• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Expansions I'd Love To See

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
It's a dream of mine.... I know we have many elements of this now but I'd love to see an ancient Egypt expansion. All in one place together. Devoted to just that. Pyramids, a Sphinx (another one lol, a larger one!), the Nile, the grand obelisks and statues, etc. Paths in and under the pyramids. Intricate burial chambers. Stuff you could steal from them. They had cool Gods too that could be worked in. They loved cats, and I love cats, so we need a lot of cat stuff. Sets of coffins would make great deco containers like the... ummmm.. cat coffin things lol. Show me Cleopatra! It would be nice if they had themed housing for the different lands also. Only certain tile sets could be used etc. An entire land of that sorta thing. I'd really like to see Rome too but I think Egypt would be easier with a lot of desert and stuff and many elements like mummies and things could be reused.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds good. Even it it just for the next Halloween Event.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I sent Draconi a detailed design to add the underdark to the Underworld... Complete with an idea for a new peerless/boss encounter with a Drowish Matriarch... which would add small one handed crossbows, new clothing, more ninja like stealthers, a VERY nice nasty spider... Driders... and a quest with a guy who wants you to bring him things from the overworld and in exchange he'll trade with you.... or sometimes just try to kill you.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
None of those ideas are particularly Ultima.

I'd much rather they expand High Seas to streamline every aspect of cannoneering, include more ship-based enemies (undead ships, etc), a sea-based champ spawn, fishing quests that aren't a complete RNG-dominated BORE, and a reason to bother going to Buccaneer's Den; such as a new dungeon created: the smuggler's tunnel between the Den and Britain.

I'd much rather they finish Eodon and (at least) add the Haakur tribe of Neanderthals as an underground city, and at least give a fictional reason that the other missing tribes aren't there. But then I'd also like some non-grindy reasons to set foot in the valley...

I'd much rather they finish Ter Mur... The walled circus area, NE of the Royal City, is still completely unutilized (and inaccessible on most shards)

Let's finish what we've already started.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I would really love to see a starwars expansion, so we could all make jedis..zwooom zwooom around with lightsabres and fight for good or evil, and fly around in spaceships.
You can already do all of that in SWTOR

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
None of those ideas are particularly Ultima.

I'd much rather they expand High Seas to streamline every aspect of cannoneering, include more ship-based enemies (undead ships, etc), a sea-based champ spawn, fishing quests that aren't a complete RNG-dominated BORE, and a reason to bother going to Buccaneer's Den; such as a new dungeon created: the smuggler's tunnel between the Den and Britain.

I'd much rather they finish Eodon and (at least) add the Haakur tribe of Neanderthals as an underground city, and at least give a fictional reason that the other missing tribes aren't there. But then I'd also like some non-grindy reasons to set foot in the valley...

I'd much rather they finish Ter Mur... The walled circus area, NE of the Royal City, is still completely unutilized (and inaccessible on most shards)

Let's finish what we've already started.
Well I think it comes down to being hard to charge someone $19.99 to fix things they've already done ;) The Bug Fix expansion! Only $19.99! lol They can call it "I Don't Know Why The Hell We Did That!" (But we fixed it). As a bonus you get some kinda dyes token.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I think it comes down to being hard to charge someone $19.99 to fix things they've already done ;) The Bug Fix expansion! Only $19.99! lol They can call it "I Don't Know Why The Hell We Did That!" (But we fixed it). As a bonus you get some kinda dyes token.
:rolleyes2:

If they attempted to put out a bug fix as a paid expansion, I'd be one of the first to light them up.:flame:

None of the additions or completions I suggested should be charged for, they're all normal content updates.

Honestly, BS needs to churn out a few hundred vanity items for the store before EJ. More imaginative things than robes or the :wall:-ingly myopic goblin morpher.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they add more adventurous atmosphere to the game, more immersion .

