• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Erm, something you want to tell us Broadsword???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So as some of you know I'm in the process of packing up my toys for the long sleep again.
Now my Sub ran out the other week and I wasn't quite done so I popped over to Origin to buy a month pass.
Yup, I had to wait........ok so no biggie.
4 days later I still hadn't received the code so I started the process of trying to get answers form Origin.
They passed the buck up the ladder to the EA Reps and so on.
I finally got hold of somebody who actually knew what they were talking about and he said they were having trouble generating codes for UO and it may take a little longer but I would get my code as soon as its generated.

So I asked what the big hold up was..........now this is the kicker!!!!!
He said they were in the process of making UO F2P and had stopped generating codes for the subsctiptions.....
.....yup he said FREE TO PLAY!!!!!!

Something you want to let the rest of us in on Broadsword???
No wonder they are so quiet at the moment.....

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Interesting. Only problem is the money has to come from somewhere. That's the part I'm concerned about. F2P? I see this as a nightmare with houses everywhere and no one in them. I could honestly see like 3 people making accounts and placing a house on every empty spot on a shard lol

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
This could relate to the "in game store" they've been discussing. Everything cool will become uber rare and you'll have to pay real cash for it. F2P games in my experience always costs one a lot more in the end lol, if you want to be the least bit competitive that is.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The way EA operates, it will go something like this:

They will stop selling gametime, so as not to have to refund to us since it will be F2P. But they won't have F2P ready in time, so all our subs will lapse and we have to sit idle for weeks waiting on something to happen to let us back ingame. Now ya know why they don't want to lower that 90 day house timer :D

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
whoa! now this is news that needs a response from BS. i have mixed feelings about this change.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could see many reasons "why" UO would go F2P, Steam being the primary reason.
I could also see ways to make it F2P without ruining the game or history.
Just sad that once again the Devs seem to think we know nothing about this game or how best to save it, and by doing it all in secret in NOT the best way to go about it.

Then again it may just be some jerk at UO having a laugh at my expense, wouldn't be the 1st time. There is a reason EA is universally hated by players........

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I could see people just going bonkers in love with this idea until reality sets in. I realize nothing is going to curb the enthusiasm for this lol. Until reality sets in. I've played competitive F2P games. The reality breaks down to this. New uber item... ummm... ring of insta death comes out. Now you can buy the ring today for 10 bucks or earn it. If you buy it today you can own everyone and everything. Or you can "earn it" which will take about a year, lol. So after being owned by everything for a year then the Ultra Uber Ring of Instant Death Comes out. At this point you just were able to get the old ring which is useless now, lol. Having a fair amount of disposable income laying around this is probably a good thing for me. But for folks that don't want to drop an extra 50 or 100 bucks a month aren't gonna like it so much. Very quickly you will see a major divide between the "rich" and regular folks. I predicted Stratics membership will go through the roof with people lined up to complain, lol. I wouldn't be surprised to see houses cost real life cash monthly, cause you don't really need a house to play the game right? EA is all about the cash. It's the only thing they care about. If you think you going to be playing the game you are playing now for less, you will be surprised! I just wanted to get this in her so a year or 2 from now I can point back to it and say I told ya so ;) Most F2P games I've been involved with I would have begged to play a flat rate cause I was paying a couple hundred a month in reality. Sure it is fun to own everyone lol. Tons of top of the line guns and ammo and all. But you either pay the price or get out of the way of the big dogs. Be careful what you wish for :)

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The way EA operates, it will go something like this:

They will stop selling gametime, so as not to have to refund to us since it will be F2P. But they won't have F2P ready in time, so all our subs will lapse and we have to sit idle for weeks waiting on something to happen to let us back ingame. Now ya know why they don't want to lower that 90 day house timer :D
I'm sure it will be something like you can buy 100 million gold for like 30 bucks from EA and a castle will cost ya about 150 million a month in up keep so the place doesn't decay. That's how F2P works. The real nightmare to me is thinking the current limited team can do this in a way that isn't totally fubared lol.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doubtful

Edit, Ha, we posted at nearly the same time, thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.