• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Excuse me?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is a more thorough video of what he did previously. Guess it gets the clicks. I do remember AOL going from hourly to monthly. I think that was another catalyst to the internet really blowing up.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahhh hourly AOL on dial up. There's a pleasant memory for me. A friend's dad had a computer before my family did and my friend and I would get in trouble all the time for racking up his dad's bill.

We also played a lot of Lord of the Realms.

Edit: this was before my UO time, my family got a Gateway (moo cow box and all) in April 2000 and UO was my first game that I was allowed to buy; that was in May. My dad was NOT happy that there was a subscription fee attached... he still to this day is very reluctant to share any info online.

That was JUST before Tram. I bought the T2A box and my friend (same friend) got the Ren box a month later. I remember FINALLY saving up enough gold for a 7x7 (60k?) and house placement was turned off because Tram was so close. We used the moonstones to switch facets.

Ahh sweet nostalgia.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lost me at his dissing of Pong. He obviously never had an Atari or was probably not alive in the 70s or 80s.

Also he did not know that individuals also had servers that had MUDs on them and you shared phone numbers of other servers to call.

Decent spiel about UO.

Last edited:

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Meez watched diz whoel ting. Now meez wantz uh quarter pounder wif cheeze. Dat wuz sum sneaky sneaky brilliant marking McD's - yooz got meez!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Meez watched diz whoel ting. Now meez wantz uh quarter pounder wif cheeze. Dat wuz sum sneaky sneaky brilliant marking McD's - yooz got meez!
They were about to put things like Mc Donalds in The Sims Online and get commercial revenue. But EA backed off and closed the game instead...

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They were about to put things like Mc Donalds in The Sims Online and get commercial revenue. But EA backed off and closed the game instead...
This was a huge loss. When the Sims Online went down there were so many players not sure where to go. Stratics was full of suggestions to other games. The thing is, EA/Origin (can't remember) had to refund us months of subscription fees due to the way it was handled. Why, did they not offer a few free months of UO? It would have given players a place to go to, and build up the player base. I knew UO and brought two others over in 2009.

Didn't Ea own Pogo, Ultima Online, and Sims Online? All three were available to choose on the subscription page. Never understood why UO wasn't given an option instead of cash refund. UO was the most like TSO than any other game. And both owned by same company. I still miss the Sims, but UO had fixed that desire.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This was a huge loss. When the Sims Online went down there were so many players not sure where to go. Stratics was full of suggestions to other games. The thing is, EA/Origin (can't remember) had to refund us months of subscription fees due to the way it was handled. Why, did they not offer a few free months of UO? It would have given players a place to go to, and build up the player base. I knew UO and brought two others over in 2009.

Didn't Ea own Pogo, Ultima Online, and Sims Online? All three were available to choose on the subscription page. Never understood why UO wasn't given an option instead of cash refund. UO was the most like TSO than any other game. And both owned by same company. I still miss the Sims, but UO had fixed that desire.
When I called and complained, they gave me the refund and 6 months of Pogo.

EA did mot want to tarnish The Sims. They changed the games name to EA Land right before they closed it.

If UO moves us all to one server and changes the name of the game. Stop paying. :)

There was a better free site for card games and old board games like Sorry. I was playing on it a lot. Soon after they sold to someone else and it was not free anymore. Pogo looks like a child with a big crayon did the graphics now.

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If UO moves us all to one server and changes the name of the game. Stop paying. :)
Exactly!!!!!!!

Who were you and what "shard" did you play?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

EA did mot want to tarnish The Sims. They changed the games name to EA Land right before they closed it.

There was a better free site for card games and old board games like Sorry. I was playing on it a lot. Soon after they sold to someone else and it was not free anymore. Pogo looks like a child with a big crayon did the graphics now.
I played the Sims Online... it sucked.

The thing that the guy doesn't touch on that IMO made UO for me... and still would if it could be embellished more... was and is the Role-play aspect of MMOs..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Exactly!!!!!!!

Who were you and what "shard" did you play?
I played the whole time in Jolly Pines. I was just a traveling sim for a while and met a player that taught me Pizza.
I loved it, I made a Pizza house and found some really good room mates. We goofed off most of the time.
I had lots of fun playing with Juli Lyn. I was Mr Bo Jangles.