Some contents of the recent event already achieve these results. Hopefully they will add these designs to permanent game contents. I like adventure games such as the old D&D or AD &D series.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how about an expansion that targets 2 classes - thief and something (mage or warrior)
for the thief - plenty of stuff to steal and quests to steal, quests to stealth, etc

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
. They loved cats, and I love cats, so we need a lot of cat stuff. Sets of coffins would make great deco containers like the... ummmm.. cat coffin things lol.
not unless they fix that cats bark! it's a small thing, yes, but barking cats really grates me.... if you tame and release they'll then meow, otherwise they just keep barking, and a whole dungeon filled with barking cats?? this player would lose her sanity for sure

Adrahil

Adventurer
I would love them to finish and beef up areas that already exist in the game. 40% of the world has nothing, no monsters, animals, old ruins or anything. They are just barren of life or no reason to go there. Put some roving boss encounters in the world, get people out of Luna and back in the woods, jungles and lost lands. Have them drop account bound tokens to get armor, rares, resources. It really would not be a huge deal to do and with what they want the new town crier system to accomplish would showcase that system. I would love to hear from a town crier that the Justice shrine is under attack from a gang of ninjas or something.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I would like it if they kept UO heading towards a medieval world.
No Steampunk.
No basing it on Star Wars or Real World wars.
No Guns, tanks or lightsabres please!
Can we stick to the initial premise/foundation of UO & build on that?
Well... If we stuck to the initial premise you'd see a lot more of what you're asking not to see.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
No.

The VvV update could be WWII themed!
New in the Ultima Store, Tide Pods!
I don't follow this logic at all. Egyptian culture was established well before medieval times. Pyramids and such existed during medieval times. WW2 doesn't fit in any way.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't follow this logic at all. Egyptian culture was established well before medieval times. Pyramids and such existed during medieval times. WW2 doesn't fit in any way.
This is an Ultima game, we dont need any more fluff and bs that goes against 36 years of Ultima history. There has been some content that takes place in the Terran solar system but I do not recall anything with ancient Egypt. Eodon is on earth tho.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ultima has had spaceships, phasers (phazor), lightsabers (light sword), travel to alien worlds and takes place at the same time as the events of Wing Commander (they exist in the same universe).

Ultima has a long history outside the "medieval" era.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ideas for expansions that stay relatively true to Ultima or Ultima Online would include the following possibilities

1. An expansion/revamp of High Seas (already planned)
  2. A local monster revamp pass for Tram & Fel (currently, Tram feels like we're in the suburbs, and Fel feels like we're in a place where the only threats are the inhabitants preying on passers-by). Bring back the random human camps and bandits, without a name that ties to an ethnic group.
  3. An revert of a couple of the dungeons that were changed, and a reconfiguring of the monsters to be tougher, but not gimmicky. The current systems (such as the current Despise and Cora) could be turned into instanced complexes similar to the Shadowguard rooms and roof, tied to their home dungeon.
  4. Complete revamp of Ilshenar content. Let reds have access to Ilshenar (but without the PvP), make Lakeshire/Mireg & Mistas fully functional NPC towns for their races (but without guards), with the locals attacking or ignoring based on karma, and give us a new Ver Lor Reg. Massively revamp the dungeon contents (Rock Dungeon has had most of its inhabitants disappear over the last 15 years, few go to the classic Exodus dungeon anymore because of the crap done to it (that SHOULD have been temporary), and the south end of Blood became lethal)
  5. As the stand-alone Ultimas and UO have always had tie-ins to certain Earth elements, expanding on the EXISTING ones already in-game (such as the Egyptian or Mesoamerican elements that have shown up) would not be an issue, really. The hard part is to avoid the more religious aspects, both ancient and post-Roman European (after all, the people convinced that UO is "Medieval" seem to ignore just how much of that culture was centered on religion - a number of aspects of the game are more Renaissance to Age of Reason in that regard).
  6. There's really plenty of room to expand the Lost Lands (boy, do they need a terrain modification pass, and some decent native non-champ local spawn). Ilshenar, Malas, Ter Mur, Eodon - all of them have room for more expansion -
  7. Many areas (especially Ilshenar and Malas, but also including Haven) really, REALLY, need to have some of their old content restored, that got discontinued for what was thought to be good ideas at the time. For example, the old Paladin, Necromancer and Samurai new player quest chains should be restored in some form (replacing Horus' cave for the Necro, and substituting New Haven stuff for the parts of the old Haven paladin quest lost to the eruption), not as a replacement for the NPE, but as an EXTENSION of them. Those old quests taught me far more than I could learn from simple "Gain skills up to 50" quests. A publish that made quest chains for the various templates would do wonders for returning or new players. Some old purely decorative content should be returned as well - for example, the only true set of standing stones in the Stonehenge method (Integral to Ultima, after all, from the song "Stones"), which was lost in the Haven explosion, but it should have survived, since certain other things that were equally distant or closer did.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Ultima has had spaceships, phasers (phazor), lightsabers (light sword), travel to alien worlds and takes place at the same time as the events of Wing Commander (they exist in the same universe).

