• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Europa's Economy (sorry couldnt think of better title)

Z

zoop

For me as a recently (3 days?) returned player the shard looks very empty. Even Luna's shop galore has lots of empty buildings. I guess things are not as alive as they used to be, but let's hope I wont be the only returning or new player.

It does feel kind of daunting to become part of the non-rp economy again though. With, from my perspective, a limited amount of players left around that have gathered most of Europa's wealth.

I saw a board msg on a Luna shop saying "250k per week for a vendor spot". Why 250k when half of Luna is empty? I'm not sure if it's just in my head or not but it seems what's left of Luna business is a handful players passing the millions around. It feels like Im late coming to a world where the money has been distributed and there is no way to bridge the gap anymore.

I don't even mind as much as far as the actual gold on my chars is concerned. It *would* be rather silly if I could snap my fingers and be rich (again). It's just that it feels wrong to have so many shops and areas of the game being empty and vendors called "CLOSED" - and then shops that are still open price everything as if business is still booming.

Does anyone think this affects new player's becoming part of things, or am I overreacting because I can't afford anything? I guess what troubles me most is so much abandoned real estate - it should lower prices, not make Luna look depressing.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The players charging 250k a week for vendors is trash if you ask me. There are several shops in luna that offers free or close to free vendors spots.
Blue Wolf Traders is one of them. Alc have been offering free of charge vendors spots at prime locations for years.

The Economy.
I wouldnt say its broken, but it sure is inflated(I suck at english is that the correct word? ^^).
Things sell for a whole lot because its easy to get a lot of money these days. Some ppl still claim that its not easy to build millions, but they are wrong/missinformed/lazy/bad or something in those lines.

What this game needs is money sinks(And no! Insurance is not enough lol).

Z

zoop

The players charging 250k a week for vendors is trash if you ask me. There are several shops in luna that offers free or close to free vendors spots.
Blue Wolf Traders is one of them. Alc have been offering free of charge vendors spots at prime locations for years.

The Economy.
I wouldnt say its broken, but it sure is inflated(I suck at english is that the correct word? ^^).
Things sell for a whole lot because its easy to get a lot of money these days. Some ppl still claim that its not easy to build millions, but they are wrong/missinformed/lazy/bad or something in those lines.

What this game needs is money sinks(And no! Insurance is not enough lol).
Really? So I guess then it just means we don't have enough people anymore to fill the shops? :(

I really hope things fill up again at some point - I want to always be able to come back to Sosaria and find bustling shops. I used to love just walking all over Trammel and clicking everyone's little vendor.

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Zoop,

Having recently acquired a new luna plot in a prime location (rent free vendors) I can assure you that business is booming, I know from speaking to my many vendor renters that keeping a stock can be hard at times, esp the new imbuing regs!

I watched last night as one of my new renters hadn’t even finished filling his vendor before it was nearly sold out and he had to change the vendors title!

Europa has had a mini revival in luna recently in my honest opinion with at least 4 new shops opening up! We also have the long standing non luna shops, RAA, O*T and TaC! (sorry if i have missed any shops out) supplying essential goods and nice deco items.

Just my two cents of course

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alot of the Luna shops are empty because they are owned by one single person who doesn't seem to play UO anymore.. It frustrates me to hell!

However I think Europa is one of only a few shards who have such huge and popular shops outside of Luna. I go on Atlantic and if the shop isn't in Luna it isn't 'good'. The shops listed by Thalos above are very very good shops for essentials outside of Luna.

U

UOFree

Alot of the Luna shops are empty because they are owned by one single person who doesn't seem to play UO anymore.. It frustrates me to hell!

However I think Europa is one of only a few shards who have such huge and popular shops outside of Luna. I go on Atlantic and if the shop isn't in Luna it isn't 'good'. The shops listed by Thalos above are very very good shops for essentials outside of Luna.
To be honest he is selling 2 plots and there is already 2 other Luna Plots for sale that has been for sale for some time. So I do not really see why it frustrates you that he isnt playing much anymore. TGF is not just Darsus so why blame him only. If you want a Luna plot or anyone else wants there are 4 for sale atm. Darsus selling 2 of his plots.

Besides Atlantic has MANY great shops outside of Luna, just not placed like on Europa. Many of them are just placed randomly around and runes are being dropped.

-----------

Paying 250K for a vendor spot is pretty normal, just because some shops rent out for free thats fine to. Some shards charge 2m+ rent a vendor at luna plots.
Trading is what it is on Europa, just have to play the game the way you want.

O

Out of Date

Don't let luna fool you. I believe the majoroty of the vendors there don't sell much as their prices are at times double, or even more, of what they are just outside the walls.

For money, loot houses - it's what everyone else does :p
When a rich guy get's bored, he quits - a looter get's rich, then bored and quits -
a little further down the line the first rich guy comes back online and starts looting the two guys down below him, since they quit - unless they too just got back and are looting eachothers houses alongside him ;)

Idoc's make the world go round :p

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The thing about Europa is, unlike on many other shards, several of Europa's larger vendor malls aren't located in Luna. It takes a little while to find them, but they're out there.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
TGF is not just Darsus so why blame him only.
May well be true, but it's a bit difficult for most people to know that when the name 'Darsus' is on so many house signs as owner. Having the same name on a couple of dozen houses is surely meant to suggest they are at least part of the same 'chain' of shops - and since the only name that I ever remember seeing on a TGF is Darsus, it's fairly reasonable to assume one person is holding an awful lot of UO property.