I reached top five in balloons.
1649994924854.png

There was quite a discourse over the top houses because people started paying others to sit at their house for hours or they had multiple accounts just sitting there.

But, during this time we reached #1 and stayed there for a long time.
1649995097556.png
The payout places acknowledged it.
1649995163103.png

At the end of TSO I changed to a house that made objects. Which was very cool.

When EA Land began we got our pizza crew back together and quickly skilled up and created a new Pizza House.

One of my room mates discovered the bug in EA Land that gave you free Simoleans by destroying an object.
So we were all rich by the first week.

I met Tigger at a meet and greet in Austin. She said she had to go Richard Garriots Castle for a party and invited us. No one but me knew who he was. I thought UO was in my past so I did not go. OMG I wish I did go.

This period had to be the most fun I had playing a game. We used Yahoo chat and talked to each other on headphones.

Another related to UO thing.

Hopefully when NL comes out, no one will find a way to make gold with a bug or exploit.

That really ruined the newness of EA Land.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ahhh hourly AOL on dial up. There's a pleasant memory for me. A friend's dad had a computer before my family did and my friend and I would get in trouble all the time for racking up his dad's bill.

We also played a lot of Lord of the Realms.

Edit: this was before my UO time, my family got a Gateway (moo cow box and all) in April 2000 and UO was my first game that I was allowed to buy; that was in May. My dad was NOT happy that there was a subscription fee attached... he still to this day is very reluctant to share any info online.

That was JUST before Tram. I bought the T2A box and my friend (same friend) got the Ren box a month later. I remember FINALLY saving up enough gold for a 7x7 (60k?) and house placement was turned off because Tram was so close. We used the moonstones to switch facets.

Ahh sweet nostalgia.
Gateway? I remember the "cow patterned" containers, etc. But try CompuServe (pre-AOL) on hourly using and Atari 800. Ahhh, those were the good ole days.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lost me at his dissing of Pong. He obviously never had an Atari or was probably not alive in the 70s or 80s.

Also he did not know that individuals also had servers that had MUDs on them and you shared phone numbers of other servers to call.

Decent spiel about UO.
Hell, I played in/on a MUCK for several years - sharing time with UO in my early days. I was one of the MUCK creators - storyline and some of the "rooms". That was fun - with a lot of good people.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I never got into MUDs. The students would play them during breaks. They would fall asleep in a dark corner when done. When they returned they hoped someone had not found them and stole their stuff. Only typing game I liked was Leisure Suit Larry. I probably could tell you what to type from beginning to end if you started now. Funny how memories work. Hint: wear that Lubber!

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I didn't like the typing ones either. I still don't really care for it in UO.

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mr Bo Jangles!!!! I was Willow from Jolly Pine. Butterfly and I pizza'd at you place often. (love logic games)

It would be interesting if UO would put decay in New Legacy. Just for a season to see how it worked. Sure would give crafters a whole new life.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mr Bo Jangles!!!! I was Willow from Jolly Pine. Butterfly and I pizza'd at you place often. (love logic games)

It would be interesting if UO would put decay in New Legacy. Just for a season to see how it worked. Sure would give crafters a whole new life.
Small world. Hope you had fun.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Oh no....A nearly 3 hour history of a video game genre? What's next, "the entire history of computer games with computers as antagonists?" "First Person Shooters -- Threat or Menace?" "A Study of the Ways in Which Computers in Video Games Have, or Have Not, Reflected Computers in the Times in Which Said Games were Written, With Special Emphasis on 'Blade Runner' and 'System Shock'?"

I'll pass.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After watching, I have the feeling that returning to UO for the second time in 2017 hasn't been such a bad decision. This game actually seems to have a future.

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Decent spiel about UO.

Ahh that brings back memories. LORD (Legend of the Red Dragon) and Usurper were prolly my top two fav BBS/MUD games predating UO.

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pogo looks like a child with a big crayon did the graphics now.
Got started in UO and Pogo back in 2004 due to an acquaintance beginning work at EA. Pogo was pretty cool back then. Checked it out again recently and hate the design now and most of the games. Most of my favorite games completely gone. Totally looks like made for kids now, can't imagine they have as many retirees frequenting the site as they did back then.