Ultima has a long history outside the "medieval" era.
Anything before UO doesn't count. It's more of a guide line.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This is an Ultima game, we dont need any more fluff and bs that goes against 36 years of Ultima history. There has been some content that takes place in the Terran solar system but I do not recall anything with ancient Egypt. Eodon is on earth tho.
So you really don't have an argument other than you want to add space ships to a medieval era game lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Hehe When I started UO I never even heard of Ultima. To me it was a medieval game with a touch of fantasy. Now it's becoming a fantasy game with a touch of medieval. I really didn't sign up for turtle dragons or whatever. So I just don't go there and we're all good. Although if Godzilla and Mothra were fighting it out I would have to go see that. If they trashed the Tokuno Islands while they were fighting I might even pay for that.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hehe When I started UO I never even heard of Ultima. To me it was a medieval game with a touch of fantasy. Now it's becoming a fantasy game with a touch of medieval. I really didn't sign up for turtle dragons or whatever. So I just don't go there and we're all good. Although if Godzilla and Mothra were fighting it out I would have to go see that. If they trashed the Tokuno Islands while they were fighting I might even pay for that.
Just think of the dragon turtle as an adolescent gamera then! :p

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
o Let the Kotl be the small dinosaurs that the original designers had them be, and not "aliens," because you expect to find dinosaurs in the valley of dinosaurs, right? Lizardman art is good, no need to make them funky colors.
o The Sakkhra should also be lizardmen.
o Add the Disquiqui, Haakur, and Nahuatla tribes, along with lore about how they were able to hide.
o Fix the inane messages that come up when you hit Gregorio the Brigand or the Great Ape, or try to enter the chambers of the Myrmidex queen or Zipactriotl.
o Put some tameable jaguars in Eodon.
o Allow altering of the Aloron Armor and Darden Armor for gargoyles.
o Unisex Darden armor. Sheesh.
o Put wingless gargoyles in the gargoyle cities.

Did I get off topic? Okay, back to expansions.
o Mars, but leave out the historical figures.
o Expand Tokuno to include ruins of the things from The Lands of the Feudal Lords.
o A continent of Pagan.
o A tower of Kilrathi
o The Serpent Isle and a few other things from Ultima VII II.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Sakkhra inconsistency can be handled simply. Add an underground area in the current village, and have it the home of the "true Sakkhra", who took in the human tribe that took their name. The humans act as the protectors for the diminishing reptilian Sakkhra, who are desperately trying to save their race from extinction. You could end up building whole quest chains from it, should the players decide to help.

IIRC, there were comments/rumors way back in 2003 that AoS's two new character types (paladin & necro) were based on a different RPG fantasy line (of EA's?) more than they were based on the Pagan necromancy (something we were reminded of, last year). If that were true, perhaps that would be another area to be used for material. (hell, if you remember correctly, RG went on record back then as being against EVER associating the classes introduced in SE with Ultima).

I have another idea for "new" content.... New community collections, that rebuild broken things in the world. There are ruins scattered across most of the facets. Have (mostly) untimed collections that people can donate to (scaled by difficulty) to do things like rebuild old stone ruins into functioning Healer stations, rebuild (or build new) bridges (say, a bridge to the Yew farms, where the road disappears into the sea - or rebuilding some of the broken bridges in the Abyss or underworld), etc. Once the structure was complete, its usability would be based on further donations (falling into disrepair if not funded)