Whether one person or several though, most of those shops seem to be either empty of vendors, populated with empty vendors, or have vendors appalingly badly run (titles that suggest they are selling stuff they don't have, unsorted piles of apparently random items, things with values that were right months or years ago but are so way out of line with the current 'economy' it looks very like they are not being maintained at all by their owner, and so on). Not the house owner's direct fault, of course, but that puts me off ever using TGF shops - even for those still with vendors, I have no clue at all where to find anything in them most of the time!

E

Evlar

I'm in the process of moving from Great Lakes. Luna vendors there are thriving with their greatly over-inflated prices. To give you an idea, just to be nosey, I got in touch with someone selling a house in the NW corner... they want $800 cash!! A good third of the shops are owned by one player also, so opportunities to get a house in or around Luna are very seldom.

To be honest though, I have rarely shopped in Luna... a little exploration of "out of town" vendors always yielded the best deals. Personally, I'm looking forward to discovering the vendor malls I've seen mentioned in Europa, spread around lands other than Luna. :)

As for setting up vendors, I've always found good well placed rune drops can be just as good as a vendor in Luna. Offer attractive and realistic prices and stuff will always move quickly.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm in the process of moving from Great Lakes. Luna vendors there are thriving with their greatly over-inflated prices. To give you an idea, just to be nosey, I got in touch with someone selling a house in the NW corner... they want $800 cash!! A good third of the shops are owned by one player also, so opportunities to get a house in or around Luna are very seldom.

To be honest though, I have rarely shopped in Luna... a little exploration of "out of town" vendors always yielded the best deals. Personally, I'm looking forward to discovering the vendor malls I've seen mentioned in Europa, spread around lands other than Luna. :)

As for setting up vendors, I've always found good well placed rune drops can be just as good as a vendor in Luna. Offer attractive and realistic prices and stuff will always move quickly.

You will find loads of coosy and well stocked shops out side the Luna walls.RAA is probably the best example, its been there since the birth of trammel.
Its still the shop i vissit the most.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zento in Tokuno has had a bit of a revival, the O*T shop on the west side and Polly's on the northeast corner are two good malls :)

Z

zoop

Funny how most people's reaction here, and in-game seems to indicate things are actually looking a lot brighter than they have in a while. I apologize that my perspective is a different one by "time travelling" to this point.

I happened to find a plucked Turkey that I could sell in the meantime. Perhaps more importantly though, someone crafted me a fresh new Tamer starter-suit for 150k. Something I didnt think possible after seeing so many leather pieces priced at 1mil a piece. Especially because it's rather daunting to get used to the plethora of stats currently available.

So I suppose It's not as big of a gap as I had worried.

Now all we need is more shops. (I saw an awesome plant shop on ice I think)

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad I could help lastnight Zoop.

Im in the process of completing my Shops of Europa Rune book to add to the library at the back of my luna shop. If anyone would like a Rune added to it, please pop one in my postbox. Off the top of my head I have so far

RAA
O*T (Zento,Umbra Road)
Miss Polly's(Zento)
COH shop(Umbra Road)
TaC!(umbra Road)
Tinkerbells(Umbra Road)

Ive got a selection of Luna shops..probably going to leave these out though as a quick run around luna will find all these.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah - time travelling as you put it must be terribly confusing. I am glad you are beginning to see it`s not as grim as you perhaps initially thought, having the old experience in mind when you started again.

I find Europa busier now than just a year back, but plenty of things have changed. The one change that do effect how busy you percieve the shard is the total landmass. Players are more spread out now than ever before. I am not sure how many players we would have to be now for the land to feel as it used to be.

You can play UO for years and never see the need to head to Luna for your shoppping. Make sure you get familiar with the shop hotspots, like Zento and Umbra road, and the other shops spread out like RAA. The gap might feel big - but it`s easier to get gold these days. I still don`t think the gap is bigger now than when I started playing and a small tower cost 3 Mil. Now there are other items that feels out of reach.

Find a guild that suits your playstyle and playing time. I would suggest Saor, but there other guilds as well of course :)

I love imbuing - so if you have a need just holler me.

E

Evlar

Imbuing ingredients are far cheaper here than they are at Great Lakes. I was most impressed, especially with the mined rare gem prices.

On the whole, I'm finding that there's a great spread of well stocked vendors far and wide beyond the walls of Luna. :thumbup:

M

mustafa

yes alot of shops outside luna walls the game done devote round luna ffs i hate luna so much and as people sayin RAA, MISS POLLYS, UMBRA ROAD(has a few), DESPISE SUPPLIES.

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which one of the shops in Luna is yours Thalos ?
HI Boogieman. My shop is Floral 'n' Hardy first shop out of the east exit of luna bank on your right has a lot of vendors dressed in blue