin spawn area
  • another half-dozen INSIDE the Serado champ spawn, one of which (a 4 or 5) I dug while STANDING on the altar.
  • several dozen maps in the region between the Isamu shrine and the NE exit of the volcano, MOSTLY level 5-7.
  • Another dozen in the area east of the volcano, on either side of the pass that allows access past the volcano and to the NE volcano exit.
  • Another half dozen or so in the area south of the pass but north of the Citadel, full of lesser hiryu and revenant lions.
  • a couple dozen maps of all levels, in the Ra-Jin/revenant lion/oni area at the north end of Homare Jima.
  • a few to the SW of the mountain along the coast in the Rune Beetle spawn area there.
  • several dozen maps in the Bake Kitsune (and kaze kimono) woods, often in places where you can't see the ground or where the paths through the freaking trees are.
Less than 10, out of about 150-200 Tokuno maps, in areas that you'd feel safe taking a character into to farm spawn with 200-300 skill points in skills with ZERO offensive or defensive application (or even 100, if you soulstone between Cart & LP and don't use mining).

I've had players go with me, we get more maps off chest spawn and out of the chests - almost always in the same horrid areas as the maps we just did, when I decode them. Tamais and El of LA can vouch for this, as they are my most common TH partners.