• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EVE User Population

V

Vorthaaa

It seems like EVE hits a new record every day. How high will it go? I think EVE is going to actually become a revolutionary product.... far far beyond what WoW has done. I'm talking 15+m players.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I highly doubt it will compete with WoW. EvE is not for everyone. It is difficult to learn and its play style is very different from other games. But for five years old it is doing very very well for itself.

B

Belmarduk

I highly doubt it will compete with WoW. EvE is not for everyone. It is difficult to learn and its play style is very different from other games. But for five years old it is doing very very well for itself.
Yes thats what I like about Eve - Its unique
As far as I am concerned there is:
UO , Eve , Wow + its many clones

UO is dead or dying (great shame - could be a good game if it werent under EA/Mythic..........)
Wow + little friends - dont even get me started....

G

GAMBIT35

Dude are you crazy. With only about 30k players online this game has less players than UO and nobody plays that anymore.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many EvE players have multiple accounts? To be honest, I'm not sure why people use more than one character slot. The benefit of EvE is, you character can learn all of the skills (over time) they don't have to have separate toons for pvp, or pve...la

S

stumpy

Dude are you crazy. With only about 30k players online this game has less players than UO and nobody plays that anymore.
Do you honestly think there is more than 30k people playing UO at once? The least I have seen in the last 4 days is 15,000 and that was just after server up.

T

Traveller

How many EvE players have multiple accounts? To be honest, I'm not sure why people use more than one character slot.
Many people have multiple accounts in EVE. Not like UO where everybody has a single account... :)

As far as the character slots on the same account are concerned I use them quite a lot. Sure, they are not useful most of the time, since you can train only one char per account, but there are some caps that can be bypassed by using multiple account (research slots comes to mind). Also they are good to keep an eye on the market of different regions, and as scouts.

S

sully

Many people have multiple accounts in EVE. Not like UO where everybody has a single account... :)

As far as the character slots on the same account are concerned I use them quite a lot. Sure, they are not useful most of the time, since you can train only one char per account, but there are some caps that can be bypassed by using multiple account (research slots comes to mind). Also they are good to keep an eye on the market of different regions, and as scouts.
Actually, from the much I've played on eve, I'd say the norm is at least 2 accounts. I've personally known people with as many as 8 active accounts.

This causes CCP's numbers to be off. Also, given CCP's promotions, I'd say they're not getting near the revenue that the number of active accounts would show. I'd love for CCP to be public and have to report revenue..

Now don't get me wrong, EvE is a decent game if you like the type of game(massively political on the human level on a space backdrop) and are willing to grind endlessly for resources.

Its a niche game and doesn't seem to have the same broad appeal that WoW does(cant really say much here, never played WoW) As long as the niche is undisturbed, and no one comes up with something like privateer online then my bet is EvE will live a good long while.

S

Sapphire Mote

I wonder if the whole ambulation thing will bring more users to EVE?

B

Belmarduk

Do you honestly think there is more than 30k people playing UO at once? The least I have seen in the last 4 days is 15,000 and that was just after server up.
Eve has over 250k active subscriptions - More than UO ever had.
Usually there are about 30-38k people on peaktime - I doubt that many were ever on in UO on ALL Servers at the same time.