• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Entry for Atlantic Community Spirit Contest

• Thread starter Aida Quantrex
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
A

Aida Quantrex

I never really had played any computer games before…
I was not very good at writing in English…even speaking it was a struggle for me…

However, in October 2007 my friend picked up this new game called Ultima Online, and I decided to give it a go and try it out with him.
Being from Denmark (tiny country in northern Europe), the shard with the best connection for us was Atlantic, thus this was where we decided to start our adventure.
Shortly after starting out we joined a small group of players who had formed a guild called Clan Moor. One of the tasks required to become a full member was to write a biography for your Character. This was a turning point for me. Being around only English-speaking people and wanting to be a part of this group, I had to learn to speak and type so they would be able to understand be better.
So I spent hours putting together this small piece of fiction – it may sound simple and naive, but it was written by a young woman, who made an effort like never before, and this was the start of a brand new chapter of my life.

I have always known, that the man who raised me, Voelund, an aging blacksmith, wasn't my father by the ties of blood. But in my heart I know that he was more of a true father to me than anyone else could ever have been. I often asked him to tell me the story about how he found me - a small, helpless child, wrapped in precious cloths, hidden in the back of a dungeon and left to die.

As the conscientious man he was, he took me to his home. He and his wife, Sif, had never had any children of their own, and they nurtured me, as if I was their own daughter. A few years after my arrival into this warm and comforting home, Sif died. She and Voelund had no relatives, so my life and upbringing was placed into Voelund's hands. Not for one single second did he regret that he had brought me into his home. When I was old enough, Voelund began my training in the noble trade of blacksmithing. Never once he thought that perhaps it was to hard and rough a trade for a woman. Because of my gratitude, love and trust in this man, I never found it inappropriate.

My father aged and as time passed, he got weak and ill. I saw it as my simple duty, to care for him, and to support him. Now I finally had a chance to pay him back. On a cold winter's day, as I was mining quite a long way from our home in Minoc, I was attacked by a pack of wolves. In spite of my strength, I couldn't do much, as I had never received any weapon training. I only had my axe, and it didn't do much damage against these wild creatures. They forced me closer and closer to the rock wall. I was trapped. I closed my eyes and waited for the final attack. Suddenly I heard yelling and the scream of a wolf in pain. I opened my eyes, and I will never forget the sight I saw. A knight dressed in gold and purple, fighting the wolves. He succeeded in killing 4 of them, and with a cruel, exact kick with its heavy hoof, his horse injured another one. At that time the rest of the pack decided to flee. I kneeled down in front of this man, but I couldn't find the words to show my gratitude towards him. Gently he tapped me on the shoulder, and asked me to stand up. Humbly, I raised my head, and I looked into the deepest blue eyes I had ever seen. Warm and smiling eyes. At this point I knew, that I would love this man to whom I owed my life for the rest of my living days. He asked me to mount his horse, so that he could bring me home. As he realized that I hesitated he introduced himself. "I am Sir Loke, Knight of Clan Moor, settled in Yew". Then I no longer hesitated. I felt safe.

Sir Loke stayed as our guest for several days. On the day of his departure, we were both very sad. He asked me to join him on his journey, as his wife, and return to his home and family, Clan Moor. I had to reject his proposal as I was loyal to my father, and his illness did not allow him to be alone or to travel with us. We mad an arrangement though, that as soon as I was able to leave Minoc, that I would send a messenger to Sir Loke in Yew. Months went by, and after a long illness, my father finally found rest in heaven. I was oppressed by grief, but I knew that the time had come, when I yet again could be together with my true love. I was happy, but yet very nervous. Would I be able to live in Yew, such a long way from my home in Minoc? I was going to make it; with Sir Loke by my side everything would be alright, and some day when I was found worthy, maybe I too could be a part of this clan he called family. Clan Moor!
I became a Moor, I stayed a Moor.
Time passed and through the years I have made long lasting friendships with all these wonderful people from all over the world.

In 2001 I was passing time at West Britain Bank and this fellow came up to me, asking me if I wanted to buy a pair of leprechaun boots.
I was not interested, but his name caught my attention as it was taken from the Norse Mythologi.
We talked a bit, and believe it or not, this man lived not more than 2 hours drive from my house in real life.
In an American game on an American server, I meet the man who I end up teaming up with in real life.
Today we are married and have 3 wonderful children.
I still have the very first flower he gave me, and it is still sitting ontop of my fireplace – a beautiful red valentines rose :)

http://i40.***********/30iz2i9.jpg

It is truly a small world.

Atlantic has a huge place in my heart.
Had I chosen another server, I would not have met Clan Moor and made so many fantastic friends that I will treasure for life.
I would not have spent such a long time learning to speak a foreign language, and most important for me, I would probably not have ever met my husband !

Atlantic is a fantastic playground, where people from all over the world come together to have a good time.
On Atlantic, age does not matter - Old and young find common ground.
On Atlantic, Cultures meet, and people that would never have met establish lifelong friendships.

We need to treasure the diversity of the inhabitants of Atlantic. We need to treasure the joy this particular place gives us.
THIS is why Atlantic deserves to have a new community center .