• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Exclusive Names?

B

BellaofCats

I was wondering how this currently works in GW. Are character names exclusive to that character?

Thanks,

Bella

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes. Nobody else can have your name once you get it. So if I picked a name John Doe as an example. No other player could use that name . It's already taken.

So if you have a special name you would like to have then don't tell anybody. lol I have one I use in Guild Wars, DaoC, Warhammer Online, and Rift. I plan to use it in GW2 or at least I am hoping lol.

B

BellaofCats

Yes. Nobody else can have your name once you get it. So if I picked a name John Doe as an example. No other player could use that name . It's already taken.
That's good to hear and helps me plan ahead. I have a few ideas on names but nothing concrete just yet. If the video you posted in this thread: http://vboards.stratics.com/gw2-general-discussions/259221-guild-wars-2-closed-betas-leak.html has any truth to it, I want to be ready with a name for each of my three starting characters - yes, I'm up to three now ;) - as well as an idea on their storylines, race, professions ect. Knowing names will be exclusive just may keep me home *sick* on the day GW2 is released just so I can be assured to have a chance at getting my character's name. :devil:

Told you I'm a fanatic!

Bella

B

Bella

What about last names? Are those something we can choose later after we get a feel for our character or, if we want one, do we need to come up with it upon character creation? Also, can we choose to have a first name only?

Thanks!

Bella

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All my characters have a first and last name. I copied off the GW1 wiki how ArenaNEt has already set up. We think the same will be for GW2.

The last step is to decide on a name. There are rules associated with the naming of your character that is dependent on which is your home territory. Note that after your character is created, the only way to change the name without deleting the character is to purchase the name change feature from the In-Game Store or NCsoft Store.
Warning: Do not create characters with obscene or offensive names, even indirectly, partially or suggestively. The filter will block most offensive words and words that have the potential to be abused. This is specifically mentioned in the Naming Policy. ArenaNet will offer you a chance to rename the character. Customized weapons and armor can still be used on or by a renamed character, because those items are bound to the unique id of the character, not to the name.If you recently deleted a character (you must also have started playing that character), that character's name is reserved for your account for about 24 hours before it becomes available to other players.